Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Size Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM
igdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud of
What Size Steering Wheel?

I have a 986 Boxster S for a track vehicle. What size aftermarket steering wheel will still allow me to see my instruments... Especially the tachometer? I was thinking of a Momo steering wheel.

Thanks,

Old 04-08-2015, 04:13 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
There is a guy on eBay that adds layers of padding and alcantara or leather for a reasonable cost. He sends you a wheel, you send back your core.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:15 AM
igdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud ofigdawgi has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S
There is a guy on eBay that adds layers of padding and alcantara or leather for a reasonable cost. He sends you a wheel, you send back your core.
Thanks.. But I'm trying to get the wheel size smaller. I need to know a size that'll allow me to still see my tachometer as I am tracking this Boxster.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:40 PM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
Why go for a smaller wheel? I see no advantage at all on a Porsche. I have a 987 Cayman S with a standard (triangular) wheel that I had upgraded by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel to thicker padding with grip upgrade. This made a big difference in comfort and input on the street and track. Total cost was ~$500 as I recall along with my old wheel (they do a swap). IMHO, anything smaller than stock will likely block gauges.....Porsche does not make the steering wheel much larger that is needed to see the gauges.

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/p...Rest_Front.jpg

Old 04-13-2015, 10:02 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by matt2ace
Why go for a smaller wheel? I see no advantage at all on a Porsche. I have a 987 Cayman S with a standard (triangular) wheel that I had upgraded by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel to thicker padding with grip upgrade. This made a big difference in comfort and input on the street and track. Total cost was ~$500 as I recall along with my old wheel (they do a swap). IMHO, anything smaller than stock will likely block gauges.....Porsche does not make the steering wheel much larger that is needed to see the gauges. http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/p...Rest_Front.jpg
do you have any pictures? I am strongly considering this.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:13 PM
I want to add a quick release so I can get in and out of the racing seat easier. Possibly a way to add the stick steering wheel with a quick release hub?

Old 04-14-2015, 06:02 AM
matt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to allmatt2ace is a name known to all
do you have any pictures? I am strongly considering this.
Before..........

After...........This is the extra thick padded wheel with the wheel centering marker. Fantastic workmanship, equivalent to factory or better. I like the feel the of thick padding on the track.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by igdawgi
I want to add a quick release so I can get in and out of the racing seat easier. Possibly a way to add the stick steering wheel with a quick release hub?
Have you looked at any track or race Porsches with quick release steering wheels? They don't go for smaller size steering wheels. If you want to go aftermarket with quick release, look for a similar size wheel to stock.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Rothsp...uctinfo/RS-QR/
http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=943
http://www.racinglab.com/nrg-steering-wheels.html

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM

Have you looked at any track or race Porsches with quick release steering wheels? They don't go for smaller size steering wheels. If you want to go aftermarket with quick release, look for a similar size wheel to stock.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Rothsp...uctinfo/RS-QR/
http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=943
http://www.racinglab.com/nrg-steering-wheels.html
Got it.. What size is the stock wheel for 2002 boxster s? U think i could google it but also may get various answers other than measuring myself

Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 PM
Before.......... After...........This is the extra thick padded wheel with the wheel centering marker. Fantastic workmanship, equivalent to factory or better. I like the feel the of thick padding on the track.
very nice. Yellow stripe at top is a nice touch. I think I'll do it. How hard to pull your wheel off and replace with rebuilt?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:08 PM
very nice. Yellow stripe at top is a nice touch. I think I'll do it. How hard to pull your wheel off and replace with rebuilt?
It is not a difficult process. Check out the link below, there is a pdf file with the how-to. The process is the same for triangular or round center wheels.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...out-there.html

Old 04-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by igdawgi
Got it.. What size is the stock wheel for 2002 boxster s? U think i could google it but also may get various answers other than measuring myself
If you check out the links from my previous response, you will see that the aftermarket wheels for Porsches all seem to call in the 320-350mm range. You can always contact the vendor to talk with them about size. You can take a measurement of your Boxster wheel as reference.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
We have a great assortment of steering wheels here. Many are practical so you can still see your cluster.

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 PM
wdonovan is infamous around these parts
13" (330mm) aftermarket wheel with hub to move wheel about 1-1/2 closer to driver. This makes heel and toe easier because my legs are not so cramped like with the factory wheel. Car is 07 Cayman S and driver is 5'8" and factory seat at lowest position. Phone camera lens at eye position.

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by wdonovan
13" (330mm) aftermarket wheel with hub to move wheel about 1-1/2 closer to driver. This makes heel and toe easier because my legs are not so cramped like with the factory wheel. Car is 07 Cayman S and driver is 5'8" and factory seat at lowest position. Phone camera lens at eye position.

What type of quick release hub did you get? Thanks.. I'll look at the 330mm wheels... I'm 5'6 starting to work on heal and toe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Size Steering Wheel?