Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First intro, ordered my first Porsche, 2013 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
syaero is infamous around these parts
Welcome and congrats! Great car...you'll going to love it! Please post pics when it's here!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by orangecrush
I noticed you chose PASM, I went back and forth about it still haven’t decided it if was worth the extra 1800 bucks for 10mm.
PASM is a great system, I have it on my 987. It's not just about ride height, it both adds comfort during normal driving and handling when pushing the car harder. Works beautifully, a must have to really enjoy a Boxster and use it's full potential.

It was one of the first boxes I ticket for my 981 build!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:16 AM
qhb
qhb is infamous around these parts

20” Carrera wheels (I’m in the body shop business so I’ll powder coat them black myself.... didn’t want to pay 1400 for powder coating)
Very nice specs on a beautiful car. It's nice that you have access to powder coat the wheels yourself so you don't worry about the wheels weaken from excessive heat. Again, congrats...

Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kelderek
PASM is a great system, I have it on my 987. It's not just about ride height, it both adds comfort during normal driving and handling when pushing the car harder. Works beautifully, a must have to really enjoy a Boxster and use it's full potential.

It was one of the first boxes I ticket for my 981 build!

I did watch quite a few review videos this weekend and in a couple of them, they thought it wasn't necc. on the 2013's.

I have nothing to compare it to since the Boxsters I test drove didn't have it and of course, I was so thrilled with the way they handled, I never thought about it needing more.

I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by qhb
Very nice specs on a beautiful car. It's nice that you have access to powder coat the wheels yourself so you don't worry about the wheels weaken from excessive heat. Again, congrats...

I'm powdercoating (one of the shops my shop deals with) the wheels for two reasons.

1) It doesn't cost me anything.

2) Porsche doesn't powder coat the entire wheel. They leave the inside of the backside of the wheel natural and the polished lip on the wheel.

Not only do I want the entire wheel powder coated, I don't want a polished lip. I think a gloss black wheel with a nice red stripe around the outside edge will set it off.

Now, a lot of stuff I'll paint myself....ie. Rollbar's, side vents, washer nozzles, inside dash pieces (ONLY on dash, not console and stuff) Some of the stuff they charge for to paint is ridiculous.

I am paying to have the door trim painted so I don't have to pull it. Removing it isn't a big deal, we work on porsches here in the shop anyways but the less it's removed, the less there are worn clips which stops squeaking, etc...

Mark

Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
I did watch quite a few review videos this weekend and in a couple of them, they thought it wasn't necc. on the 2013's.

I have nothing to compare it to since the Boxsters I test drove didn't have it and of course, I was so thrilled with the way they handled, I never thought about it needing more.
I saw those reviews as well and I don't know if they have enough information to really say that. I assume all demo cars driven by journalists had PASM and I seriously doubt if they can make that conclusion from a quick drive with just one car. My own opinions are from driving 987's only, so I can't say how PASM affects the handling on a 981.

But you're right, the Boxster handles wonderfully even without PASM, so it's just the subtle difference between "really great handling" and "really, really great handling" we are talking about here.

I can't tell exactly what PASM does for the resale value, but it can't be a disadvantage anyway, so that's another factor to weigh in.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
PASM is a must!! I actually believe full leather and PASM are two of the most important options. The full leather gives the interior a huge upgrade and looks at home in a car that is this much money IMO.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Karrera4
PASM is a must!! I actually believe full leather and PASM are two of the most important options. The full leather gives the interior a huge upgrade and looks at home in a car that is this much money IMO.

I passed on the full leather only because of the leather on the door panels. I have a BMW 650i in the shop right now. The top of the door panel looks like crap because it's stained from suntan lotion, oil and sweat.

I've had quite a few cars in here that have been affected the same way. I'm not saying it will happen to the Porsche, I just know I'll be pissed as hell if I spring for full leather and have that problem.

I do however love the look of the leather dash.

I think I'm going to pass on the PASM but I'm definitely looking into the sport chrono package. (I could do without the lap timer but it's part of the package)

Everyone that I have talked to says that it's much like the sport button on my JCW. (except steering ratio... the sport button doesn't effect that) It does however make a big difference on throttle control.... much more peppier.

