Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow, PSM fail, ABS fail, flashing dash lights

Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
mike_balt is on a distinguished road
snow, PSM fail, ABS fail, flashing dash lights

So caught out in snow/ice storm. on way home, lots of 15 mph crawling with fish tailing, etc. That triggered the PSM failure lights and the ABS failure lights. honestly, the fail of the ABS was good as I could pile snow in front of tires to stop without ABS. So at this point the brake light is solid red, and the PSM and ABS failure messages are running constantly and the engine has shifted from a low pitch to a high pitch. I'm guessing some limp home mode. OK, no prob.

My concern is that every time the rears started to slide, the CD would stop playing, screen would go black and the dash lights (like the whole electrical system) would flash a few times. then the CD would come back on where it left off, the middle screen would come back and the dash lights would return to what ever level of freaked out they were before the slide.

So from the forum, I get the PSM and ABS failures will likely go away by driving on dry pavement over 35 mph, but whats with the alternating blackout and christmas tree on the dash every time the rears start to slide? almost seems like a short or a really freaked out computer.

has anyone seen this?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Sounds like a voltage issue to me. Any chance there's snow near your pulleys causing your belt to slip?