Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcantara wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
PorscheAzzurri is on a distinguished road
Alcantara wheel?

Has anyone put an alcantara steering wheel in there 987/987.2 boxster s/cayman s.

I was looking at putting an alcantara three spoke sport wheel with wheel mounted shifters in my car but I wanted to see if anyone had issues with the grip or the wheel getting uncomfortable after a while?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
I have the 997 one ( which is compatible according to the suncoast link) and it is a huge improvement in feel and look over the stock wheel. Bought it from our Friends and Suncoast. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...ry_Code=987alc

Before.

Fatter.. I mean After

Last edited by wpgfordguy; 04-08-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks mate. How is it as far as long distance driving goes? I am takign an "U.S' greatest driving roads" grande tour this summer and it is approximately 7800 miles of driving. I was worried that it might make your hands extremely warm after extended periods of use? I assume you have not had that problem?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
It's FAR more Comfortable over the leather wheel, it doesn't get warm either. Would buy again

Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Nice! Looks fantastic!

There are two versions for the new PDK's:

Standard style with normal PDK buttons:

Paddle Steering Wheel:

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook

Last edited by SuncoastParts; 04-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM
the one with the paddle shifters looks brilliant! Is there any loss in response time between the paddles and the tranny pcm?

Also, I am guessing we have to use the factory provided airbag?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by PorscheAzzurri

When ever possible

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
the one with the paddle shifters looks brilliant! Is there any loss in response time between the paddles and the tranny pcm?

Since it's electronic, pretty sure signal travels at near speed of light.
If you have the PDK with push button shifter, suncoast offers the PDK paddle steering wheel to retrofit into cars that didn't come with that option.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 PM
agentx is on a distinguished road
i have the gt3 rs wheel in my 987.1, love it

incidentally if anybody wants to buy a 987.1 sport wheel and airbag I have one

Old 04-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by lithium1330
Since it's electronic, pretty sure signal travels at near speed of light.
If you have the PDK with push button shifter, suncoast offers the PDK paddle steering wheel to retrofit into cars that didn't come with that option.
I realize its electronic but sometimes, there is a delay in the signal because of relay issues or something as simple as the paddles not being great quality. THe paddles on my s4 work fairly well, but the ones on my mates lexus c63 amg are awful.

On an unrelated note, your car is what convinced me to get a porsche! I must have viewed your videos a dozen times each on youtube before deciding on the boxster. So thank you.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:09 AM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
I realize its electronic but sometimes, there is a delay in the signal because of relay issues or something as simple as the paddles not being great quality. THe paddles on my s4 work fairly well, but the ones on my mates lexus c63 amg are awful.

On an unrelated note, your car is what convinced me to get a porsche! I must have viewed your videos a dozen times each on youtube before deciding on the boxster. So thank you.
Thanks for the compliments! Hope you are enjoying your Porsche!
BTW, now that you have a Boxster, you should consider coming to the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit this year. It's probably one of the largest get togethers of Boxster/Caymans and other Porsches on the east coast. There are about 90 cars/130+ participants so far. Check it out - http://brbs.org/

Old 04-10-2011, 12:38 PM
V8HAHA is on a distinguished road
How much do the alcantra wheels cost? I like it!

Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 AM
nismo-gtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by suncoastric
Nice! Looks fantastic!

There are two versions for the new PDK's:

Standard style with normal PDK buttons:

Paddle Steering Wheel:

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Boosted Josh is on a distinguished road
I've got 24K miles on my 987.1 w/ GT3 RS wheel. I have to say that it's not holding up that well. It is knotting up and is rough where my left hand holds the wheel.

I'm the 2nd owner so I'm not sure if it had something to do with it not being cleaned properly or if that type wear is just inherent to alcantara being used on a high wear area like the steering wheel.

Porsche says that it's a non warranty item. So I'll probably either replace it with one from suncoast or have it recovered.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:25 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
I've only seen one wearing badly, and (go figure) it's in one of our loaner cars.

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alcantara wheel?