Mark

Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor
LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !LaneS@MAcarbon Is a GOD !
Congrats on your soon to be new car...I love everything Porsche has done with the new Boxster.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
I passed on the full leather only because of the leather on the door panels. I have a BMW 650i in the shop right now. The top of the door panel looks like crap because it's stained from suntan lotion, oil and sweat.

I've had quite a few cars in here that have been affected the same way. I'm not saying it will happen to the Porsche, I just know I'll be pissed as hell if I spring for full leather and have that problem.

I do however love the look of the leather dash.

I think I'm going to pass on the PASM but I'm definitely looking into the sport chrono package. (I could do without the lap timer but it's part of the package)

Everyone that I have talked to says that it's much like the sport button on my JCW. (except steering ratio... the sport button doesn't effect that) It does however make a big difference on throttle control.... much more peppier.

Mark
The car already comes standard with a "Sport" button that changes the throttle mapping. Sport Chrono adds a "Sport Plus" button that makes further throttle mapping changes and, with PDK ups the speed of shifts and adds launch control. The pakcage also includes dynamic active transmission mounts. All that being said, if you ordered a manual transmission, the concensus is that Sport Chrono is not worth the price. With PDK, it is a must have.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by caveatesq
The car already comes standard with a "Sport" button that changes the throttle mapping. Sport Chrono adds a "Sport Plus" button that makes further throttle mapping changes and, with PDK ups the speed of shifts and adds launch control. The pakcage also includes dynamic active transmission mounts. All that being said, if you ordered a manual transmission, the concensus is that Sport Chrono is not worth the price. With PDK, it is a must have.

Thank God someone clarified that for me...

BTW, here's my new updated option sheet. The stitching of red was $710 bucks.

Mark

Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM
qhb
qhb is infamous around these parts
Your seats insert (middle) will be "Alcantara". If you upgrade your seat from Partial Leather Seats to Partial Leather Seats with Leather Package, a $500 upgrade, the insert will be leather instead. Also, the following will be covered with leather: Instrument shroud, Centre console storage compartment lid, Seat centres, Seat side bolsters, headrests, Door panel armrests, and Door handle. These small leather additions will make the interior feels richer.

I am curious, since you're in the body shop business why don't you spray the Wing mirror (lower part) and save $605?

Also, for a 6-speed I would swap the Sport Chrono Package with PASM.

As you can see, we love to spend someone else money and configure these p-cars . But at the end of the day it's your baby so configure it the way you like it .

Old 05-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by qhb
Your seats insert (middle) will be "Alcantara". If you upgrade your seat from Partial Leather Seats to Partial Leather Seats with Leather Package, a $500 upgrade, the insert will be leather instead. Also, the following will be covered with leather: Instrument shroud, Centre console storage compartment lid, Seat centres, Seat side bolsters, headrests, Door panel armrests, and Door handle. These small leather additions will make the interior feels richer.
I'll look into the choices a little better. I like what you said about the few parts that are leather.

I am curious, since you're in the body shop business why don't you spray the Wing mirror (lower part) and save $605?

Simple.... in order to paint the lower part of the wing, you have to remove the mirror. That's not a big deal but to remove the mirror you have to remove the door trim panel and the glass.

Not sure what you know about aligning German door glass back up but it's a pain. We do it all the time but being a brand new car, I don't want to take it apart, have to replace clips, have squeaks, etc, etc. Being the fact that I'm willing to pay $600 bucks for two stupid piece of plastics should let you know what a PIA it is to remove them. I wish they were like the mini. On the mini, you twist the mirror, take out to torq bolts and remove the mirror.

Also, for a 6-speed I would swap the Sport Chrono Package with PASM.

As you can see, we love to spend someone else money and configure these p-cars . But at the end of the day it's your baby so configure it the way you like it .
LOL... ain't that the truth... ya'll spend someone else's money, won'tcha? LOL.

Mark

Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
As for PASM vs. Sport Chrono...

