Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster, Boxster S, and Cayman discussion board.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Theoretically could this Cayman lease/build be possible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Jon Wicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Theoretically could this Cayman lease/build be possible?

Currently Porsche Financial has a lease special in my area. It is for a 2017 Base Cayman with a MSRP of $67,690. $6,599 down and $599 a month. I was just wondering what your thoughts are about this idea.

A build slot for a 2017 or 2018 718 Cayman (i know the special is for a 2017) but if I could get the dealer to do it for a 2018 build slot.

Theoretically does this math and method make any sense? Of course with approved excellent credit Tier 1. I never put a down payment on a lease, so normally what I do is subtract the "total due at signing" from the MSRP if I want to keep the payment the same. Then I build the car with the options I actually want within this price. This is approx.

$67,690 - $6,599 "Total Cap Cost Reduction" = $61,001. So now If that was my total budget with no discount. Essentially no money down, and three options,

2018 Base Cayman
-white-std paint $0
-18" boxster wheels- $400
-std interior black- $0
-2 way sport seats- $0
-PASM- $1,790
-SPORT CHRONO- $2,090

Total Price for equipment $4280
Base Price $55,300
D/H/P fees $1,050
TOTAL PRICE $60,630

Please tell me where my thinking is flawed here.
If I could get any discount I would try to add PSE and PTV in that order depending on the discount.

Ok flame suit on.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by Jon Wicks; 09-09-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Dealers have new 2017s for $10k under MSRP right now. You might get more for that money if you look for it.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:20 AM
Thank you for replying. I appreciate it very much. Your car is a masterpiece, I admire it very much. I'm not certain but 10K off a base Cayman just does not seem possible in my area. Also the cars on the lots are all specd wrong. Too much luxury options and not enough performance experience options. Some of the cars on the lot have 10K in options that are all the wrong ones. If I ordered a base cayman with Sport Chrono, PASM, PSE, PTV, those would all be much better than luxury improvements. I like 18" wheels, they do not increase the unsprung weight and it seems like some of the people who track their cars (I dont) prefer 18s with the 996 and 987. For me the base luxury options are all more than good enough and anything more just adds weight. Honestly, I think this would be a wonderful car for the money, lease or buy.

When I read the classifieds for preowned P-Cars, the abbreviations I always seem to be scanning for is Sport Chrono, PASM, PSE, PTV and PCCBs. I don't seem to look for power memory seats, or folding mirrors, bose audio, or $3K wheels. I didn't use the stereo in my 911 because I just wanted to hear the engine and exhaust. In all the Porsche Magazines the bread and butter of aftermarket parts are all performance. You don't really see anyone selling 18 way power memory seats in Panorama or Speil. You do see, engineering solutions, performance intakes, exhaust, suspensions and differentials. For me it would be better to have all these upgrades completed by Porsche in the factory as it is built.

So if you think about it, 60K for a new Cayman with no down, $599 month, Sport Chrono, PASM, or PASM, PTV, or just PCCBs with the right discount. Tremendous value and a more desirable car than any base Cayman on the lot.

Last edited by Jon Wicks; 09-10-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: not complete
Old 09-10-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that Porsche of Bellevue, (where I want to buy and service), will not give me 10K off. But if I could get 7% off of MSRP on a Cayman Base Build that would be a good deal for me.

Take into consideration the Lease Special's $599 monthly payment is close to what it would cost to lease a far less vehicle from any other brand. It requires that the vehicle MSRP be $67,690, with $6,599 down. It is always a terrible idea to put any money down on a lease. So lets just say a 7% discount off of a MSRP of $72,680 is $5,087. This would bring the total price down into the Lease Special MSRP with a negotiated price of $67,593 and this is the build:

PJY138R5
718 Base Cayman, 6spd, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PCCBs, PSE, PS+, Extended Range Fuel Tank.

Base Price 718 Cayman $55,300

Price for Equipment $16,330

Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee $1,050

Total Price* $72,680

Equipment

Exterior Color: White 0Q $0
Interior Color:
Standard Interior in Black AG $0

Performance Manual Transmission 480 $0

Power Steering Plus 658 $280
Porsche Active Suspension Management
(PASM) 475 $1,790
Porsche Torque Vectoring
(PTV) 220 $1,320
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake
(PCCB) 450 $7,410
Sport Chrono Package
QR5 $2,090
Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Silver
Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
XLF $2,900
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 16.9 gal
085 $140

Wheels 18" Boxster Wheels
395 $400

Sport Seats (2-way)
P08 $0

Total MSRP Price* $72,680

7% Discount -$5087

Adjusted price with discount $67,593

Lease Special MSRP $67,690
subtract down payment $6,599
balance $61,091

So essentially with ZERO down and $599 a month for 24 months I'd be leasing this build.

718 Cayman Base Lease Special
ZERO down, $599 month, 24 months, 15K miles per year
Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Active Suspension Management, Sport Chrono, Torque Vectoring, Sport Exhaust (bimodal), Power Steering Plus, Extended Range Fuel Tank.

Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes (PCCB)
Sport Chrono
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE)
Porsche Power Steering Plus
Extended Range Fuel Tank,

This couldn't be possible right. What am I getting wrong here.

Last edited by Jon Wicks; 09-10-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
See if they'll go for it. My guess why my dealer has some '17s priced at $10k off MSRP is that either Porsche has given them special pricing adjustments for '17s, or they just want them gone.

I've owned 2 modern Porsches without Bose and the sound quality is terrible if that's important to you. Obviously your setup is very performance oriented which is a good thing. I've only seen a few base model 987s/981s with PCCB. Always cool to see.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Too bad Porsche has removed the X73 suspension option for the 718. It's world's better than PASM. Cost a little more but with it you received a perfect setup including beefier ARBs, 20mm lower than stock, and stiffer yet compliant damping. That's why it was standard on the GT4 and Spyder. In fact, you couldn't change it.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:18 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Steve offers some good advice.

