Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S vs. 997 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:36 PM
PorscheUSA is on a distinguished road
Cayman S vs. 997 C2S

I am considering a used 2005-2007 997C2S or 2006-2007 Cayman S. How do they compare in terms of driving experience? Input from anyone who has owned both greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
In the last 2 years, i went from an E46M3 to 996TT to E60M5 to 997C2S to 987CS

Here's what pushed me towards the Cayman S:
1. 10-30k cheaper (depending on options)
2. very easy to drive fast (ran circles around 911s on the track)
3. cheaper to maintain (gas, insurance, tires)
4. with minor mods, just as fast in a straight line as a C2S
5. I like the simpler interior of the CS over the C2S
6. I like the 2 seater more than the fake 2+2 where the back seats are useless
7. handles like a go-kart, heavier steering, more steering feedback, sharper handling
8. more confidence inspiring at high speed due to lack of nose-bop and rear engine weight bias

Overall, the Cayman S was the first car that didn't make me miss the M3. Both the 996TT and the 997C2S had things I didn't like about them, mostly attributed to the rear engine weight bias resulting in instability at high speeds due to the nose bop, and ridiculously expensive rear tires I didn't feel like I was really putting to good use.

Other than being slightly underpowered (which you can fix), the Cayman S is absolutely sublime to drive. 12,000 miles as my one and only daily driver, still puts a huge jackass grin on my face everyday to work.

Hope that helps. if you have more specific questions, feel free to ask here or via PM.

Last edited by notquitefob; 07-15-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Well said.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:35 AM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
D@mn dude that was a GREAT reply. Made me feel good about the decision I made buying my CS.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:30 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Yep, Turbo is like Kim Kardashian - BIG ***.

Cayman is like a runway model...

Old 07-18-2009, 04:29 PM
numbnuts is on a distinguished road
I kinda like Kim K

Old 07-19-2009, 06:41 AM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
Well, a lot depends on things unknown; use of car, driving experience, mods planned, etc. I've owned both, currently have a CS, and have also owned E46 M3, C5 and C6 ZO6, with lots of track time in all. The Cayman is a wonderfully well balanced car, and IMO, hard to beat as a general purpose sports car. I find it very lacking in power, but I knew that when I bought it. It is a great car for anyone getting started in track days, as it is so neutral in handling, and does not demand a high level of finesse in throttle mangement. Great car. The 997S is also a great car, with traditional 911 design, and more power, better brakes, more room. The handling characteristics are different, but it is easily learned with some track time and instruction. Just depends on your preferences and priorities.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 PM
newtonold is on a distinguished road
good points, have had both cars too... something about the mid-engine balance that makes the CS edge out of the 997S. both great cars tho!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:50 PM
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by notquitefob
Here's what pushed me towards the Cayman S:
1. 10-30k cheaper (depending on options)
2. very easy to drive fast (ran circles around 911s on the track)
3. cheaper to maintain (gas, insurance, tires)
4. with minor mods, just as fast in a straight line as a C2S
5. I like the simpler interior of the CS over the C2S
6. I like the 2 seater more than the fake 2+2 where the back seats are useless
7. handles like a go-kart, heavier steering, more steering feedback, sharper handling
8. more confidence inspiring at high speed due to lack of nose-bop and rear engine weight bias

Overall, the Cayman S was the first car that didn't make me miss the M3. Both the 996TT and the 997C2S had things I didn't like about them, mostly attributed to the rear engine weight bias resulting in instability at high speeds due to the nose bop, and ridiculously expensive rear tires I didn't feel like I was really putting to good use.

Other than being slightly underpowered (which you can fix), the Cayman S is absolutely sublime to drive. 12,000 miles as my one and only daily driver, still puts a huge jackass grin on my face everyday to work.
Well said Kevin.

I also went directly from a 2006 997 C2S to a 2008 Cayman S and can say that the Cayman S is equal in almost every category but the following:

- Straight line speed. Fixed w mods like Kevin said (im working on it)
- Pimp factor. Some of you might not care or agree but a 911 will always be more prestigious than a Cayman. If that matters to you (sorta does to me) than its a little issue, if not, then it can actually be a plus because youll draw less attention - which is kinda nice.
- no sunroof. this also bothers me since i am 6 foot 3 and like a little open air sometimes

Otherwise, id like Cayman better for these reasons:

- Curves!!! Both the way it handles them and the curves it has! Talk about Kim K...the Caymans booty is hot!...and the lines of hte front fenders is just pure PORSCHE! Then toss the little car into a turn and BOOM you feel what everyone is talking about.

