Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S vs. 997 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
weedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by avmike
It's funny how you get completely opposite responses in this forum vs. the 997 forum. Here is my take on it, and why I went with a 997S cab..

I originally intended on buying a Cayman S. The purpose of the car was a 3rd car/weekend toy-would never see the track. I like the Cayman S, but some things I didn't like about it:

- too small. I'm only 6', but had to put the seat all the way back to where it was hitting the firewall. It was an okay sitting position, but no room for "tilt-back".
- too small - had to duck my head down to look out the driver's side window.
- too noisy. Don't get me wrong... it's a sports car, and I like to hear the engine, just not through the firewall inches behind me. The 911 tucks it a little further back, which makes a difference..
- it's not a 911... I realized I really wanted a 911, and was originally looking at the Cayman S to save $$.

DRIVE THEM BOTH! Don't settle, get what you want. Ironically I ended up with a CAB with all the intentions on getting a coupe...

Mike
Agree with what you're saying. My post (a page or 2 back) comes AFTER I've owned the Cayman S. Loved it, great car, but would have rather had a 997 and I can say that without hesitation now. Again, you can't go wrong with either one as we all know!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:12 PM
xtremecruiser is on a distinguished road
I have been reading all kinds of auto forums for the last few months trying to help figure out what to get after I lemon my BMW, and this thread has helped me with the "what the differences in certain Porsche are"
Great thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
DamonBoost is on a distinguished road
I am/was/kinda still am on the fence with the same decision right now. I like the Cayman's driving experience a little better but like the 997's residual value a little more. At the end of the day after comparing a lot of numbers I feel they will both depreciate about the same.

This will the first Porsche of my own (I drove one of my bosses 993's for 6 months and fell in love) so I didn't really want to break the bank. In the two cars I decided on it is a toss between a 06 Cayman S with basically all the options and moderate mods for 37.5 (cpo'ed) or a 06 997 for $41K with everything but heated seats, and navigation but I would have to buy an extended warranty ($3500) and get new tires immediately ($1000). That brings the totals to $37.5K vs $45.5K. I feel like in 5 years the cars will be worth $19-24K vs $28-32K so in reality its about a wash on the residual.

Also at the end of the day the car I really want is a 997.2 which is currently out of my price range but wont be if I can stick with the Cayman for 5 years then move up.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM
KMK454 is on a distinguished road
I'm in the same boat, but in terms of affordability, it's a 997 C2 (non-S) or a Cayman S (sub 50k range with 20k or fewer miles). I'm coming from a C6 'vette so I've been corrupted by power, which has me concerned about the Cayman S. I don't want to modify the engine since it will be a daily and I expect to have a warranty in tact.

I can get more Porsche for the dollar with the CS, though... by that I mean more options, fewer miles, newer year, more warranty, and more cars to choose from. But again, the power concerns me and also the whole it's not a 911 thing. I admit it's shallow but there's something about the mystique of an iconic car such as the 911... soul and character are a big part of why I'm looking to Porsche for my next car.

Anyhow, I'm still looking. Both are such nice cars!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I am with you Kurt, that is why my next Porsche will be the 997.2...

Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Having now owned a (mod'ed) 997S Cab for three years but also having had the chance to drive a few Cayman's and Boxter's in the past few years:
1. The 997S has the classic eye candy value. Not only is it a classic shape, but it has improved with age and the 997 series is one of the best lookers yet;
2. The 997S also has noticeably more power. The value of this varies. I'm much more motivated by handling than power so although this is a factor, it is not a significant purchasing decision point for me;
3. The Cayman is significantly more enjoyable to drive from a handling perspective. The lighter weight, mid-engine design and compact size/cabin all contribute to a lithe and nimble design. More go-kart or big lotus than the 997 could ever be.
4. I'm just not turned on by the look of the Cayman and Boxster. Specifically, living in NoCal, I love driving convertibles, but the Boxster is just too odd looking - particularly top up.
Added note/bias: I strongly favor light/quick/balanced cars and am happy to trade power and weight to ensure a race-like ride. I also believe that the only real sports cars are mid-engined.
So: if I had to do it all over again, and didn't care about a drop-top, I'd go with a Cayman. No question. Simply a better drivers car, lower power or not. I'd be tempted to tt or sc it, but I'd focus on the same mods that I've made to my 997S first. But if I wanted a soft-top, I just can't imagine living with a Boxster. Too hard on my eyes. So life with my 997S Cab is excellent. I know the cars quirks, limitations, and mass/bulk/weight distribution, but it is still the best sports car I've ever owned.

Originally Posted by notquitefob
In the last 2 years, i went from an E46M3 to 996TT to E60M5 to 997C2S to 987CS

Here's what pushed me towards the Cayman S:
1. 10-30k cheaper (depending on options)
2. very easy to drive fast (ran circles around 911s on the track)
3. cheaper to maintain (gas, insurance, tires)
4. with minor mods, just as fast in a straight line as a C2S
5. I like the simpler interior of the CS over the C2S
6. I like the 2 seater more than the fake 2+2 where the back seats are useless
7. handles like a go-kart, heavier steering, more steering feedback, sharper handling
8. more confidence inspiring at high speed due to lack of nose-bop and rear engine weight bias

Overall, the Cayman S was the first car that didn't make me miss the M3. Both the 996TT and the 997C2S had things I didn't like about them, mostly attributed to the rear engine weight bias resulting in instability at high speeds due to the nose bop, and ridiculously expensive rear tires I didn't feel like I was really putting to good use.

