Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 boxster vs ap2 s2000 comments welcome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
Johnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to beholdJohnny Danger is a splendid one to behold
I can't believe that this thread is still going on ! Comparing a Honda S2000 to a Porsche Boxster is like comparing a Timex to a Rolex. How's that for hyperbole all over again ? No amount of money is going to transform a front engine, 4 cylinder Honda into the well balanced, poised vehicle that the boxster is. I have a friend who has modified his S2000 in just about every way imaginable, and at the end of the day it still performs like a glorified "sewing machine" with no soul.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 11-03-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:12 PM
CurtD59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by substance
anyone here considered the s2000 before you bought ur boxster?
Yes. I drove the Miata, the S2000 (three model years) plus one with a turbo kit, the Boxster, the Boxster S (2002, 2006, 2009), the Cabriolet 4, The mercedes SL550, the Corvette (2007) and the Viper (2001, 2007).

what was the difference?
The honda is as close to perfect production quality as is possible to engineer in a roaster. You can put a hundred K miles on it and still have a quality vehicle to drive. The instrumentation is simple and clear, in particular the formula-style Tach is very easy to glance at, the ride is visceral, the driving experience exciting, rigid and extremely agile, and at high RPM's with good clutch work, it's inspiring and thrilling to drive. The transmission is the best out there by far, and the one by which all others should be judged. Tuning options abound, and are cheap, and able to turn this little car into a reliable demon easily and inexpensively. Negatives are that the cabin is absurdly cramped, especially on the driver's door, the low end torque requires that you get used to driving at higher RPM's, the ride is too stiff for people who do not simply love the art of driving, and it's a bit dull looking, which is to be expected from japanese designers.

The boxster, because of the mid engine, is a superior handling car. Many are underpowered, and an S is probably the minimum power for a sport driving experience, and only with the latest models does the car begin to reach it's potential. The chip/exhaust/intake kits for about 3K can help with that problem. The interior driving experience and handling are what sold me on the car. It is simply unmatched in the pure roadster category. The car literally feels glued to the road, as if the entire undercarriage is covered with rubber. The fit, finish, interior, and overall quality are amazing, although I have seen a number of boxsters on sale in the twenties that are in terrible interior condition. The two-trunk features is actually wonderful and an improvement over the honda, as well as my Ferrari F355.

why did you buy the boxster instead of the s2000?
how much more expensive was the maintenance over the honda?
You put gas and oil in a honda and it goes forever. Period. You're primary maintenance on the S2000 appears to be glass and paint, because the way air moves over the thing, every pebble hits it, at least that's what it seems like.

how was the dealer experience?
I don't really care about the dealer when considering a car like this, but Porsche dealers are generally high margin shops, and expensive and honda is a little better for the cash concerned (which I am not).
I want to get a 05 so Im going to have to go with no warranty, is this something i should be scared of vs honda's reliability?
No. These cars will last for a very long time if they are maintained. Maintenance is just more expensive. If cash is a problem a honda is a better risk.

In your case, the honda will be a cheaper low risk purchase for the driving experience. Most people will tell you that the Porsche is a better car, and it is, but given the tone of your questions, it's also a more expensive one to own. Not that this is a question of reliability, it's a question of the fact that all cars need some repairs, and you always have the risk of small accidents, and porsche repair is simply higher, no doubt because of the complexity of the car.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Jacques79 is on a distinguished road
I have owned a 2002 and 2003 Honda S2000 as well as a 2000 Boxster S.

I currently own a 2006 Boxster S with the 280HP engine and speed manual tranny.

The S2000 has a better feeling shifter, although it's easier to grind gears. But the throws are shorter and you can that ''click-click'' metal sound when you get into gear. Shifting perfection.

The Boxster S has 10X better steering feel. In the Porsche you feel every little road variation through the steering wheel. In the Honda the feel is numb and always weighted the same. In the Porsche you can always tell what the front tires are doing. The 986 Boxster S has even better feel than the 987 S though.

Steering response is a wash though. The S2000 turns in lightning quick, faster than the 986 Boxster S. But the 987 S has quicker steering that matches the S2000.

Braking: the Boxster S wins every time here. Better brake pedal feel, especially in the 986S (the 987 S has a softer brake pedal feel). The Porsche just stops harder and the brakes NEVER complain vs the S2000 that doesn't like emergency stops and has an ABS system that kicks in way too early.

Power is much, much better in the 987 S obviously but even the 250HP 986S feels much stronger than the S2000 and pins you in your seat if you make the 1-2 shift just right. And in 3rd-4th gear on the highway the Boxster S just blows the S2000 away.