I see that as a pretty distinct two-stage process to improve handling: First PASM to get a firmer suspension setting in Sport mode. Then Sport Chrono if you want to add the extra benefit of dynamic transmission mounts.

For the handling, you'll get much more "bang for the buck" with PASM. You push that PASM button and you'll feel the difference right away. For Sport Chrono, you'll probably have to be at the track to feel any significant difference when it comes to handling.

As already stated above, there is a Sport button as standard. Sport Chrono just adds the Sport Plus setting. For a car with PDK, that makes sense since it adds a pretty extreme track mapping for the PDK shifting and it adds Launch Control. For a manual transmission, I'm not really sure what it adds in terms of software mapping. Possible an even more aggressive throttle response than the standard Sport button. Not a big deal.

So, my recommendation is:

Go for PASM. Or go for PASM and Sport Chrono.
Going for just Sport Chrono on a manual transmission car doesn't add that much really.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Welcome

Cool color on that Mini OrangeCrush....kinda partial to the orange myself!

Also joining the Boxster club, love this new car.

Ordered mine as follows:
PTS Riviera Blue
Black Carrera S Wheels
PASM (see comment below)
Sport Chrono (must have)
Roll bars painted to exterior
Bose
PDK (daily driver and I have a stick in RS and Cayman track car)
Premium Package
Seat Vent/Heat
Seat belts guards red to match brake calipers

On your question for the PASM, you wont notice it around town, but under hard driving (DE, track day or back roads) the active suspension is pretty great. That being said, I NEVER use my sport PASM on a back road, as its just too stiff. But the Comfort PASM, you can feel it helping hold the road when you drive hard. I think its worth it. Now, the PTV, no one is gonna need that unless you track the car and are just totally sold on being the absolute fastest possible.

Are you doing manual or PDK? Still waffling here, was gonna do a third car with stick, but decided for DD, spouse and outright best offline performance, might be cool to try something new. Drove a 991S with it and I can see why F1 etc all use it, no human with a clutch can compete. That being said, I have til July 1 to change mine, as Sept production.....

Good luck and again, great taste in the Mini color! Sorry to see it go i am sure.

I had the full black leather but from seeing cars with leather interiors at my shop, if you’re the type of person that hangs their arms out, I’ve seen the leather get discolored (BAD) from oils and sweat. By removing the full leather and going partial (seats) it was a 2-3K savings.

So are you saying that if you don’t select the premium package (and thus do not get adaptive headlights) will you still get the washer nozzles?

I noticed you chose PASM, I went back and forth about it still haven’t decided it if was worth the extra 1800 bucks for 10mm.

Two more things..... Vented seats. In NC when the sun is sweltering, I’m hoping that the seats cool my *** off.

Look at the pic I posted. The slats in the air intake in the front bumper are painted. I can’t find the option to or not to include them. Anyone know where that is?

Mark

Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by qhb

Good choice... I added the 500 partial leather! Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by TurboDogue
Cool color on that Mini OrangeCrush....kinda partial to the orange myself!
I almost paid the 5500 extra to make the car GT3 orange...lol. But I’m also partial to the guards red so it saves me 5500 bucks and I’m still happy.

Are you doing manual or PDK? Still waffling here, was gonna do a third car with stick, but decided for DD, spouse and outright best offline performance, might be cool to try something new. Drove a 991S with it and I can see why F1 etc all use it, no human with a clutch can compete. That being said, I have til July 1 to change mine, as Sept production.....

Good luck and again, great taste in the Mini color! Sorry to see it go i am sure.

I’m going manual. I took a PDK for a test drive and though it was very responsive, the manual is SOOOO easy and smooth to shift, I don’t think I’ll mind driving a manual in traffic.

I have to say... the manual porsche trans is smooth as silk.

Yeah, the mini will be missed. It’s putting out 250HP and 260FTLBS at the wheels. With coilovers, sways bars. OS Giken LSD and clutch, the car is very competitive at the track (not so much when you get long straightaways...lol.)

But I’m sure my misery will be buried quickly when I drive the Porsche.

Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First intro, ordered my first Porsche, 2013 Boxster S