Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R with steel brakes gets a Brembo work-over @ SharkWerks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Cayman R with steel brakes gets a Brembo work-over @ SharkWerks

I know a lot of you with steel brakes on these gen2 cars have complained about the response, feel and inconsistency of the brakes before so here's an example (expensive though it is) that we tackled. This local 2011 Cayman R was feeling a bit blue after a few track events when it came to its stock steel brakes. The pedal feel is notoriously mushy/inconsistent and many Gen2 Cayman owners have complained about this in comparison to their 911s. With R-compound tires and a quick driver at the track this otherwise nifty Cayman R needed a brake overhaul with a 14 inch 6-piston Brembo Brake Kit.

In for surgery:

The first port of call is the upgraded brake master cylinder, from a Gen2 GT3 with PCCB's:

The fronts are the very same brakes as on the 2006 Cayman S when it was first introduced. With the additional power and improved suspension Porsche really could have upped the ante for the Cayman R model...

The stock rear rotors were very worn and ready to be changed:

The Brembo goodies awaiting their turn:

The much larger and now 6-piston Brembo caliper vs smaller stock 4-piston:

Two piece slotted rotor with way more surface are vs the stock drilled and tired one...

Thicker and yet lighter too!:
[img]http://www.sharkwerks.com/forum_photos/_cayman/2011_Porsche_Cayman_R_Brembo_Brake_Kit_GT3_Brake_M aster_Cylinder/2011_Porsche_Cayman_R_Brembo_Brakes_GT3_Brake_Mast er_Cylinder_27.JPG[/iimg]

Even the new 4-piston rear caliper is considerably larger:

Garnished in silver:

Fronts installed:

Rears being installed:

The stock 19 inch Cayman R wheels are some of the nicest factory wheels Porsche has ever had so no changes there. Fitment is a-ok with the larger brakes:

Ready to go hit some local NorCal tracks... only this time armed with a more consistent brake pedal, improved cooling (to help deal with traction control brake wear interference) and way more bite!

Attached Images                   
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM
dc7
dc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nicedc7 is just really nice
this makes me miss my cayman. the brembos look great

Old 08-19-2013, 11:12 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dc7
this makes me miss my cayman. the brembos look great
Aye they're well balanced

Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
That looks awesome

Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Will this brake kit fit with the Cayman R stock wheels? I only ask because the Brembo info(click on the link), states it doesn't fit with the stock wheels.

Love the pics. I agree that the Cayman's brakes are not the best. I have a Mini GP and the brakes (6 piston) are noticeably better.

Can you describe the differences between the old brakes and this new set up?

Thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 11:00 PM
syaero is on a distinguished road
Awesome looking brakes! Thanks for sharing!

Is the slotted disc significantly better than the drilled disc? If so, wonder why Porsche, and other high-end sports cars, still go with drilled disc over slotted disc. For the look?