Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much brake squeak do you get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:57 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
How much brake squeak do you get?

Brand new boxster S here and I know high performance cars have brake squeal at that last bit of slowing down at a light. My last performance car did this and when it happened on the rate occasion it was quiet. This car for 80 miles was silent now the brake squeal it had is SO LOUD. Sounds like my rotors are used up already lol.

Does anyone else experience this?

Old 10-30-2013, 04:57 PM
cremaley is on a distinguished road
I drive a 2011 Boxster Spyder with 6,300 miles on the odometer and have never experienced any brake squeal. The car had 1,405 miles on it when I bought it last May and I have driven 4,895 since without any brake noise. Have you asked your dealer about the brakes? Also had a 2008 Cayman S and had the same experience. Brakes were as quite as a church mouse.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cremaley
I drive a 2011 Boxster Spyder with 6,300 miles on the odometer and have never experienced any brake squeal. The car had 1,405 miles on it when I bought it last May and I have driven 4,895 since without any brake noise. Have you asked your dealer about the brakes? Also had a 2008 Cayman S and had the same experience. Brakes were as quite as a church mouse.
Not yet. I mean even in the manual it says the brakes may make noise but I just thought this was a little excessive. I would like to hear from 2012+ boxster S owners though. I am sure the pads from yours to mine are different.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 AM
gedwin is on a distinguished road
2013 base with 14k miles, no brake squeal yet.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 PM
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough
08 Cayman S w/17k no brake squeaks.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
I wouldn't expect a squeak or squeal, though you can hear the brake pads rubbing against the rotors an just about any performance car. Probably a good idea to get the dealer to check it out if it continues....

Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 PM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
600 miles and no brake noise.
Maybe you should bed them?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
9 time Porsche 911 owner -- all of them had brake squeal . In fact the larger brake Turbo squealed even more .
1st Boxster S - Brake squeal until about 2K miles but I have no concerns if it returns .
1st Cayenne - No squeal .

Old 11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
DennisP will become famous soon enoughDennisP will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DFW911T
600 miles and no brake noise.
Maybe you should bed them?
NO!!! They scream louder when you do that!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Noah Fect is a jewel in the roughNoah Fect is a jewel in the roughNoah Fect is a jewel in the roughNoah Fect is a jewel in the rough
Like yrralis1, the brakes on my 981S (19" wheels, non-PCCB) squealed frequently during the first 2000 miles. I could make it go away temporarily by repeated hard braking from high speeds, but it would always come back. Eventually the squealing stopped altogether. Haven't heard it for about 4000 miles now.

Nature of the beast, in my experience. You want brakes that'll stop a freight train, they're going make some racket (and a LOT of dust).

Actually the dust production has gotten better, too, come to think of it.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Like yrralis1, the brakes on my 981S (19" wheels, non-PCCB) squealed frequently during the first 2000 miles. I could make it go away temporarily by repeated hard braking from high speeds, but it would always come back. Eventually the squealing stopped altogether. Haven't heard it for about 4000 miles now.

Nature of the beast, in my experience. You want brakes that'll stop a freight train, they're going make some racket (and a LOT of dust).

Actually the dust production has gotten better, too, come to think of it.
Yea I figured it was normal. I was just surprised that it was that loud. I don't think the brake dust is that bad though.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speedsterr
Yea I figured it was normal. I was just surprised that it was that loud. I don't think the brake dust is that bad though.
Squeals start on my car when I have too much brake dust. My weekly car wash, with a strong blast of water against the rotors/calipers, fixes the issue.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 AM
gedwin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Squeals start on my car when I have too much brake dust. My weekly car wash, with a strong blast of water against the rotors/calipers, fixes the issue.
I blast mine out with water every week too, so maybe that's why I'm not getting noise.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM
BR_
BR_ is on a distinguished road
'05 Boxster S with 47K. No squeaks.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:58 AM
Woodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the roughWoodster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by speedsterr
Brand new boxster S here and I know high performance cars have brake squeal at that last bit of slowing down at a light. My last performance car did this and when it happened on the rate occasion it was quiet. This car for 80 miles was silent now the brake squeal it had is SO LOUD. Sounds like my rotors are used up already lol.

Does anyone else experience this?
I had squealing and a rough feeling just before completely stopping on my prior 911 around 2000 miles. I watched this video and followed the bed-in procedures: 1 cycle of ten near stops, a cooling off period of about 5 minutes, then another cycle of ten near stops. The brakes were smooth after that and had no squeal. You do need to brake aggressively occasionally to keep them bedded, or just repeat the procedure if/when it starts happening frequently again.

http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c...ds/post/Bed-in

Good luck