Handling: Boxster S is superior. Not only can you feel everything the front tires are going through, when the rear end starts to step out you sort of feel that the car is rotating around you. It's a very unique feeling. And everything is so progressive you can just hold the slide as long as you want. Obviously the Boxster S grips better and is more stable at high speeds. But it doesn't feel less nimble than the S2000. It's only about 100 pounds heavier.

Ride quality is also 10X better in the Porsche. Where in the S2000 every bump and road imperfection is felt through the driver's seat, the Boxster S sends every vibration through the steering wheel instead. In fact the Boxster S has such a great ride quality that it makes some luxury sedans feel too stiff!

Engine sound: the 9000RPM is really cool and gets your heart beating fast, but the Boxster S between 4000 and 7000RPMs is just pure sex. With an aftermarket exhaust the 986S sounds almost exotic and the engine being right behind your ears is just orgasmic. The 987S with no aftermarket exhaust sounds just perfect though. It's louder than the 986S by a longshot.

Last edited by Jacques79; 11-03-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM
bhoov14 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if you are completely sold on either a Boxster or the S2000, but for the pricing on the Boxster's that you quoted above you could actually purchase a 996 for less money. I will say, however that it's hard to beat the performace and handling of a mid-engine car.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Chicos is on a distinguished road
Owned a 2004 S2000 and now a Cayman S. S2000 was great, you'll enjoy it, drive it hard all day long....very fun.

But if you drive a Porsche you'll get back in the S2000 feeling underwhelmed. The S2000 still feels good, but after driving a Porsche it is another ballpark.

I owned the S2000 for just over 2 years and enjoyed it, but my eyes were always on the next car. Owned the Cayman S for 3 years and it still make my heart race when I start it up. I am as excited about it today as I was when I first purchased it.

Porsche is more expensive, will cost you more, but if you can afford it I'd highly recommend it.

S2000 - fun sports car
Porsche, Cayman S - PASSION

Below very well put -

Originally Posted by Jacques79
I have owned a 2002 and 2003 Honda S2000 as well as a 2000 Boxster S.

I currently own a 2006 Boxster S with the 280HP engine and speed manual tranny.

The S2000 has a better feeling shifter, although it's easier to grind gears. But the throws are shorter and you can that ''click-click'' metal sound when you get into gear. Shifting perfection.

The Boxster S has 10X better steering feel. In the Porsche you feel every little road variation through the steering wheel. In the Honda the feel is numb and always weighted the same. In the Porsche you can always tell what the front tires are doing. The 986 Boxster S has even better feel than the 987 S though.

Steering response is a wash though. The S2000 turns in lightning quick, faster than the 986 Boxster S. But the 987 S has quicker steering that matches the S2000.

Braking: the Boxster S wins every time here. Better brake pedal feel, especially in the 986S (the 987 S has a softer brake pedal feel). The Porsche just stops harder and the brakes NEVER complain vs the S2000 that doesn't like emergency stops and has an ABS system that kicks in way too early.

Power is much, much better in the 987 S obviously but even the 250HP 986S feels much stronger than the S2000 and pins you in your seat if you make the 1-2 shift just right. And in 3rd-4th gear on the highway the Boxster S just blows the S2000 away.

Handling: Boxster S is superior. Not only can you feel everything the front tires are going through, when the rear end starts to step out you sort of feel that the car is rotating around you. It's a very unique feeling. And everything is so progressive you can just hold the slide as long as you want. Obviously the Boxster S grips better and is more stable at high speeds. But it doesn't feel less nimble than the S2000. It's only about 100 pounds heavier.

Ride quality is also 10X better in the Porsche. Where in the S2000 every bump and road imperfection is felt through the driver's seat, the Boxster S sends every vibration through the steering wheel instead. In fact the Boxster S has such a great ride quality that it makes some luxury sedans feel too stiff!

Engine sound: the 9000RPM is really cool and gets your heart beating fast, but the Boxster S between 4000 and 7000RPMs is just pure sex. With an aftermarket exhaust the 986S sounds almost exotic and the engine being right behind your ears is just orgasmic. The 987S with no aftermarket exhaust sounds just perfect though. It's louder than the 986S by a longshot.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Jacques79 is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention something about the S2000: it has less body roll than a Boxster S. The 986 S has too much body roll. The 987 S has less body roll than the 986S but the S2000 still corners flatter if you get it just right.

Although I have never driven a Boxster S with the sports suspension...

Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Jacques79
I forgot to mention something about the S2000: it has less body roll than a Boxster S. The 986 S has too much body roll. The 987 S has less body roll than the 986S but the S2000 still corners flatter if you get it just right.

Although I have never driven a Boxster S with the sports suspension...

Boxster S with sport suspension is superior to S2000 in every way. Rides better and handles better. While my S2000 had Ohlin coil overs which much improved the handling it was still no match for the Boxster.

I do have PASM with sport suspension so I am unaware of how normal S handles.