Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 10-year-old Cayman S... Is it a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiThunder is on a distinguished road
Completely agree with previous replies-

These cars ARE built to last! They don't need to babied and pampered. It all goes back to Porsche's racing pedigree, these cars are meant to take a beating. The IMS is by far the only real thing to look out for, I've had 2 IMS horror stories, one on a 996 C2 coupe that I ended up scrapping (high miles, and I saw it coming, partly myself to blame lol), and my 2006 Cayman S.

Call me sick but I was actually fine with the Cayman going. I still have the car, tore the motor out and am waiting for a little downtime where I can do the Renegade Hybrids LSX conversion. It's always been my dream to have a killer 400+ horse american V8 in an iconic P-car.

I've learned from my IMS endeavors and did an LN Engineering IMS retrofit on my 997 C2S amongst a bunch of other fun modifications.

Regardless, I've seen base 996's hit 200k miles (no joke) on the original motor with no problems. A good bit of info I can share from a longtime Porsche technician/junkie, the IMS issue tends to show mainly between 35k miles to 70k miles.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 PM
blairb is an unknown quantity at this point
I say do it! I just purchased my first p-car two weeks ago.

07 Cayman Base with 66k miles- Atlas Grey, 5-speed, bi-xenon and 18" Cayman S wheels. It was slightly higher mileage than I was looking for, but for a hair above $16k on a clean single-owner car that has been to a Porsche dealer for every single service it was just too hard to say no.

Keep an eye out, there are some great deals out there!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM
newold_m is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by blairb
I say do it! I just purchased my first p-car two weeks ago.

07 Cayman Base with 66k miles- Atlas Grey, 5-speed, bi-xenon and 18" Cayman S wheels. It was slightly higher mileage than I was looking for, but for a hair above $16k on a clean single-owner car that has been to a Porsche dealer for every single service it was just too hard to say no.

Keep an eye out, there are some great deals out there!
That's just like my car but with 12k less miles. Have had mine for 5 months now and loving it! These cars are meant to be driven indeed.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:09 PM
PNug is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AudiThunder
Completely agree with previous replies-

These cars ARE built to last! They don't need to babied and pampered. It all goes back to Porsche's racing pedigree, these cars are meant to take a beating. The IMS is by far the only real thing to look out for, I've had 2 IMS horror stories, one on a 996 C2 coupe that I ended up scrapping (high miles, and I saw it coming, partly myself to blame lol), and my 2006 Cayman S.

Call me sick but I was actually fine with the Cayman going. I still have the car, tore the motor out and am waiting for a little downtime where I can do the Renegade Hybrids LSX conversion. It's always been my dream to have a killer 400+ horse american V8 in an iconic P-car.

I've learned from my IMS endeavors and did an LN Engineering IMS retrofit on my 997 C2S amongst a bunch of other fun modifications.

Regardless, I've seen base 996's hit 200k miles (no joke) on the original motor with no problems. A good bit of info I can share from a longtime Porsche technician/junkie, the IMS issue tends to show mainly between 35k miles to 70k miles.
Do you have photos of the IMS and the case from your Cayman after it was torn down that you can post? I have yet to see an actual documented Cayman 987.1 with IMS failure, not saying that it hasn't happened. I've only read a few internet stories of them that then just fade away when they actually have their engines pulled apart. But, you actually sound like someone that could have one go on them. I've also heard stories of early Caymans possibly having the old 2006 Boxsters engines which don't have the updated seal IMS in them. So, please post photos if you have them.

I would have to disagree with your statement that is the only thing you need to worry about. The oil starvation, rod bolts stretching, AOS, steering pump overheating and water pump are the real issues but mainly if you are tracking the car except for the water pump. With the number of 987.1 Caymans that are out there and what I've mentioned above about how many actual failures documented or not. It's more like a 1 a 500 deal, if that.

I've owned my 07's since day one and it is an awesome way to get from point A to point B the long way around. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Bricktop is an unknown quantity at this point
Updates?

I'd like to propose the same question now two years later. Looking at 10 year old Cayman with 30K budget. Lots of nice 2008s out there, but the 9A1 will be 10 this fall. Also, I see DJTomy has the Stage III Cayman listed now still at 15K miles. Nice show piece for someone there.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 AM
djtomy is on a distinguished road
Thank you, I do appreciate the kind words. I love my CS and will probably keep it forever. I do have it for sale, but only because their tearing up the road in front of my house for the next 2 years! (8 miles) I do drive it, and start it every couple of weeks. Even if it’s only down my driveway. On mine, It’s not a bad choice for the price and performance that will rival a GT2 and GT3 for under 50k.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:13 PM
syswizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaandrew
Besides IMS, any other things to look for in a Boxster or Cayman?
The IMS bearing failure issue is like a disaster-waiting-to-happen.
That's why I "passed" on all Boxsters prior to 2013.
It's amazing that Porsche was able to keep this quiet for so long.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:45 PM
shadow993 is on a distinguished road
I've owned my 96' 911 for 8 years, my 07 997TT for 4.5 years, and now an 01 Boxster S (IMS upgraded)

I would go with a properly maintained car with reasonable miles. When I bought my 07 it had 8k miles, my 96' had 28k, and my 01 had 56k. My point is don't be afraid of a car that wasn't driven.

Enjoy the car , do your own maintenance, and track it when you can. You will enjoy the car more, and cuss the over engineered structure. Like removing 3 parts to access something, that on any other car would have a snap panel..

I use all of my saved service money to do upgrades and cool tools. The cars aren't that complicated to work on...they just require patience.

Last edited by shadow993; 06-25-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by syswizard
The IMS bearing failure issue is like a disaster-waiting-to-happen.
That's why I "passed" on all Boxsters prior to 2013.
It's amazing that Porsche was able to keep this quiet for so long.
Id like to see the documentation on the IMS bearing that you had fail in a 06+CS. Its my understanding that is less than 1% on tracked vehicles sustaining 6.5K+ RPM's.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:02 AM
syswizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by djtomy
Its my understanding that is less than 1% on tracked vehicles sustaining 6.5K+ RPM's.
My dealings with PNA has produced evidence that Porsche is not all that transparent about design flaws.

Another huge flaw shows up in the 981 series with the PDK....as they did not integrate the TCU into the console so that PDK fluid levels (Pentosin and Differential Gear lube) levels could be monitored. That was really bad IMHO.

I doubt anyone but the executives at Porsche have the true failure rate figures.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by syswizard
My dealings with PNA has produced evidence that Porsche is not all that transparent about design flaws.

Another huge flaw shows up in the 981 series with the PDK....as they did not integrate the TCU into the console so that PDK fluid levels (Pentosin and Differential Gear lube) levels could be monitored. That was really bad IMHO.

I doubt anyone but the executives at Porsche have the true failure rate figures.
Yes agreed on early Boxsters, don't pull 987's into this propaganda without evidence....

Last edited by djtomy; 10-04-2018 at 10:58 AM.