Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 981 S is delivered!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
PorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to beholdPorschePaul is a splendid one to behold
Really, really nice! White looks great and I normally don't like white cars. Enjoy!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Roos will become famous soon enough
Hi,
Really à nice car, enjoy.

I will have My delivered in end of July, white with black rims and red top.

Is their anyone that's know what can be done to get some more power in the car, if I understand everything right the Boxster engine 3,4 is the same engine as the Carrera 3,4 have, 315 vs 350, could be nice to have à little bit more.

Best Regards
Thomas R

Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 AM
l3m
l3m will become famous soon enoughl3m will become famous soon enough
Sharp looking vehicle. I always loved Porsche white. Congrats.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM
qhb
qhb is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Very very nice car. Congrats!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks all!

Took a little longer trip today and it's a really nice car on the highway. One thing that I noticed when driving in auto mode is that the PDK is a little too eager to select 7th gear. It also tries to hold 7th gear even when you accelerate, but that's easily fixed by just shifting down with the paddle, you can always override the auto mode. Or drive in Sport mode, that disables 7th gear entirely...

The coasting function is really nice on the highway. Release the throttle gently and it will decouple the transmission and just roll with the engine idling. This works very smoothly and I found myself using it quite a few times without even having to think about it. When you really need the engine to brake for you, release the throttle quickly and it works as on every other car. You can always interrupt the coasting by pulling one of the PDK paddles and the clutch engages again. It all works very smoothly, the car anticipates what you want to do in an almost spooky manner.

I also noticed that the Bose audio system is greatly improved! I wasn't that impressed with it on the 987 and I hesitated a bit when ticking that box for the 981. Now I'm glad I did, it sounds really nice!

Old 06-09-2012, 02:31 PM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Kelderek
Thanks all!

Took a little longer trip today and it's a really nice car on the highway. One thing that I noticed when driving in auto mode is that the PDK is a little too eager to select 7th gear. It also tries to hold 7th gear even when you accelerate, but that's easily fixed by just shifting down with the paddle, you can always override the auto mode. Or drive in Sport mode, that disables 7th gear entirely...

The coasting function is really nice on the highway. Release the throttle gently and it will decouple the transmission and just roll with the engine idling. This works very smoothly and I found myself using it quite a few times without even having to think about it. When you really need the engine to brake for you, release the throttle quickly and it works as on every other car. You can always interrupt the coasting by pulling one of the PDK paddles and the clutch engages again. It all works very smoothly, the car anticipates what you want to do in an almost spooky manner.

I also noticed that the Bose audio system is greatly improved! I wasn't that impressed with it on the 987 and I hesitated a bit when ticking that box for the 981. Now I'm glad I did, it sounds really nice!

Two questions... I’m assuming the coast feature is for PDK only (I know, stupid question but with German engineering, anything’s possible)

Also, can you hear the stereo when the top is down running down the highway at 60-70 mph?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 06-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Kelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of lightKelderek is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Two questions... I’m assuming the coast feature is for PDK only (I know, stupid question but with German engineering, anything’s possible)

Also, can you hear the stereo when the top is down running down the highway at 60-70 mph?

Thanks,

Mark
The coasting feature is only available with PDK, since it requires an automated operation of the clutch.

You can hear the stereo with the top down at such speeds, but it's not really enjoyable. At that speed you get a lot of road noise. The wind noise is not really the problem, it's the noise from the tires. I seldom drive on the highway with the top down for extended periods of time, it's to tiring.
Closing the side windows help a lot, I always have them closed above 50 mph. Otherwise, I like to drive with them down, when driving open it should really be open!

At more moderate speeds, the Bose sounds great with the top down, it actually adapts to the position of the top, it changes some settings to accomodate for the different aucostics. In the 987, I actually noticed that the system sounded better with the top down (as long as you drove at moderate speeds, that is ), but I haven't made a serious comparison in the 981 yet.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kelderek
Thanks all!

IMO, I think Porsche AT in general does this, not specific to PDK.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:51 AM
spf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the roughspf4000 is a jewel in the rough
Wow, this car looks fantastic in white! The side profile looks better than the 911 Cab. Congrats on the purchase!

Old 06-10-2012, 02:30 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Congrats! The car looks great. Porsche has really improved with all of the redesigns IMO, and the 981 Boxster really speaks to that.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:44 PM
ShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really niceShahulX is just really nice
It is a beaut

Looks like a more sophisticated car than my spyder..

How's the steering feel vs a 987?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM
LightngSVT is on a distinguished road
Wow, gorgeous car! It really appears to be leaps and bounds beyond the 987 or 986. I was just building almost the same car this evening online (white, black wheels / top, red full leather interior, 6 speed), it came out to around $79k. Not sure Im ready for that kind of commitment yet, but after looking at your car its extremely tempting!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM
rossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud ofrossii has much to be proud of
Congrats! It looks fantastic in white......I've seen the Speed Yellow, Red, Mahogany, Aqua, Dark metallic blue in person but the white is just classic.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by ShahulX
How's the steering feel vs a 987?
There's has been a lot of debate around the electric steering, but I find that it works great. It's just as responsive and direct as the 987 steering.

What I do notice is that it insulates the bumbs and cracks in the road a little more, the steering wheel is not as "alive" in your hands as in the 987, which was a pretty unique car when it came to steering wheel feedback. Like someone else said in another forum: you can still feel when you ride over a coin, but you can't tell the denomination of the coin anymore... So it's a very small difference and I don't really consider it a negative.

Originally Posted by rossii
Congrats! It looks fantastic in white......I've seen the Speed Yellow, Red, Mahogany, Aqua, Dark metallic blue in person but the white is just classic.
It looks great in many colors!
Actually, Speed Yellow is history, the new color for both the 991 and 981 is Racing Yellow, it's slightly brighter.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 AM
orangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to beholdorangecrush is a splendid one to behold
You know, I’ve been okay with waiting for my car to arrive. Every once in a while, I’ll look at a few pics and since your car has arrived, I find myself checking out the pics more often.

So today was a lay around day doing nothing and again I looked at your pics which made me go on you tube and start watching videos.

Point is, it’s 3:50am, I can’t sleep because for some strange reason, I’ve got Porsche on the brain.

I’ve been tossing and turning all night and I have to go to work in 2 hours.

SO THANKS A LOT!

Mark

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 981 S is delivered!