- Two seater. Just pure sports car. Not a 2+2...not a car with a 'rear seat delete' or any of that nonsense. Just a pair of seats and a motor. Yea!

- Tire wear, cost of ownership, etc....just overall 'easier' for my life as a Daily Driver.

Overall, the comparison is like splitting hairs. Both cars ROCK and i love em both. So flip a coin and go get one!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
ekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to beholdekam is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
- no sunroof. this also bothers me since i am 6 foot 3 and like a little open air sometimes
If there's a sunroof it'll take away at least an inch of headroom... why do you want sunroof when you can go completely topless anyway?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:09 PM
weedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud ofweedo has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by elh0102
Well, a lot depends on things unknown; use of car, driving experience, mods planned, etc. I've owned both, currently have a CS, and have also owned E46 M3, C5 and C6 ZO6, with lots of track time in all. The Cayman is a wonderfully well balanced car, and IMO, hard to beat as a general purpose sports car. I find it very lacking in power, but I knew that when I bought it. It is a great car for anyone getting started in track days, as it is so neutral in handling, and does not demand a high level of finesse in throttle mangement. Great car. The 997S is also a great car, with traditional 911 design, and more power, better brakes, more room. The handling characteristics are different, but it is easily learned with some track time and instruction. Just depends on your preferences and priorities.
Agreed. We nearly bought a 2005 997 C2S before our Cayman S. We ended up not buying it, waited too long, then it was sold. I actually prefer the 997 to our Cayman S for a few reasons:

The Cayman is lacking in power (and the feel of power) over the 997. I prefer the look of a nice 997 over our Cayman S. The back seats, however useless for people, are great for putting things in there like packages, boxes, the wife's purse, etc.

Now, keep in mind the 997 was about $7,000 more (both used) than our Cayman S at the time. Is it worth $7,000 more? Maybe not. But I usually keep my cars around a year so the cost difference to own each would be minimal. Really tough to go wrong with either one though (as we all know!).

Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
sunroof wasn't a problem for me, happy to go without it for some extra headroom especially when wearing a helmet at the track = )

power wise, you can get a RS350 kit that'll put you up to speed against a 911 C2S, or go TPC and blow almost anything out of the water.

oh, not sure if it's just southern california, but i've gotten WAY more attention in my Cayman than in my 911.

like most have said, you can't lose with either, but I chose the Cayman over the 911 (as did pearlcoupeg35) and love it. your mileage may vary.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
I was in the same position when I bought my '08 Cayman S last Fall. Both are great cars as mentioned already, but the handling on the Cayman really made the difference for me. The 911 almost seemed to handle like a sedan in comparison to the Cayman.

The only real complaint I have is less leg room than a 911 (I'm 6'4"), but the storage space is plentiful between the front trunk and the rear.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:14 AM
jhp012 will become famous soon enough
once you drive it you will prolly take the cayman S. expecially the way people drive on test drives.

Cayman is a lot tighter. 911 just has more go, but the car is heavier anyway. 911s slide more on turns... it seems like

Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
It's funny how you get completely opposite responses in this forum vs. the 997 forum. Here is my take on it, and why I went with a 997S cab..

I originally intended on buying a Cayman S. The purpose of the car was a 3rd car/weekend toy-would never see the track. I like the Cayman S, but some things I didn't like about it:

- too small. I'm only 6', but had to put the seat all the way back to where it was hitting the firewall. It was an okay sitting position, but no room for "tilt-back".
- too small - had to duck my head down to look out the driver's side window.
- too noisy. Don't get me wrong... it's a sports car, and I like to hear the engine, just not through the firewall inches behind me. The 911 tucks it a little further back, which makes a difference..
- it's not a 911... I realized I really wanted a 911, and was originally looking at the Cayman S to save $$.

DRIVE THEM BOTH! Don't settle, get what you want. Ironically I ended up with a CAB with all the intentions on getting a coupe...

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayman S vs. 997 C2S