Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More PPI/DME questions.... (help me get my first porsche, or nice car in general)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Solaxun is on a distinguished road
More PPI/DME questions.... (help me get my first porsche, or nice car in general)

Is it standard practice to have this work done only at Porsche dealerships, or pretty much any shop you determine (somehow) is reputable? I have my eyes on a car but there are no Porsche dealerships anywhere nearby, nobody on the board knows of a shop in town, and the seller works for a dealer so I am worried he may have connections in-town with local smaller shops.

Thanks in advance.
-Soon to have much lighter wallet

Old 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
hmm, I would schedule a PPI with a reputable independent shop and make sure you are present for the inspection. Have them go over everything with you if you can. Make sure they do a DME readout for over revs and print you the sheet. Where are you looking at this car?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Solaxun is on a distinguished road
Monroe, Louisiana.

Car looks good and has low miles, but it's a 3rd owner which makes me a bit cautious. Just trying to make sure I cross every t and dot every i. Don't really know anything about that region so finding a shop may be difficult, plus I don't know what connections the seller may have. I would prefer to not be present because it's a day trip at best but you are probably right that it is necessary.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:28 PM
LightngSVT is on a distinguished road
Dont mean to hijack, but what is a DME readout? Can any shop perform this?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by LightngSVT
Dont mean to hijack, but what is a DME readout? Can any shop perform this?
Its a read out from the scan tool showing the history of how the car has been used...most use it to verify over-revs.