Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S video review from a 911 guy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:19 AM
nmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud ofnmurray22 has much to be proud of
Video Cayman S video review from a 911 guy

Quick video review of the excellent 2014 Cayman S

Hope you enjoy

Nick

Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Another great review!

Good luck with your 991.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:42 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
I like these videos. More please!

Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Nice review. You really do well with these videos. Hope all works out the way it should with your 991S. Kudos to you for your patience and realizing one bad car does not a bad manufacturer make.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:55 AM
harold_callahan is on a distinguished road
He has an excellent 2 part review on his 911 (and issues). Check out his youtube channel.

-Callahan-

Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Nice review. You really do well with these videos. Hope all works out the way it should with your 991S. Kudos to you for your patience and realizing one bad car does not a bad manufacturer make.
Agreed. Thank again for sharing Nick and the best of luck.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Great review which I very much agree with.

Personally, I think reason #2 is the biggest driver in poor sales The "poor man's Porsche" syndrome certainly affects Boxster sales too but that sibling sells in much larger numbers since it offers the benefit (both perceived and real) of the option of putting the top down at a cheaper price. I'm really not sure why Porsche stubbornly continues to price the Cayman higher than the Boxster.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I'm really not sure why Porsche stubbornly continues to price the Cayman higher than the Boxster.

Horsepower doesn't come cheap at Porsche. With the Cayman, you're paying more money to get the extra 10 horsepower over the Boxster.

Just like you'll pay $17,800 for 30 additional horsepower in the Carrera S powerkit.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Scrambler8 is on a distinguished road
Very nice review and commentary. I don't disagree with the theory that the Cayman is perceived as a "poor man's 911." Like the reviewer, I think it's wrong. It is a different car and I like that. I have yet to read a bad review of the Cayman. I have driven the Cayman S several times and have one on order that is due for delivery in the middle of April.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by empunker
Horsepower doesn't come cheap at Porsche. With the Cayman, you're paying more money to get the extra 10 horsepower over the Boxster.

Just like you'll pay $17,800 for 30 additional horsepower in the Carrera S powerkit.
I'm not disagreeing with you but you get a lot more than just 30 hp in a 991S vs. 991 (a bigger engine, for example) for that price.

The Cayman and Boxster have the exact same drivetrain, suspension, etc. the "extra" 10bhp is ECU tuning which amounts to next to nothing for the manufacturer.

Moreover, Porsche sells plenty of Carrera and Carrera S 911s. So the pricing disparity there isn't necessarily a good corollary. Porsche sells a ton of Boxsters but almost no Cayman.

Just as when Porsche debuted their PDK gearbox and scoffed at the need for paddles (remember, those stupid buttons were supposedly superior) sometimes I think Porsche lets their own arrogance get in the way of good business sense. The Cayman simply can't cost more to manufacture than the Boxster. Lower the price several thousand dollars and I have to believe you're going to sell more product.

But that's just one man's opinion.

BTW - I love both the Boxster and Cayman models and if I were in the market for a true, two seat sports car I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. I'm lucky enough to live in S. CA where I could use the convertible almost every day but love, love, love the way the Cayman looks and appreciate the fact that it's a more focused (and much more rare) option.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 PM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
I'm not disagreeing with you but you get a lot more than just 30 hp in a 991S vs. 991 (a bigger engine, for example) for that price. The Cayman and Boxster have the exact same drivetrain, suspension, etc. the "extra" 10bhp is ECU tuning which amounts to next to nothing for the manufacturer. Moreover, Porsche sells plenty of Carrera and Carrera S 911s. So the pricing disparity there isn't necessarily a good corollary. Porsche sells a ton of Boxsters but almost no Cayman. Just as when Porsche debuted their PDK gearbox and scoffed at the need for paddles (remember, those stupid buttons were supposedly superior) sometimes I think Porsche lets their own arrogance get in the way of good business sense. The Cayman simply can't cost more to manufacture than the Boxster. Lower the price several thousand dollars and I have to believe you're going to sell more product. But that's just one man's opinion. BTW - I love both the Boxster and Cayman models and if I were in the market for a true, two seat sports car I'd have a hard time choosing between the two. I'm lucky enough to live in S. CA where I could use the convertible almost every day but love, love, love the way the Cayman looks and appreciate the fact that it's a more focused (and much more rare) option.
He is referring to an option for the 991s called power kit which adds 30hp to the 991s for the almost 18k. It doesn't come with anything but hp at the top of the rpm range.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:43 PM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nmurray22
Quick video review of the excellent 2014 Cayman S Hope you enjoy Nick Video Link: http://youtu.be/6yq1GoW7oyE
Great review! I have watched all of your vids and you do have a talent for them even if you can't talk and drive

Old 03-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by 11CayenneS
He is referring to an option for the 991s called power kit which adds 30hp to the 991s for the almost 18k. It doesn't come with anything but hp at the top of the rpm range.
My apologies, it would have helped me to read his whole statement. I misunderstood

Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM
My apologies, it would have helped me to read his whole statement. I misunderstood

No worries. Which ever way you look at it, Porsche likes to charge A LOT of money for their precious horsepower compared to most other manufacturers.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 AM
pondjumper will become famous soon enoughpondjumper will become famous soon enough
great review and spot on I think