Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cayman engine swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Liah is an unknown quantity at this point
cayman engine swap

looking for a local turning shop who can do an engine swap on an 07 base cayman. I'm looking for a turbo 911 beast.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Liah
looking for a local turning shop who can do an engine swap on an 07 base cayman. I'm looking for a turbo 911 beast.
While just about any engine can be swapped into just about any car putting a 911 Turbo engine into a Cayman is a considerable undertaking, in humble opinion.

Based on my limited experience with my 2008 Cayman S and my 15 years of living with a Boxster shoehorning a 996 Turbo engine into a Cayman would be quite a feat.

The 996 Turbo engine -- I also own a 996 Turbo and while its engine has not been out of the car I have seen a few Turbo engines removed -- and it is a huge engine what with its very large/intricate intake system with the very critical intercoolers and its large and intricate exhaust system. The engine is rather tall with not a whole lot of clearance under the engine compartment lid.

The intercoolers are critical in removing heat from the incoming intake air with IIRC Porsche claiming these reduce the intake air temperatures by 50C.

The intercoolers are routed air courtesy of the side air intakes which rely upon aerodynamics alone -- no fans -- for their supply of air.

While duplicating the side intakes for the intercoolers I think probably out of the question one could after some fashion duplicate the intercooler system used with the new 718 Cayman/Boxster which uses a fluid cooling system. Perhaps -- just thinking out loud -- the intercooler fluid radiators could be mounted ahead of the A/C condenser. The fluid lines run along side the coolant lines that serve the radiators.

Of course you are free to search out someone who's done this and then have that to go on.

If you want to go extreme, and I consider putting a Turbo engine in a Cayman extreme, there is the GM V8 engine swap option. The OHV V8 engine is rather compact and its all aluminum construction keeps the weight down. I would hazard a guess the V8 engine weighs in pretty close to the Cayman S engine and probably weighs in *under* the Turbo engine if one includes its intake/intercoolers and turbos and exhaust system.

Some few people have done the V8 swap so you would have that going for you. Oh, and there is a company -- in Las Vegas, NV -- that offers some of the hardware necessary for this swap.

Here's a link:

http://www.renegadehybrids.com

Old 07-13-2017, 07:30 AM
mcomet is on a distinguished road
BGB Motorsports down in Florida does engine swaps...mostly to other NA engines...you might want to talk with them tho...
http://www.teambgb.com/

Old 07-13-2017, 06:05 PM
mrandell is an unknown quantity at this point
You'd think an EJ25 would be the logical choice. Most modified engine on the planet. Could get a 2.8L at 550HP on pump gas. Would that be enough?

Old 08-07-2017, 12:15 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Agree that TT swap is-- well, it's out of the question unless you want to ruin the car in the process. V8 swaps are interesting but be careful. As far as I know Renegade has yet to do an actual finished customer swap. If you check the P car websites you might learn lots more about this. These cars are so complex that the mechanicals are the easy part of the job. It's also very important to consider whatever emissions testing is required and what will happen down the line when you eventually part with the car.

I do think the Aluminum Chevy V8 or the Audi have wonderful swap potential, sound great.. but have yet to see anything I could come close to registering legally in California. A shame.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by john rice
Agree that TT swap is-- well, it's out of the question unless you want to ruin the car in the process. V8 swaps are interesting but be careful. As far as I know Renegade has yet to do an actual finished customer swap. If you check the P car websites you might learn lots more about this. These cars are so complex that the mechanicals are the easy part of the job. It's also very important to consider whatever emissions testing is required and what will happen down the line when you eventually part with the car.

I do think the Aluminum Chevy V8 or the Audi have wonderful swap potential, sound great.. but have yet to see anything I could come close to registering legally in California. A shame.
Before I would do this I'd have to see one on the street.

My engine swap standards are pretty high. Years ago some auto mechanic buddies of mine were engine swap wizards. 'course, it was different then the ignition and fueling was pretty simple. No engine controllers to deal with.

Even so I don't want to diminish what they did. They impressed me in that the wiring and fueling and air filtration systems and exhaust and running gear were "factory". The engine swaps were very clean and neat and reliable. Fuel lines were properly routed and secure. Engine wiring harnesses ditto.

And the cars ran like scalded cats. Big block Chevy engines ("crate motrs") into Camaros, Firebirds, even a '69 Corvette. Often times the engines were gone through and the factory HP numbers improved upon before the engine was installed.

More recently, well, a few years ago now, I came upon a guy (down at Santana Row in San Jose, CA) with a Saturn Sky with a Chevy LS2 V8 installed. The installation was done by Mallet Cars.

The installation was gorgeous. Very professional. Very "factory". So much so the car was warrantied by GM and the cars could be serviced at GM dealers. I was so impressed I considered getting a car and having the work done but the cost was quite high. IIRC I was looking at darn near $40K all in (car and then the engine swap). $40K is getting close to what I paid for my new 2002 Boxster.

Anyhow, before I'd go with a V8 into a modern Porsche I'd have to see firsthand what a swap looks like.