Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definitive list of mods to track a Cayman S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 AM
drsrock is a jewel in the roughdrsrock is a jewel in the roughdrsrock is a jewel in the roughdrsrock is a jewel in the rough
Definitive list of mods to track a Cayman S

I have read all the threads, and posts about issues that Caymans S have when on track. Both my son and I drive the car, and it often means they are back to back run groups. I have been at it for 10 years, and he for one. Both of us drive very hard, but not jerky or abusive.

The car needs to be able to handle hard driving in hot weather on Hosier R6, or street slicks for an hour at a clip.

My question is what are the mods that I will need to have a trouble free track day.

Car options are wide open

Gen I stick or Tip, Gen II stick or PDK.

I know each year, has its own issues, so I will be interested to see what are the global, must do fixes, and what are particular quirks of that production year/style.

I do not want to have a car that will be a work in progress, and therefore need to decide which car/year is most trouble free(assuming I get a clean un abused one used) that will give me best track day experience.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Why not an R? For sure it's more track focused than the S. Unless of course you're trying to get one for far less money than an R, which are roughly $55 to $70+K these days.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Flybot has a spectacular aura aboutFlybot has a spectacular aura about
If you get a manual, the GT3 master cylinder swap is a must for easy heal toe. GT3 or RSS adjustable lower control arms are a must IMO. You will go through front tires way too quick without the mod because you cant dial in enough neg camber with the stock arms. Brake cooling mods, track pads, short shifter, harness/cage, underdrive pulley. It never ends really. There is no "definitive" list. But the master cylinder and LCA are the major ones Ive done to my Cayman R.

Last edited by Flybot; 09-18-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:47 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I would atleast get a 2009 or newer. The first generation models have the potential for oil starvation because it doesn't have a dry sump system.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:08 PM
JPS32 is on a distinguished road
I'm also curious about views on vintage and options for a Cayman track car beyond "buy the most recent you can afford" (not that it is bad advice). I have a 993 TTS and have concluded that I need to resist the temptation to track it. As a track car would be a second (well, third) car I'm more focused on affordable fun than a spare no expense monster.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:13 PM
RDykmans is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JPS32
I'm also curious about views on vintage and options for a Cayman track car beyond "buy the most recent you can afford" (not that it is bad advice). I have a 993 TTS and have concluded that I need to resist the temptation to track it. As a track car would be a second (well, third) car I'm more focused on affordable fun than a spare no expense monster.
I wouldn't get a car going up in value like those are anywhere near the track!