Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best turbo/SC upgrade for Cayman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Not exactly, DD, if you would like to continue this conversation we can take it to PM... i think we have hijacked this thread enough.

casey

Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Not really. You're the only game in town doing this on a large scale right now so interested people might as well learn as much your kit as possible. I'm sure there are plenty of "lurkers" reading this thread closely. However, if you'd prefer I'll message you directly.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Cajundaddy is infamous around these parts
Yes. Others are interested.
Most of my FI knowledge comes from aircraft rather than automotive. If a turbo single engine plane fails on takeoff... somebody often dies. With performance cars the results are usually less tragic but a $20k motor rebuild is still a serious problem. Of the dozen or so FI 986 I have been aware of most went up in smoke or removed the FI. Only two are still running and they have been real quiet lately. I never see them at the track.

It just seems that inherent characteristics of the M96 motor make it an unlikely candidate for FI (11/1 ratio, narrow tuning window, powdered metal crank and rods, IMS issues etc.). It is a very different animal than a Factory 997TT, or properly built FI Honda, Toyota, Ford or Chevy. I am a fan of FI. Just not yet on this motor. Details of how you are building and tuning a reliable TT Cayman are very interesting indeed.

Call me overly cautious. Just because we CAN bolt on and tune a TT 987 doesn't mean we SHOULD.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
The early M96 engine had numerous problems to begin with... RMS, intermediate shafts, head gaskets and dropping cylinder. We have sold over 3000 units and we have only heard from roughly 10 customers that have reported engine problems... is it attributed to the fact that it has a super charger on it? No, not likely at least... they have the same problems that stock cars have. The service manager from our local porsche dealer just told me that they did a 98 boxster with 36k miles on it. Mint car, great owner but an engine with inherant issues.

We build a great kit... we have customers sending us superchargers for rebuild or reseal kits with over 100k miles on the system.

The Cayman S engine responds very well to low levels of boost, and as you can see from people on this forum and on the Cayman Club that have our kit they are incredibly happy with it.

Chasing down Z06s on the main straight in a cayman is a pretty cool thing.

Bang for your buck it is hard to beat the power to dollar to hp ratio of our kits as well. Look at how much a chip, plenum, exhaust, intake, underdrive pulley and a few other odds and ends plus install on these cars costs... the power netted from these mods is not very substantial.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
We have sold over 3000 units and we have only heard from roughly 10 customers that have reported engine problems
Can you clarify these numbers? 3000 of what?