Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who have a Cayman instead of a Boxster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
jhp012 will become famous soon enough
For those of you who have a Cayman instead of a Boxster

I was just wondering what makes someone buy a cayman over a Boxster?

When I went to lease my Boxster I had know intent on getting a Cayman at all. I understand it looks good. But why buy a car w/o convertible or sunroof over open top fun? Unless you dont like a convertible or dont need a sunroof.

I know the Cayman performs better, but isnt this only noticeable on the track? am I wrong?

*Note* i am not trying to be offensive at all, just wondering.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:01 PM
themperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the roughthemperor is a jewel in the rough
One reason I can see is personal preference on styling. The Cayman and Boxster have different curves, especially on the rear.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
preference

It's all about personal preference, thats why Porsche makes a 911 available both ways.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute19000rpm has a reputation beyond repute
Rigidity, some people get sunburns easily, safety, and looks. Comes down to taste.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
personally choice.
and i'd choose cayman

Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Its more solid, looks better (although the RS60 is awesome) and performs better.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 AM
renzop is on a distinguished road
As others have said personal taste. To me the Cayman looks much better. Also it now has 10 more hp than the Boxster. And of course, being a coupe the chassis is stiffer so it handles a little better. But for me the looks, and slight performance edge do not outweigh the convertible experience. Add to that the weird price structure where the coupe is considerably more expensive than the convertible and it was a no-brainer choice for me. However if I did track events then the Cayman would be my choice.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
It's a hard choice for me too. The weather in L.A. is so nice but having a coupe with no sunroof is really awesome. The Boxster is $3500 less than a Cayman and you get a Cabriolet for less money. In a 911 you have to pay $10000 more for a cab! So I think because of the SoCal weather I would get a Boxster.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Eddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura aboutEddie has a spectacular aura about
For me it wasn't necessary boxster vs. cayman.

As everyone has different objectives, mine was to have a good platform to start building a project car. My comparison was 911 vs. cayman, and in terms of modding potential, the cayman seemed like the more interesting and unique project.

Don't get me wrong, I love the boxster, but with the cayman I can have a passenger in the car and still lay two golf bags down in the back, that was the biggest deal from me, aside from the above.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Thanks to Porsche's brilliant marketing team, the 2 cars are targeting completely different group of people, no matter how smiliar they are.

People have Boxsters don't really consider Caymans. Cayman buyers are more likely to choose between that or 911.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 AM
arenared is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ekam
People have Boxsters don't really consider Caymans. Cayman buyers are more likely to choose between that or 911.
Not for me, at least. I have a Boxster, and it's a really tough choice. I love the chassis rigidity of the Cayman which, to me, is very noticeable. The performance side of my brain says Cayman. However, I live in sunny California, and it's hard to argue how nice it is with the top down, not to mention the better visibility. The Cayman vs. 911, to me, is completely different. That is about the different driving dynamics of having the engine in the middle vs. the rear--both of which have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I am a mid-engine guy.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 AM
arenared is on a distinguished road
Eddie, your "project car" looks HOT! I love that picture. Good luck with your modding

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
angman is on a distinguished road
I love both cars and if I had a choice I would own both. However, the drop top option for me seals the deal. The pleasure that I get out of owning and driving the Boxster on those sunny days are just so enjoyable. We don't have great weather here in Vancouver all the time but when the sun is out I get to take full advantage. I haven't tracked my car before but will consider a few events in the future but that just isn't enough for me to go with the Cayman (even though I love the looks of it so much more).

I also believe that many people who dismiss the Boxster haven't actually had much seat time if at all in a convertible. I let me friends drive my car and now I have 4 other friends with Boxsters.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by angman
I also believe that many people who dismiss the Boxster haven't actually had much seat time if at all in a convertible. I let me friends drive my car and now I have 4 other friends with Boxsters.
That's valuable advice right there. I can't have my friends stealing all the pretty girls from me...

Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
I think they are both excellent cars. I haven't been behind the wheel of a cayman (yet), but i fully appreciate everything about them. I too, would have a hard time choosing between the two if I hadn't already purchased the Boxster. My hubby would choose the Cayman over the Boxster based upon looks and HP. He likes the lines better on the Cayman. I myself, love having that drop top. I guess it's a good thing he has the 911 and I have the 986 for variety when we feel like switching up!

Best Wishes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For those of you who have a Cayman instead of a Boxster