Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS failure / low goodwill assistance offered from Porsche

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:39 PM
EileenRog is an unknown quantity at this point
IMS failure / low goodwill assistance offered from Porsche

I have a 2004 Boxster S with 48k miles that has been recently diagnosed with an IMS bolt failure by my local Porsche dealership. As the original owner and having had it maintained by a dealership, the service manager suggested I contact Porsche North America and submit a claim for Goodwill Assistance recognizing the Class Action Settlement a few years back.

Porsche reviewed my claim and is offering $5000, the cost of the engine block. The estimated repair cost is over $20k.

Has anyone submitted a similar claim and received higher/better assistance? So painful to have to pay more than the car is worth to have it repaired.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Very very sorry to hear. As much as I love pre-DFI Porsches, this issue always makes me think twice about owning another one. Do you think the $5k is negotiable? Meeting you half way would be ideal I guess. Maybe time for some legal help.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:46 AM
PNug is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your lost. Pre 07 Boxsters need to be driven more and the IMS should have be upgraded much earlier if you're weren't going to be driving it regularly. If you're the original owner you will have more sway with Porsche but the value of the car is below the cost of a full rebuilt engine. Might be able to find a used one for about half the cost of rebuilding yours. Good luck.

Last edited by PNug; 09-20-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:13 AM
BierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the roughBierGut is a jewel in the rough
So sorry to hear...

Going on the assumption you won't spend $20,000 plus for a new engine from Porsche and that you "might" consider buying a used engine to swap that would perhaps cost you you $10,000 -- I would make as much noise and argue as much as I could with Porsche to get them to give you something like $10 to 12k toward their engine solution... frankly, you don't have anything to lose. If they don't budge - you can always explore used engine options, etc...

I had a turbo blow on a 996T a number of years back and the dealer quoted a stupid number of $11,000 to repair. I ended up sourcing two new turbos for hundreds, not thousands, at the time from a parts company and had the repair completed for a couple of grand. The only thing I didn't get was the Porsche part guarantee going forward... big deal as the supply vendor offered one anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:30 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I would call them and speak to the one who approved the $5K and acknowledge their contribution of $5K towards the repair. I would consider that a starting point in the negotiation and try to get them to contribute 50% of the repair cost, assuming you plan on having the dealership replace the motor. I am sure you already did, but stress you are the original owner, dealer maintained, loyal customer, etc. Good luck and best wishes.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Jon Wicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Eileenrog, Sorry to hear about your engine. I found this engine on craigslist here in the Seattle area. I think the engine is actually in Kent about 30 minutes south of Seattle. The price seems very fair for a used 3.2.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/p...315383195.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.