Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd sound shifting into second gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 AM
casprog is on a distinguished road
Odd sound shifting into second gear

Hello, all!

This is my first post. Last week I purchased an '08 Cayman (non S), used-certified from a Porsche dealership.

Tonight I took the car out for a drive and noticed a strange sound that happened twice. After the car was warmed up I started shifting at about 3K - 4K RPM. At one point going from first to second gear at about 3.5K RPM I heard a metal scratching sound, it didn't sound like gears grinding (sound is difficult to explain) Maybe a metal scrape?. The sound started before I even tried to shift into second gear. As soon as I shifted into second gear the sound stopped. I continued driving, stopped at a light, and again taking first gear to 3K RPM I heard it again. I shifted into second and the sound stopped immediately, again. At this pointed I started to get very concerned, but the sound stopped happening, even though I didn't change my driving style. I drove the car for about 25 - 30 miles and nothing, no odd sounds since with lots of stop and go driving.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing, but does this sound like something to be concerned over? The vehicle has a clear history, one owner, and 50K miles.

-Erick

Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 PM
laredo1307 is on a distinguished road
I've experienced the exact same thing in mine when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Like you say, it doesn't always happen. You're not the first person I heard say this either. I honestly believe its something in the shifting linkage and not the transmission itself. Remember there are shifting cables that run under your center console and over the top of the motor that connect to the transmission.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:33 PM
casprog is on a distinguished road
Thanks Laredo, I sure hope it isn't the transmission : /

I just got back from another drive and it happened twice (driving 30 or so miles). After the second time, I lowered my windows to try and get a better listen for the next time in case it is louder from the outside, but it stopped happening. Very strange.

I'm pretty positive now that this only happens when I take first gear to about 3K RPM. If I shift lower it will probably stop altogether, but shouldn't this car be able to handle shifting at 3K and above?

By the way, here is the new car!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	272064  

Last edited by casprog; 08-18-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 PM
laredo1307 is on a distinguished road
I have 2008S as well and I know it's the exact same thing you're feeling. I purchased mine 5 months ago with 34k miles. I'm confident it's not major but if I notice it getting worse I'll probably take it in. Mine's a CPO so I have over a year left to monitor it.

Next time see if it makes a difference if you pull the stick straight back vs putting pressure towards your left as you're switching gears.

Nice Car!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Car4.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	272289