Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best turbo/SC upgrade for Cayman?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:50 AM
melmark is on a distinguished road
Best turbo/SC upgrade for Cayman?

What is the best FI upgrade for a daily driver Cayman? By best I mean:

-Most power
-driveability
-reliability
-cost

I know turbos generally win hands down when it comes to torque, but they also have more "issues" than SC's.

Is there a consensus as to who make the best SC upgrade?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
'ringmeister is on a distinguished road
only option currently available is the TPC turbo kit. about 10K. early reviews are good but there are not a lot of them out there. you are better posing this question (pretty much anything cayman related) on the cayman club. some of the members have the kit.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I talked to TPC last week and they have sold over 50 of their turbo kits so far and haven’t heard of any problems. Mine performs flawlessly and I have no complaints. It is definitely worth it and I would do it again in a flash.

Orton put out a SC last November with around the same power if that’s the way you want to go.

Other shops are working on FI systems but aren’t ready for sale yet.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
djmiroku is on a distinguished road
I know a guy with the TPC Turbo kit as well. He's had it for about 2-3 months now and no problems so far. The performance is insane!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
melmark is on a distinguished road
I know orton and VF engineering have SC kits. How do these perform?

Old 09-01-2008, 04:34 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
VF did a SC for their Sony Cayman but haven't seen anything more of it except when it was for sale recently...only their 997 kits are online. Orton has some pics and numbers on his website but you should call him to get more info.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
boostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of light
TACH MIAMI - Are you in Miami? If so would it be possible to get a ride on your car someday? I want to see a turbo cayman feels like. Starting to get the itch for more power on my car.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Boosted...stop by the meet this Sunday and you'll be good to go.

6at9 | sept072008 | aventurafl | 191st&biscayne | 9am-11am

Old 09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
melmark

I have only heard GREAT things about the TPC .. Alex @ maxrpm posted an install thread here not long ago and everyone has been excited about the results .

Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
boostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of lightboostedtwin is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Boosted...stop by the meet this Sunday and you'll be good to go.

6at9 | sept072008 | aventurafl | 191st&biscayne | 9am-11am
I can't this one, currently in Brasil for 2 weeks but the next one for sure. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
If you start getting real anxious about getting the turbo, PM me when you get back.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
silversurfer22 is on a distinguished road
I was planning on getting a cayman and installing the new 997 3.8 motor with direct injection and 30mpgs, but I think turbo is where it's at for only 10k. How much power are you guys putting down with the turbo. SC would be more linear power and easier dd, but I think the whining sound would get annoying after time. Thoughts?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:55 PM
TPC dynoed my car at 408hp to the wheels. Crank hp can be between 460 to 480 depending on how you play with the numbers with an 11 to 15 percent drivetrain loss.You can go for an extra 1/2 pound of boost or new headers for an additional 15 hp.The car behaves like a regular Cayman until more spirited driving results in more boost. The dyno is pretty linear due to the vario cam and lag is minimal.

Here is my dyno: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/1923549-post6.html

A 3.8 transplant could cost twice as much for 1/2 the hp of the TPC turbo.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
gtrmonkey is on a distinguished road
You Got a Couple of Opitions.

Ruf 3400k and 3800k conversion: http://www.rufautocentre.com/conversions/CaymanS.asp
Power: 294 kW (400 bhp) at 7,000 rpm
max. Torque: 324 ft-lb at 5,500 rpm
Price:Call
3800k:
Power:500bhp
Torque: 380 ft-lb
Price:Call

Orton Perfomance RSC500:
http://www.ortonusa.com/performance/...SC500-cayman-s
Power: 410Rwhp
Torque: 325 Ft-lb
Price: Around 20,000 USD

TTP Cayman S 3,4l Twinturbo conversion step III:
http://www.t-t-p.de/english/cayman-987.php
Power: 560 HP
Torque: 442 ft lb
Price: is call But I hear it around 30,000 USD.

EVO MS Cayman Twin Turbo:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...win-turbo.html
Power: 500 hp
Torque: ????
Price: ????
TPC Cayman Twin Turbo Conversion:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/t...6-p-53416.html
Power: 420 rwhp
Torque: 330 FT-lb
Price:Around 10,000 Usd

Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
HB.
HB. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gtrmonkey

Orton Perfomance RSC500:
http://www.ortonusa.com/performance/...SC500-cayman-s
Power: 410Rwhp
Torque: 325 Ft-lb
Price: Around 20,000 USD

TTP Cayman S 3,4l Twinturbo conversion step III:
http://www.t-t-p.de/english/cayman-987.php
Power: 560 HP
Torque: 442 ft lb
Price: is call But I hear it around 30,000 USD.
Wow, they have to be out of their minds charging a fee so high to boost the cayman. Looks like TPC is a no brainer, reliable and powerful. Why would anyone want to pay 2-3 times as much? The 560 HP TTP claims is impressive, but the cost is a sure turn off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Best turbo/SC upgrade for Cayman?