Other than being slightly underpowered (which you can fix), the Cayman S is absolutely sublime to drive. 12,000 miles as my one and only daily driver, still puts a huge jackass grin on my face everyday to work.

Hope that helps. if you have more specific questions, feel free to ask here or via PM.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 AM
djmiroku is on a distinguished road
I'm the opposite. The odd look of the Boxster is what drew me to it in the first place. It's got a junior mutant supercar proportionality, somewhat reminiscient of a Zonda or Enzo, but not nearly in the same league. It's obvious it was designed from the inside out, form following function, and that to me, makes it beautiful.

Originally Posted by Verde
4. I'm just not turned on by the look of the Cayman and Boxster. Specifically, living in NoCal, I love driving convertibles, but the Boxster is just too odd looking - particularly top up.
Added note/bias: I strongly favor light/quick/balanced cars and am happy to trade power and weight to ensure a race-like ride. I also believe that the only real sports cars are mid-engined.
So: if I had to do it all over again, and didn't care about a drop-top, I'd go with a Cayman. No question. Simply a better drivers car, lower power or not. I'd be tempted to tt or sc it, but I'd focus on the same mods that I've made to my 997S first. But if I wanted a soft-top, I just can't imagine living with a Boxster. Too hard on my eyes. So life with my 997S Cab is excellent. I know the cars quirks, limitations, and mass/bulk/weight distribution, but it is still the best sports car I've ever owned.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 AM
KMK454 is on a distinguished road
Most people I know who have driving experience with the 996, 997, and Cayman S but do not currently own any all seem to say the Cayman S is the most fun of the bunch and the best "driver's car." It's a little confusing...

Old 09-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by kodai911
I drive 996 C2. My next car 's gonna base on Cayman S
Why?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM
H-MAN is on a distinguished road
I started shopping for a Cayman S but I ended up buying a C2S this spring. Today I dropped my 911 off for service and they gave me a Cayman S for the day. So I have some back-to-back seat time today to reflect on. I have some great roads nearby and took the Cayman out for a drive tonight. I came away very impressed with how easy it was to drive the car to the limit. Handling was very neutral even when pushed. The Cayman doesn't have the power of the C2S and I found the brakes were much worse (Cayman has 25,000 miles). For the money though it's hard to pass up on a 2 year old Cayman S.

The reason I went with the C2S is practicality of the car, combined with the better performance and classic 911 design. Despite everyone crapping on the rear seats, I take my daughter to school all the time with her booster in the back. It's perfect size for a weekend trip with the wife. I don't love the Cayman's looks where I've always loved the 997. The Cayman in my garage is Atlas, as is my 911 and I think the 911 looks twice as good, especially from behind. Driving the 911 is different from the Cayman and takes more time to learn but I find it more rewarding.

You can't go wrong with either option, they are both great cars. Drive them both, twice, before you decide.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
This is an old thread, and I expect the OP has made his decision by now. But, as an update, I sold my Cayman S a couple of months back, and bought a lightly used '05 GT3. I don't know if a GT3 is of interest, and if no track use is planned, I probably would not recommend one, except as a weekend fun car. But I can honestly say, in my opinion, it is the only car in the 911 line that is more fun for me to drive than the Cayman. Obviously, the balance is not as neutral, so it has to be driven differently, but it is a blast!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Sloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of lightSloopy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Verde
Having now owned a (mod'ed) 997S Cab for three years but also having had the chance to drive a few Cayman's and Boxter's in the past few years:
1. The 997S has the classic eye candy value. Not only is it a classic shape, but it has improved with age and the 997 series is one of the best lookers yet;
2. The 997S also has noticeably more power. The value of this varies. I'm much more motivated by handling than power so although this is a factor, it is not a significant purchasing decision point for me;
3. The Cayman is significantly more enjoyable to drive from a handling perspective. The lighter weight, mid-engine design and compact size/cabin all contribute to a lithe and nimble design. More go-kart or big lotus than the 997 could ever be.
I mostly agree, however saw an RS 60 with the top down which garbed my eye. Looking closely at the Boxster showed a lot of advantages. The two trunks are really nice and useful. This all got me interested enough to go for a test drive. If your honest about it, there is no comparison to the handling of the mid vs rear engine layout. That and Porsche did such a great job with the Boxster. Very tight car with the top off.

I ended up geting an RS60 with the red top. This makes the car look much differnt for some reason and like the look as much or more that the 911 cab.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
The thought crossed my mind as well. Have a one year old baby now....back seats (even small) would be great to have....

I think I will wait a year for the 998's to come out...!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Sn1p3r is on a distinguished road
Can anyone also add the technical differences in suspension tuning/seats/air conditioning/tire options/modification options on base Cayman / Cayman S / 997.

Thanks!