Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS bearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 PM
TrueGuardsRed is on a distinguished road
IMS bearing

I have an 02 BoxsterS w/36K. Has anyone had the IMS after-market kit installed? My car is naturally outside of the limits of the class action settlement.

Last oil change revealed a very small amount of rubber? type debris (not metal) in the filter. My mechanic said it is more than likely the IMS seal? And that I may want to consider having the IMS job done for next driving season. I put approx 5k on the car per year and have it serviced for the season every March.

Thanks,

John

Old 06-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TrueGuardsRed
I have an 02 BoxsterS w/36K. Has anyone had the IMS after-market kit installed? My car is naturally outside of the limits of the class action settlement.

Last oil change revealed a very small amount of rubber? type debris (not metal) in the filter. My mechanic said it is more than likely the IMS seal? And that I may want to consider having the IMS job done for next driving season. I put approx 5k on the car per year and have it serviced for the season every March.

Thanks,

John
If the rubber is rather hard it could be the IMSB seal deteriorating.

If the rubber is soft chances are it is not rubber but some piece of sealant -- used to seal the camshaft covers to their respective head and the oil sump plate to the bottom of the engine to name to areas that get sealant, lots of sealant -- that came loose. Given the engine has such low miles it is still a "new" engine (50K mile warranty...) so that it is still shedding this stuff...

Or some of the rubber used to keep oil around the engine oil pump intake is coming apart.

Given the small amount unless you tell me it is hard, I'm going with its some piece of sealant that is in the oil.

BTW you have a very good year Boxster. My 02 (base) has over 268K miles on its original engine and clutch. Damn floor mats are worn out though. Crappy German floor mats!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Good to hear about the 02 model year! 268k? At my current rate of 5k/yr I think the car will outlast me!

Anyway, the cost of the IMS kit installed is about $3000. ...and that's from my mechanic, not the dealer. Of course the cost of not doing it is a blown engine with no warning whatsoever. "Cheap" insurance?

Apparently this is not just a Boxster problem. Its a known issue with the 99-04 911s as well. I know of 2 owners locally who have had this problem. One was covered by the class action settlement, one was not.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 PM
kenny p is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Macster
My 02 (base) has over 268K miles on its original engine and clutch. Damn floor mats are worn out though. Crappy German floor mats!
I'll be damned if any floor mats look good after 268k miles.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
tnoice is on a distinguished road
I just had the IMS solution done. The procedure was around $3500 for the ImS solution, clutch, rear main seal..... I am very impressed and I had flat 6 innovations do the job in Cleveland Ga. They did a great job and took excellent care of my car.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
$3,500 for preventative maintenance is worth far more for peace of mind and engine longevity than chancing a blown engine. I mean, folks drop that and more on exhaust systems. Unless you can somehow verify this has already been done, I'd do the IMS and move on.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
IMS bearing replacement is becoming more popular as preventive maintenance. I have provided a link to our DIY article on this subject if you are interested in reading the details of the work involved - even though you may have your trusted shop do the work - it might be good to know what they'll be doing. Here you go:

IMS Bearing Replacement

Mark/Pelican Parts

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-05-2013, 09:31 PM
tuner1984 will become famous soon enough
Great DIY.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-08-2013, 05:45 PM
walt106 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up IMS Bearing

I had the bearing replacement last year on my 2005 boxter by Musante Motor Sports in Connecticut. Clutch replacement, plus 60,000 mile service for $4000 dollars. I think peace of mind is worth it.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM
the_vetman has a spectacular aura aboutthe_vetman has a spectacular aura about
Depending on what you're getting done (LN IMS ceramic bearing or the new IMS Solution), you may want to shop around. $3,000 for a ceramic bearing installation in a 986 is - IMO - ridiculous. Costs vary but typically $1,500-2,000. People have gotten them done for as low as under $1,500.

Just to be clear, this is NOT for the new IMS Solution and is not factoring anything else you get done "while you're in there" (clutch, FW, RMS, etc.).

Last edited by the_vetman; 06-10-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM
heiwaz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TrueGuardsRed

Thanks,

John
I have installed the LN kit almos 2 years ago and works perfectly. I think is the best price-quality ratio kit

Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the good news. I'll probably take care of this next Spring.

Happy motoring!

John

Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the tip, I was not aware there were 2 different solutions to this problem. I'll ask around!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 AM
It would be nice if I could share some labor costs with this job once I decide to do it...but next Spring, all I'm due for is the usual oil service and inspection.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IMS bearing