Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Cayman-S vs 09 M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 AM
TopGear is just really niceTopGear is just really niceTopGear is just really niceTopGear is just really nice
Went for a test drive of an 08 M3 coupe with a friend - it is a beautiful car with lots of power.

Looking at the specs the M3 is over 700 pounds heavier than the Cayman S - you certainly feel the difference in weight going around corners. The Porche's brakes feel more responsive, that could be partly due to the weight difference in the cars.

With more interior room, a trunk and 4 seats it is a more "comfortable" car, the Cayman S is more "sporty" as you feel more connected to the steering, brakes and handling. Both are great cars.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Porschepet
The M3 Is an awsome sedan ,Just ask my mom she drives one.
Funny....

Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
[quote=schadenfreude;2433064]I love my M3, but I'd go Porsche for a garage queen. The M3 makes a great dd, but if you're getting something to baby, make it something a little more exclusive/sporty.

I agree..a P-car is a nice one to baby....

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
DRE1615 is infamous around these parts
I chose the ISF over the M3 as a daily for a multitude of reasons that I won't get into. You obviously aren't going to get the most out of either car, being a garage queen and all. But with the M3 redlining at ~8400 RPM, just driving it around town you won't have any fun unless you are north of 4500-5500 RPM where the real power is in the M3. I'm not too familiar with the Cayman and gearing, power etc... But I think with the smaller body, less weight and suitable power to weight ratio, it would be much easier to have fun with, without really needing much road.

Both are great cars, but I think I'd rather have a Cayman as my garage queen over the M3.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:20 AM
mrevo9 is infamous around these parts
agreed..i just purchased an 08 BLK cayman S as my 3rd car..i have a EVO9MR with most bolt on mods and a Dinan 535 as my daily commute..

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM
DRE1615 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mrevo9
agreed..i just purchased an 08 BLK cayman S as my 3rd car..i have a EVO9MR with most bolt on mods and a Dinan 535 as my daily commute..
Not trying to derail this thread...But what do you think of your Dinan 535i? I have been thinking about how that combo will work out for some time now. It pretty much has everything, plenty of power with the Dinan upgrades, good gas mileage being TT, room for 5 etc.... I think that would be a great daily driver and at somewhat of a reasonable cost.

Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 10:36 AM
MCJ
MCJ is infamous around these partsMCJ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ekam
BMW brakes are weak. Aren't they finally changing to Brembos for upcoming model year?
Think so. MY08 135i's were the first production models to get the Brembos.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM
It's very nice..the Dian software flash cost $2K, ( a bit on the pricy side) however it gave you almost 90 more hp and 100+ on torque..gas miles is about same as before if you dont go crazy on the throttle...Most factory are running a bit rich to be on the safeside, with the ECU flast it optimized the power vs. fuel maps..
Certain BMW dealerships used to carry Dinan products so they dont give you **** about the flash...As a daily commute of a regular 5 series pumping out around 400hp and 400+ torque..i have no complain..

Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Is it a option of sport package? coz factory 135 does not come with Brembo correct?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Just installed a aftermarket HID light on my new 08 Cayman S..looks nice but dealership cannot disable the error message about the leveling function..
Just an FYI to our fellow guys when u go aftermarket on HID..
Factory HID comes with a self leveling function...

Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
IUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to beholdIUkid is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mrevo9
Is it a option of sport package? coz factory 135 does not come with Brembo correct?
The 135i does come with brembo's stock. There is a sport package but brakes are not a part of that.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:16 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
I daily drive my Cayman S as my only car. I had an E46 M3 in the past, and absolutely loved that car, before making the jump to p-car with a 996TT few years ago.

I'll likely get an E90M3 sedan as a family car in the near future, but won't trade the Cayman for the M3.

As far as speed is concerned, I was able to take the E92M3 pretty handily on my last trip to Buttonwillow with the stock Cayman, and since then, I've done some comparative driving in a straight line against the E92M3 from a roll with my RS350 setup and was able to run head to head up to certain not_to_be_disclosed speed.

hope that helps !

Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
c70
c70 is infamous around these parts
I'd go with an M3 but the Cayman S isn't that far behind.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
KrissrocK is infamous around these parts
how much room is needed? having been in both...the S is nice, but way too tight on the inside for my likings...The M has more room, but I kinda don't like the brute power if offers. But i think the inside room would be the determining factor...

Old 07-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by KrissrocK
how much room is needed? having been in both...the S is nice, but way too tight on the inside for my likings...The M has more room, but I kinda don't like the brute power if offers. But i think the inside room would be the determining factor...
Only needs enough room for one man and his I-pod

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 09 Cayman-S vs 09 M3