Sort of kind of looking myself and I'm seeing some softening in prices in the range Steve mentioned.

The SOP is when the new MY's arrive at the dealers the previous MY models drop in price and in fact the factory will rebate some percentage of what the dealer paid for the car. Additional financial incentives might also be forthcoming, like something to help cover the flooring costs, etc, the dealer has spent out of pocket flooring the unsold new cars.

Not all dealers advertise any discount on last year's models but some do. I see this in my area which has 6 or 7 dealers in a 50/60 mile radius. Those that don't expect a buyer to come in and pay full MSRP for "last year's model" and the dealer then pockets the money it has received from the factory.

I recall back in April of 2009 there were still some left over 2008 Cayman (and Boxster and even 911) models around and dealers were offering $12K off of sticker on these left over but otherwise new cars. I bought a brand new 2008 Cayman S that stickered at $62.6K for $50.6K and even got a better than average trade in allowance on my 2006 Pontiac GTO.

Don't necessarily think this fall of 2017 and early 2018 will play out exatly like the fall of 2008 and early 2009 did but there are signs of some weakening in prices for the last year's (2017) models. I would use this to get a better deal either for a new 2017 or even a 2018 model.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Thank you both for your advise. I'm not in any rush and the longer I wait the better. I'm sure there will be lease specials a couple times a year. Better save up my money! Oh yeah I forgot to mention I totaled my 996 and now we are down to one car our 987 CS. It is tough with only one car, but not too bad because I'm medically retired so we can get by with one. This new Cayman would be our second car and would be replacing my 996 that I accidently killed (RIP Otto). I've never bought a new porsche only used ones and it would be nice to have one under warranty with all those specific options. Thanks guys.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:00 PM
A discounted car is always better! You can get a lot of Porsche for $60K if you look hard enough. There's new '17 Cayman base at my dealer for $62k. But spec'd more toward convenience than performance. Your build would be very unique.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jon Wicks
Thank you both for your advise. I'm not in any rush and the longer I wait the better. I'm sure there will be lease specials a couple times a year. Better save up my money! Oh yeah I forgot to mention I totaled my 996 and now we are down to one car our 987 CS. It is tough with only one car, but not too bad because I'm medically retired so we can get by with one. This new Cayman would be our second car and would be replacing my 996 that I accidently killed (RIP Otto). I've never bought a new porsche only used ones and it would be nice to have one under warranty with all those specific options. Thanks guys.
You can wait too long. When dealers/Porsche start discounting cars that are left over from the previous model year the cars don't last long.

Four weeks after I bought that new 2008 Cayman S in April 2009 the car was hit and totaled. By the time the other driver's insurance company settled up and I had the check in my hands and then the proceeds from selling the Cayman at a salvage car auction all the left over discounted Caymans were gone.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:52 AM
Thank You Macster! I really would like to make this happen now, but unfortunately will have to let these deals just go. Important talk with the wife, end result "wait to replace" our second car. Hopefully after reading this thread someone will go take advantage of these deals. Steve and Macster I want to thank you for sharing this information and taking the time to reply.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Going to wait for about 12 months and pay off our debts. Then come back at this with a large down payment and buy instead of lease. Went and test drove a 981 Black Edition and the sound of the PSE was so much better than one on the 718. It would be a life long goal and dream come true to buy and order any Porsche new from the factory the exact way I would want it. You know when you go in the dealership and they have the vehicle covered and unveil it for the customer for the first time. I want to experience that at least once in my life. I want one so badly but just can't do it right now. Till then I'll keep reading and researching on this site. Thank You!

Old 09-25-2017, 05:29 PM
john5251 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jon Wicks
I'm pretty sure that Porsche of Bellevue, (where I want to buy and service), will not give me 10K off. But if I could get 7% off of MSRP on a Cayman Base Build that would be a good deal for me.

Take into consideration the Lease Special's $599 monthly payment is close to what it would cost to lease a far less vehicle from any other brand. It requires that the vehicle MSRP be $67,690, with $6,599 down. It is always a terrible idea to put any money down on a lease. So lets just say a 7% discount off of a MSRP of $72,680 is $5,087. This would bring the total price down into the Lease Special MSRP with a negotiated price of $67,593 and this is the build:

PJY138R5
718 Base Cayman, 6spd, Sport Chrono, PASM, PTV, PCCBs, PSE, PS+, Extended Range Fuel Tank.

Base Price 718 Cayman $55,300

Price for Equipment $16,330

Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee $1,050

Total Price* $72,680

Adjusted price with discount $67,593

Lease Special MSRP $67,690
subtract down payment $6,599
balance $61,091

So essentially with ZERO down and $599 a month for 24 months I'd be leasing this build.

This couldn't be possible right. What am I getting wrong here.
How do you get to subtract the down payment? Dealers will give you a 7% discount 73k down to 67 AND knock the down payment to $0?

If that was the case I'd do that tomorrow. The dealer I visited said it would cost be 5k to order a custom 718 for lease.

They also had 1 on the lot that didn't appear to be discounted as he said Porsche wasn't giving any discounts.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:12 PM
john5251 is an unknown quantity at this point
Bump...Anyone care to talk about their lease deals?

I mentioned the lease special (599/24m) to the dealership and they still didn't come close to it - all things being equal.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Hello John, You are right my math is really screwed up. Insomnia, I had been up for a few days when I tried building and calculating that. It doesn't make sense now that I look at it. The lease special for 599/24 is with 7K down on 2017s on the lot. I think at it is what is being offered in Seattle. I'm a moron.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.