Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster and Boxster S cut key issue/question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM
spg993tt is on a distinguished road
Boxster and Boxster S cut key issue/question

I have a 2001 Boxster that we built to race. etc. (Rick Deman built it a few years ago)....also a 2004 boxster S racer. sweet cars.

anyway, somewhere along the way we lost one of the 2 factory keys (which are a key & fob /remote combination).

i went to my local pcar dealership, ordered a 2 new keys for the 2001. ouch, the price was ridiculous.. it was just the key.
just the metal cut key (side cut).
it came with a small little weenieend capand they also gave me a bigger end cap so you coudl turn it with your fingers...not remote, no fob. the guy said "fi youre not using the alarm you dont need the remote"

so i put the key in, i turn it, i get power, dash comes on, but right there at the 3'o'clock position where you'd expect to get ignition, nothing. no ticking nothing.

one dude i know who has a BMW said something like, "oh its like my bmw, you have to have the fob/remote"
i sat there and used this new key to turn and held the old fob/key (which works (we only lost 1 of the 2 keys)). ..and that didnt work either.
again, the key goes in, turns a bit "stiff" but turns for sure, power on the dash comes on, but it stops just shy of 3oclock and no ignitiion. i cant tell if its turning all the way, or just poorly cut.
id' think the side cut key, once it turns its going to turn all the way. that it wouldnt turn at all if it were cut wrong.

anyway, figured i'd ask and see if you guys know what might be going on here.

thx in advance.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Inside the fob, there is a small 2mm by 5mm long cylinder thingy...sorry thats the best I can explain it ...maybe it's called the transponder?...anyways....you need that or else the car will turn over but won't start.....buy a used fob off of ebay.....10-15 bucks...and put your new key in....it should work

Another way to check if the newly cut key works is switch the key blade with the old one into the remote..

Last edited by geetee; 04-24-2010 at 06:55 PM.