Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 boxster vs ap2 s2000 comments welcome

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
substance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud of
987 boxster vs ap2 s2000 comments welcome

anyone here considered the s2000 before you bought ur boxster?
what was the difference?
why did you buy the boxster instead of the s2000?
how much more expensive was the maintenance over the honda?
was RMS and other issues a big concern for you?
how was the dealer experience?
I want to get a 05 so Im going to have to go with no warranty, is this something i should be scared of vs honda's reliability?
any other comments that will persuade me to get the boxster over the s2000?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
mrwonder will become famous soon enough
I test drove both, and definitely liked the 987 better. The S2000 felt heavy, and I had to rev it really high to get it going (though I understand the AP1 was worse). Porsche also feels a lot more solidly built.

In terms of reliability however, it's hard to better Honda and maintainence is a lot cheaper. I will strongly recommend a CPO Boxster.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:24 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Exclamation

s2000 is definitely better value. one thing that deters me is that people can buy AP1s for under $15k now-a-days. So even if you buy an AP2, you'll see tonnes of AP1s around that people picked up for real cheap and the average person would not know the difference.

same thing kinda goes with the boxster too though, the 986's are really cheap now and they do look almost the same as the 987 (less so than an AP1 vs AP2)

all that aside, if you dont care about the prestige of saying you own a porsche.. i'd go with the S2000.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
substance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud ofsubstance has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by split
s2000 is definitely better value. one thing that deters me is that people can buy AP1s for under $15k now-a-days. So even if you buy an AP2, you'll see tonnes of AP1s around that people picked up for real cheap and the average person would not know the difference.

same thing kinda goes with the boxster too though, the 986's are really cheap now and they do look almost the same as the 987 (less so than an AP1 vs AP2)

all that aside, if you dont care about the prestige of saying you own a porsche.. i'd go with the S2000.
honestly i may feel embarrassed if i do say i own a low end boxster. i feel that its inferior to the 911 because most people perceive owning a boxster bc one cant afford a 911. i just dont know how reliable the boxster can be without any warranty and i dont want to spend 71k on a new boxster.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 PM
aln
aln is on a distinguished road
they are both very amazing cars. they both handle very well and was a pleasure to drive.

s2k
love the power in the higher rpms
low maintenance costs and lots of aftermarket parts
the honda dealership was actually quite helpful

boxster
more powerful engine and lots of torque
interior is a lot nicer. (in my opinion)
the porsche dealership didn't offer any help or even greeted me

in the end i got the boxster in another city because i like the ride quality and the feel of the gearbox. the s2k felt really sloppy (my opinion again). i like the response and handling of the boxster.

it really depends on what you're looking for. i personally love the exterior of the s2k but the engine, options, interior, and driving quality sold me on the boxster.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Turbroe is a jewel in the roughTurbroe is a jewel in the roughTurbroe is a jewel in the rough
My .02, having worked in a Porsche Dealership for a number of years and a car guy my entire life, as much as I love P-cars, buying one w/o a warranty is risky. If you drive it everyday, it will break and the reair $$ can be eye-opening for a new
P-owner. If it were me, I would buy the P-car, but maybe not this one, one with a warranty. BTW, I have driven many S2000's and owned a number of Honda's (currently 09 Si). As good as the S2000 is, its not a Porsche.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Ive owned both. The S2K is the best value and great drivers car. Best transmission out there and still the one I use for comparison purposes.

The Baxter transmission is almost as good and would be second in line of all the cars I have driven.

Transmission aside, the two are quite different. I have an 08 RS60 and it is at least twice the car of the S2K.. If dollars though are of concern, the S2K is the way to go.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Sloopy
Ive owned both. The S2K is the best value and great drivers car. Best transmission out there and still the one I use for comparison purposes.

The Baxter transmission is almost as good and would be second in line of all the cars I have driven.

Transmission aside, the two are quite different. I have an 08 RS60 and it is at least twice the car of the S2K.. If dollars though are of concern, the S2K is the way to go.

which drives better. i know ur boxster has more power but....

Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by Turbroe
My .02, having worked in a Porsche Dealership for a number of years and a car guy my entire life, as much as I love P-cars, buying one w/o a warranty is risky. If you drive it everyday, it will break and the reair $$ can be eye-opening for a new
P-owner. If it were me, I would buy the P-car, but maybe not this one, one with a warranty. BTW, I have driven many S2000's and owned a number of Honda's (currently 09 Si). As good as the S2000 is, its not a Porsche.

i found 3 cars that i like
05 boxster s with 7000 miles. never titled. demo car . almost no warranty. love the color. black on black. $36000

06 boxster s with 18k miles. 1 year of warranty left. hate the color, silver on black. $36000

06 s2000 white on black. love the white. no warranty left. $24000

i like the 06 boxster s because it has some warranty left however its 12k more than the s2000 and probably require more money for maintenance. however if it is a MUCH fun and better then i ll get it. i dont mind paying for maintenance as long as its reasonable. i dont want to get myself into a money pit and spend thousands on IMS and RMS issues.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:17 AM
renzop is on a distinguished road
The S2000 is smaller inside by a large amount. The S2000 has a smaller trunk by a large amount. The S2000 is more of a go-kart - small steering wheel, faster turn in, worse ride, less liveable as a daily driver. Less torque down low means you will have to rev more to keep up with traffic flow. Not a problem but it does make the commute a bit buzzy.

But the S2000 will be much cheaper with maintenance. Also, you will not get as much attention from others in the S2000. This is good and bad. Good because of the ego stroke but bad because of the constant jealousy and potential for vandalism. If you are close to the limit of your funds just getting into the car and its going to be your only car than the S2000 might be the one for you. Its cheaper in both the short and long run.

In the S2000 you will feel more like a racer. In the Porsche you will feel more like a sports car driver.

Test drive both, on the highway, on the twisties and in town. Then decide.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 AM
Bob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really niceBob Z. is just really nice
Originally Posted by substance
i found 3 cars that i like
05 boxster s with 7000 miles. never titled. demo car . almost no warranty. love the color. black on black. $36000

06 boxster s with 18k miles. 1 year of warranty left. hate the color, silver on black. $36000

06 s2000 white on black. love the white. no warranty left. $24000

i like the 06 boxster s because it has some warranty left however its 12k more than the s2000 and probably require more money for maintenance. however if it is a MUCH fun and better then i ll get it. i dont mind paying for maintenance as long as its reasonable. i dont want to get myself into a money pit and spend thousands on IMS and RMS issues.
Have you searched the classifieds here? There are 987s for not much more with lots of warranty, which would seem to put your mind at ease regarding repairs.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Spec is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't worry as much as you seem to be with the Boxster and maint cost. Once a year you have it inspected. Before you but it have it inspected. Porsche ownership shouldn't be about maint cost. But the purity and sheer joy of owning a Porsche. I own an 06 350Z and can say that I was actually in the same boat as you. S2000, E36 M3, 986 Boxster, or 350Z. I chose the Z because of stupidity and power over all the others but if I could go back to yesterday I'd gladly choose the Boxster S. I'm telling you. Porsche ownership is much more than any other manufacturer. Own a Porsche or a fan boy killed car. Your choice.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:59 PM
mrwonder will become famous soon enough
I think you can also buy extended warranty if the car is still in warranty.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:13 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
honestly i may feel embarrassed if i do say i own a low end boxster. i feel that its inferior to the 911 because most people perceive owning a boxster bc one cant afford a 911. i just dont know how reliable the boxster can be without any warranty and i dont want to spend 71k on a new boxster.

Low end? Ouch! You can get 911's at reasonable prices right now as well. I personally know several Boxster owners that chose their Boxster based upon the way it handles and drives. Not just because it was less expensive and that's all that they could afford. A few of them have a Boxster along with a much more expensive exotic. They appreciate the Boxster for the mid-engine handling, the fun they have on the track with it, and what a great DD it makes.

As far as reliability goes, I've personally had no issues with mine and I drive the heck out of it. Yes, routine maintenance will probably run you more in a Porsche than a S2000. But, it's a Pcar, so that just comes with the territory. It's also about which one you enjoy driving better, car clubs, events, and all that other stuff that comes with the car you choose. To me, I enjoy being part of the PCA and other Porsche related events, so it was an easy decision.

If I were to do it all over, I'd pick a Boxster time and time again. We also have a 911 which I do enjoy, and I'm glad we have it. But there is just something about my Boxster that after 2.5 years of owing it, I still get excited to start that engine every morning and taking her out.

Okay....I feel all better now!

Best wishes!

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 06-18-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Cayman Cab S is on a distinguished road
Perhaps following my example and calling it a Cayman Cabriolet is the answer. Buy what you like to drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 987 boxster vs ap2 s2000 comments welcome