Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob question on shifting gears at higher RPMs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM
bombardior is on a distinguished road
noob question on shifting gears at higher RPMs

Hi all!

this is my first post here! I recently purchased a cayman S manual, and am getting used to it (2 weeks). I have never driven a manual before, and the only reason why I was able to take it home from the dealership was after some youtube video study sessions before going for the pickup... so I'm not really great at driving the cayman yet, but I'd love to get better!

So far, I've been able to make my daily driving smooth, where I up-shift at around 2000 rpm. I've learned to find that 'biting' point when I start to move the car from stop, and can do pretty smooth, albeit slow, shifts.
However, when i try to have a bit of fun pushing the car, say to like 6000 rpms in 2nd gear, then shift to 3rd gear, there will always be this huge lug/thud sound coming from the engine and the car suddenly make a jerking motion. I am guessing it is because I am letting out the clutch too quickly? but i'm not sure.

Can someone teach me what I should do exactly in that situation? I currently let my foot off the gas and push in the clutch simultaneously, shift into 3rd, then let go of the clutch, then push back on the gas. But the thud sound and jerking of the car happens when I let go of the clutch.

If i'm supposed to let the clutch out slow, then doesn't that defeat the whole point of fast driving? i mean in a tracking situation, how can one afford to waste time letting out the clutch slowly between gear shifts?

maybe i'm just a noob confused at driving manual, but can someone enlighten me please

Thanks

Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
You are probably not letting off the clutch smoothly enough. Or it could be a combination of too fast back on the gas and not being smooth on the clutch.

Keep practicing and trying different things, you will get it sorted out.

Also - don't shift at 2K RPM. You are wasting your car! You are not hurting the car by winding it out. Depending on traffic condidtions etc, don't shift before 4K rpm. I used to wind it to 5K or so before shifting.

This will also help you with your clunking problem.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
It sounds like you are letting go of the clutch before you push back on the gas...

Try to meet the clutch and the gas in a simultaneous motion. Release the clutch while applying gas. The trick is to have exactly the right amount of gas for the speed you have on the new gear. The speed of the engine must match the speed of the gearbox shaft when you release the clutch, otherwise you'll get that jerk.

When you change at higher RPM's, the difference between engine speed and gearbox shaft speed is huge, unless you apply gas while releasing the clutch. Hence the jerk.

It's not easy when you're new to it, but it's the secret to smooth driving with a manual.

Last edited by Kelderek; 04-23-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
have someone with alot of stick time go with you for a ride and see what they say. dont take this the wrong way but dont try driving for performance for a while. maybe sigh up for a HPDE in the fall after a few thousand miles shift time. imho

Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM
thanks for all the input guys!
thnxbabe, with regard to the shifting at 2k rpms vs 5k. what's the advantage/disadvantage? I get more fuel economy by shifting lower rpms right? When im around school, i don't want the loud engine sound associated with higher rpms to attract unnecessary attention generally... as long as my shifting at 2k isn't 'damaging' the engine by lugging it or something, i think i am ok with that... i probably do not need all the torque/hp at the higher rpms.

kelderek, hmm yea i need to learn to push gas while releasing clutch i guess. that sounded like the culprit. thanks!!
i'll also try to find someone with a lot of stick time to teach me.. i guess youtube isn't good enough on its own, haha

Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
thnxbabe has a spectacular aura aboutthnxbabe has a spectacular aura about
"Lugging" your engine - or shifting at low RPM - is not what that engine is designed for. I am sure it is not as much of a problem with the newer engines, but with the older engines it was bad to "lug" them all the time. That engine is designed to be wound up - no reason to baby it. You also didn't buy a Porsche to see good MPG. You have your Honda Fit, or diesel VW for that.

Your car also comes alive after 4K. Enjoy it!

Old 04-24-2012, 06:39 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Never shift below 3,000 rpm and wait until it's warm before shifting above 4,000 rpm. Porsche recommendations and they work great. Also, get some help beyond YouTube for driving.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:31 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
My two cents FWIW

As said before, your feet should be going in opposite directions, so as you are releasing the clutch give it a little gas, so when you fully disengage the clutch your RPM's will be right there making for a smooth transition. If you give it too much gas, no worries, but hold on Now when down shifting you'll need to "blip" the RPMS up so you get the transition. I suggest you get up warly one Sunday, go to a big parking lot and practice for a few hours, then you'll get it.
As far as shifting, never before 2k RPM's these cars are designed to run high RPM's shifting between 4 and 6,500 RPMS is good and will not hurt the car at all. In fact Porsche recommends always keeping the RPM's over 2k. Don't worry about the gas mileage, that's not why you bought the car, have fun. Also ALWAYS use 93 octane gas, like Shell or Chevron.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
not sure what year your car is but the manual in my spyder specifies that you shouldn't lug the engine and drive below 2k rpm

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM
MR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to beholdMR2FAST is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MR2FAST
not sure what year your car is but the manual in my spyder specifies that you shouldn't lug the engine and drive below 2k rpm

edit: you'll learn to love the engine note as an indicator of rpm and when to shift

Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 AM
kemkc is on a distinguished road
when the car is cold i keep the car below 2000 rpm, when it starts to warm up i keep it under 3000 rpm. Once fully warm i tend to drive changing gear somewhere between 3-4k rpm. Obviously if driving hard anywhere up to redline i change gear. I think its acceptable to cruise a long at low 2000 rpm when the car is on the highway

Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Goon is on a distinguished road
I think you should also keep in mind that after you become very comfortable with the manual the next step will be to practice matching revs on your downshifts. My opinion is that any driver who is not matching revs on downshifts and performing the heel/toe technique in serious performance driving situations is not properly using a manual stickshift in their sports car. Learning is easy these days with all of the YouTube videos.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Cayman Cab S is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents of advice is to go to a big parking lot to practice clutch release without any throttle input. Use only the clutch to start off in 1st gear. This will teach a smooth release and where the clutch engages. The throttle engagement as others state is progressive with the clutch release. Starts on hills can be aided with the parking brake. Especially when some knuckle head is inches behind you!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Cajundaddy will become famous soon enough
A couple of things... First, please don't drive around in your Porsche below 2000 rpm. It is designed and engineered as a sports car and you are just murdering the poor thing. Second, as others have said get in the car with an experienced Porsche driver and trade seats often. Smooth is fast and anything that pops, jerks, or otherwise unsettles the car during shifting is probably hard on the drive train (crankshaft, IMS, clutch, CV joints etc).

Your Boxster RPM guide:
Stone cold and around town- revs between 2k-4k
Spirited driving- 3-6k
Track days 4k-redline

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 04-28-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM
guys thanks for all the input, i really really appreciate it!
I have become much smoother at shifting up now. Also I have taken your advice on shifting at higher RPMs.
However, I do notice that the engine noise at a constant RPM higher than 2.5k, 3k is really unpleasant. its like not a roar or grunt or whatever, but sounds like whining and sounds like the engine is 'dragging down' and slowing down the car (constant throttle input). is this normal? I really like the sound of the engine going through the rpms, but when held at a higher constant RPM, it is supposed to sound weird right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: noob question on shifting gears at higher RPMs