Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman Won't Start: Clutch needs to be depressed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM
ttam110 is on a distinguished road
Cayman Won't Start: Clutch needs to be depressed

I have a 2007 porsche cayman that purchased six months ago as a flood car. I bought it as a DIY project. In order to get it up and running, I changed the fused box, relay box, all the computers on board (ECU, Driver assistant module, module inside the trunk, module inside the glovebox, and much more).

Now my problem is that the car does not start. I turn the key, but get the message that the “clutch needs to be depressed.” Obviously I try doing that, but it still gives me that message I checked the two limit switches for the clutch, and they’re look ok.

I should mention that I tried bypassing the switch (theres two, afaik -- a red one and a gray one) as well and still no luck. I even used an Ohm meter and all seems well.

Do I need to take the car to the dealer to reprogram/reflash the ECU to work with the other components? The reason I ask is because I had purchased the different modules and ECU from various places, so I am thinking if that could cause the issue?

Any ideas as to what else I could try?

Thanks in advance…

Last edited by ttam110; 05-17-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Fluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond reputeFluid987 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes I actually know this issue there is a part where when you push the clutch in and it needs to meet a part where it tells the car the clutch is engaged ,its a bracket beneath the clutch with a trigger and it needs to be bent back to where it triggers the clutch engagement .bend the part where it engages upward and it should work . I had this exact issue ..call me if you need help .

Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 AM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty sure you can't mix and match ECU with a different immobilizer. Hope you have the VIN from each, otherwise you cannot get the IPAS codes.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting issue. Guessing you made sure you were engaging the switches - sounds like it - but you even bypassed them.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
javCS is on a distinguished road
I hope is a simple repair and not the immobilizer issue. good luck

Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM
GWerks is on a distinguished road
If you replaced the ECU you will need to get the immobilizer matched to your new ECU and possibly recode the rest of the modules.