Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you predict Cayman values will hold?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:01 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
How do you predict Cayman values will hold?

I have been looking at 996's for a while and one of the things I like about them is that it appears that they depreciate to a point and don't drop much farther unless there is damage or significant mileage. I have noticed that Boxters seem to depreciate more like normal cars. The Caymans are still pretty new but when they are ten years old will they have depreciated like a Boxter or a 911 or somewhere in between?

My guess is somewhere in between. I don't know the sales figures but I see far fewer Cayman out there than Boxters.

To clarify in case anyone says to buy a car to drive not to sell to the next guy: That is my intention. Whatever I buy will be driven a few days a week but the cheap guy in me hates depreciation if I ever have to sell.

Last edited by sinKing; 09-13-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
As a previous Cayman S owner I will say they tend to depreciate a little better than a normal car.

Also as a previous owner I will tell you that the next best car you can buy will cost you more than double. The Cayman S is great! My only complaint was around the fact that the AC system took a long time to cool my black car in the florida sun.

You will feel like a driving stud (even if you are not) when you drive the Cayman S. It is by far the easiest car to drive in the most difficult of situations (track)

Good Luck

Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
I think that the first gen non-DFI cars are going to depreciate like the Boxsters and the 996s. The DFI cars will hold value a bit better and be the more desireable cars in the long run.

Personally, in a year or two when I go Cayman shopping I am going to be looking at non-S non-DFI cars. I want the cheapest of the cheap because I am going to modify the car and flog it.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Tay Tay has a spectacular aura aboutTay Tay has a spectacular aura aboutTay Tay has a spectacular aura about
i bought my 07 s a year ago wholesale for 34k with 26,000 on it. I got an offer for 34k for someone to buy it. Mind you ive but 16,000 miles on the car since then. Not too bad.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
They'll likely depreciate like all "normal" production cars. When there's no shortage, they continue to go down.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Low mileage ones will hold their value well. They seem to sell fast around here in Chicago.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 PM
porschepro has a spectacular aura aboutporschepro has a spectacular aura about
IMHO: Anything low production is worth paying for(Cayman Black Edition/CaymanR) as they will command a premium in the resale market.