Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE retro fit and overide control for MY 2005 987s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 AM
berty987 is on a distinguished road
PSE retro fit and overide control for MY 2005 987s

Thought I would share some experiences I've had in retro fitting the OEM PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) to my MY 2005 987S 3.2L. According to Porsche the PSE cannot be fitted to Boxster or Cayman models made before MY2007 as the wiring loom is not present in the engine bay and cannot be added.
I can confirm from my own experience that the wiring can infact be added and the control system for the PSE activated in the ECU , even on early model cars such as my own.

The control wiring for the PSE is in two parts. The first is the activation , ie the button on the dash and input to the rear DME (control unit ECU). For cars already equipped with the optional Sport Chrono package the existing button is used to control the rear DME for the PSE as well as the Sport function. Selecting and coding the PSE option using the workshop tool activates the PSE control wiring output on the rear DME. For those cars not equipped with the sport function there are two options, either install your own switch and bypass the ECU altogether , activating the PSE directly , or purchase and install a new switch panel and mini loom from porsche.

The second part of the PSE wiring is the control signal from the DME , to the solenoid that activates the vacuum to the rear silencers, this opens and closes the flap valves that give the "loud" or quiet mode of the exhaust. There is provision to install the solenoid in the OEM position in the engine bay and route the required vacuum lines to the rear silencer control valves. Again as before the necessary parts can be purchased as spares from your local Porsche dealer. To install the wiring from the solenoid to the rear DME only a few simple tools are required and some repair pins for the plug on the DME.

The physical dimesnions and fixings of the cayman / boxster PSE exhaust are identical to the original item so it bolts straight on.Fitting the exhaust requires some patience as the top rear bolt is difficult to access. I found using 1/4 in extension bars and wobble joints allowed access over the top of the exhaust flange.

After fitting the exhaust and wiring up the PSE and control lines , I decided to go a step further and install a manual overide switch. This allows the PSE to be controlled independantly of the Sport chrono switch I had on my car , and also prevents the DME from switching the PSE to quiet mode between 20 and 40 Mph. The overide switch is a simple addition as it sits in line between the DME activation and the solenoid , allowing the control signal to be interrupted. As many will know the PSE is in "loud" mode when the plug is disconnected from the solenoid completely, the switch does the same task but is more user friendly and allows the PSE to be switched back at will. The PSE can also remain in loud mode without the need to select sport or PSE from the dashboard after the ignition has been turned off.

For anyone considering a similar install or wishing to fit the overide switch feel free to contact me via PM. I also have some spare parts made up ready to fit.

Some pics of the install :

Standard exhaust (muffler) next to PSE (front and rear of piture)
Name:  IMG_8692.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  58.0 KB

Exhaust flange bolts. Top bolt is most difficult to access

Name:  IMG_8687.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  43.3 KB

Position of solenoid valve for actuation of PSE in engine bay.

Name:  IMG_8742-1.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  162.2 KB

Routing cable for PSE control through spare plug in rear luggace compartment

Name:  IMG_8915.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  114.4 KB

PSE control retro fitted in place with vacuum lines and control wiring

Name:  IMG_8839.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  167.5 KB

Manual overide for PSE fitted in center console

Name:  IMG_8856.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  104.2 KB

In line plug mini loom to allow manual control of PSE without cutting existing wiring

Name:  IMG_9037.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  74.6 KB

Home made logo for overide switch

Results PSE Deactive

Results PSE Active

Last edited by berty987; 06-03-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 AM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
I would imagine to go that far you would've bought the factory button and fitted that in.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Perhaps you didn't pick up on the first read of my post. Cars equipped with sport chrono do not have a separate PSE button , the sport button controls the PSE instead. There is no switch panel available from porsche that contains both a Sport and PSE button , its one or the other , as the input to the DME uses the same pin. My car was already equipped with the sport chrono package , so I did not need to buy a new switch or install any wiring to allow the PSE to be activated in the DME. The only wiring required in my case was from the DME to the control solenoid. The additional switch I installed is to allow the PSE to operate between 20 and 40 mph , where the DME would usually return the system to quiet mode. The PSE is controlled on my 3.2S by either the manual button or the sport button , so effectively its OEM with a manual overide.
The manual overide also allows the PSE to stay loud without needing to be reset each time the ignition is switched off and back on. For cars with sport chrono such as mine , it allows the PSE to be active without the added complications of being in sport mode.

Last edited by berty987; 06-03-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM
edscayman is on a distinguished road
Great writeup and I've beeen trying to contact someone who has done this "install", but I just joined this website and can't PM until I have 15 posts! Perhaps you could contcat me berty!!
Many thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
that is a great thread - mine was stock but it does have the issues you mention about sport chrono and exhaust. i have to hit sport which also activates pasm. must admit, after a while you hit all these buttons every start up automatically - almost sub consciously!

anyway - the sound is amazing isn't it?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:15 AM
That's the benefit of the overide switch and mini loom I fitted. You can leave the switch active so the car starts with the PSE in loud mode every time, and doesnt revert to quiet mode between 20 and 40 mph. I've now made up a simple bracket that drops into the cigarette ashtray to hold the button so its out of sight. Everything is reversible and the loom simply plugs in. The mod is also applicable for the cayman and the 911.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:10 AM
juanpablo046 is infamous around these partsjuanpablo046 is infamous around these partsjuanpablo046 is infamous around these parts
If you wanted to use the stock button you would have needed to program with PIWIS tester? Even having SC option