Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Cayman S Clutch "Overheated" at 17K miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM
chrisdv is on a distinguished road
2010 Cayman S Clutch "Overheated" at 17K miles?

2010 manual Cayman S, 17K miles under warranty. After driving for 30 min in stop and go traffic uphill, grey smoke started coming out of side vents with bad burning smell. Stopped for 30 min, then drove the car to the nearest dealership. After hours of research, they came back and said the clutch "overheated". Need to replace the clutch - $3K - not covered under warranty.

I've put 5K miles on this car after I bought it. Never had any problem like this with stick shift BMW M and many other cars.

Does not seem normal to me. I have a feeling this has something to do with "Hill Assist" on this car.

Anybody had similar experience?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chrisdv
2010 manual Cayman S, 17K miles under warranty. After driving for 30 min in stop and go traffic uphill, grey smoke started coming out of side vents with bad burning smell. Stopped for 30 min, then drove the car to the nearest dealership. After hours of research, they came back and said the clutch "overheated". Need to replace the clutch - $3K - not covered under warranty.

I've put 5K miles on this car after I bought it. Never had any problem like this with stick shift BMW M and many other cars.

Does not seem normal to me. I have a feeling this has something to do with "Hill Assist" on this car.

Anybody had similar experience?
hmm maybe you should complain 17kmiles? now I live in San Ramon, but I drive more stop and go traffic before on my 09 boxster had 48k miles when i used to live in Mountian House.. never had an issue.. thats rediculous..
where did you take it?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek. I talked to the Service Manager tonight and he said this is an issue with "hydraulic clutches", i.e. they break faster because of the materials used. "With hot weather and stop/go traffic this is not uncommon". You should pull over and wait until the traffic subsides. Not complaining about him, because he was actually helpful. But seriously? For a car like this. The average Fiat 500 in Italy is subject to harsher conditions and that clutch doesn't break down until you've passed 75K miles.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 AM
gedwin is on a distinguished road
Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek. I talked to the Service Manager tonight and he said this is an issue with "hydraulic clutches", i.e. they break faster because of the materials used. "With hot weather and stop/go traffic this is not uncommon". You should pull over and wait until the traffic subsides. Not complaining about him, because he was actually helpful. But seriously? For a car like this. The average Fiat 500 in Italy is subject to harsher conditions and that clutch doesn't break down until you've passed 75K miles.
The service manager has no clue. His statement is completely false and misleading. You need to deal with someone who is knowledgeable; about automobiles in general.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully you havent done anything...Sent you a pm, i spoke to my friend at the stealer, and told him your situation..
they can do it way less than that..

Old 04-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Got it back from the dealer without replacing the clutch. Drove the car 50 miles this evening without a problem. If the clutch was truly gone, I assume I would have noticed. Got off the highway, checked smell from vents and couldn't smell anything.
After driving off the highway for about 10 miles of regular road driving, some of the burnt smell is returning, primarily from right rear vent.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 AM
Seinsmeld13 is on a distinguished road
Keep us posted

Old 05-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Noah Fect is a jewel in the roughNoah Fect is a jewel in the roughNoah Fect is a jewel in the roughNoah Fect is a jewel in the rough
Throw-out bearing?

Oil leaking past main seal?

Definitely not normal, and yes, that service manager is a nitwit.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 PM
carcrazyteen is on a distinguished road
I have well over that on my clutch. That does not sound normal.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 PM
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough
Doesn't sound normal. Get a second, or third opinion...