View Poll Results: Will you import a car from the US?
I will definitely import
49.15%
I might import
20.34%
Absoloutely not
5.08%
I have done it before and will do it again
23.73%
I have done it before but will not do it again
3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Canadians, will you buy from the US?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 PM
focusedmindset is a name known to allfocusedmindset is a name known to allfocusedmindset is a name known to allfocusedmindset is a name known to allfocusedmindset is a name known to allfocusedmindset is a name known to all
Canadians, will you buy from the US?

There are often considerable savings to be had by importing a car from the states into Canada.
However, if it is a new car then some car companies will not honour the US warranty. Some US dealers won't even sell you a new car if you are a Canadian planning to export to Canada.

For an extreme example of the cost savings, consider the Mercedes SL65 AMG. If you use today's dollar (1.06 US), you would pay $175,611 CAD to buy one in the states at their MSRP of $187k USD. Compare that to the $248k CAD price here and you have savings of over $72k!!!
Although there is I believe a 6% duty and some fees (plus taxes though you would be paying those if you bought in Canada anyways), you are still saving crazy amounts of money! I would gladly drive to Buffalo for warranty work for that kind of savings!

It doesn't seem like there are huge modifications necessary (http://www.riv.ca/english/html/mod_i...uirements.html)
the biggest thing may be DRL's (but something like a Porsche with the sport chrono pack has the ability to set that with no hassles, correct?).

So would you or have you imported from the states? What are your thoughts on importing?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:06 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
Personally, I really don't have the time to do such things so I would not do it. By saving $20,000 it would cause me time, and time is money. And cars such as the SL65 is nearly impossible to import to Canada. With cars such as Porsches, with Porsche's Canadian pricing adjustment its just not worth the troubles anymore. The only time I would consider importing would be when I am extremely interested in a particular car that could not be found in Canada.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
It's worth it for used cars. No warranty/dealer hassle, and decent savings.
If I look at S2000s, I can get a 2003 low mileage under 20k easily ... up here, good lukc finding one not crashed and under 60kmiles for 30 grand. And there are 10x more to choose from in the US.
Will import, definitely.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:41 AM
ol'school is on a distinguished road
If something good comes along,why not.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Petko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to all
Used cars, yes.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:42 PM
west coast is on a distinguished road
Just did this during the summer, and it was really easy if you follow the guideline from the Registrar of imported vehicles, it's online.The headlights are not a big issue a local shop did it for me for $80 and the inspections were a non issue, the car was registered licenced and on the road within 5 days.easy!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:46 PM
H20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud ofH20SKIER has much to be proud of
I've heard you can't import US new cars into canada but with your dollar where it is used cars down here i've heard a 1/3 lower than the canada cars. importing seems to make sense.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
Can it be done >>>YES!!!!!! should it be done.... PROBS not a great idea.. Ever since the cdn vs us parralled.. IT has been a nightmare for my dealership. And has had a terrible impact on our economy. Im the GM @ my dealership and have felt a serious blow as have so many other business owners here in Canada... no one seems to want to buy anything coz they save soooo much down there.... I understand the savings are down there...
but, if this continues, no one will make any money here to buy anything else down there.!!!
SO..
USA!!!!!!! get your economy back IN PLACE and get your dollar back up....or else IM GONNA SINK!!!!!!!! along with many more coz these canadians are not understanding that if yu dont spend the money here .... WE ALL LOSE in the long run.....

Old 11-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Petko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to allPetko is a name known to all
And the Americans are complaining about their weak dollar! Surely not the US business owners!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:17 PM
lager99 is on a distinguished road
I think you can wait it out. Ford dealers are matching prices now & so is Calgary Bentley. I haven't checked the Bentley dealer yet, but heard them advertise it on the radio.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Joeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DMaffo
Can it be done >>>YES!!!!!! should it be done.... PROBS not a great idea.. Ever since the cdn vs us parralled.. IT has been a nightmare for my dealership. And has had a terrible impact on our economy. Im the GM @ my dealership and have felt a serious blow as have so many other business owners here in Canada... no one seems to want to buy anything coz they save soooo much down there.... I understand the savings are down there...
but, if this continues, no one will make any money here to buy anything else down there.!!!
SO..
USA!!!!!!! get your economy back IN PLACE and get your dollar back up....or else IM GONNA SINK!!!!!!!! along with many more coz these canadians are not understanding that if yu dont spend the money here .... WE ALL LOSE in the long run.....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but its Canadian divisions that need to do something. Not someone making 30k a year that wants to save 25% of his yearly income on a honda accord. In the long run? Yeah I'm sure you sell cars in Toronto to push our economy higher, thanks for that.
Be realistic -
Companys have to make a move, Porsche started, Nissan & MB too. A little bit more, then I will be willing to shop Canadian again. I would be willing to pay an extra, say 5%, maybe even 8%. But the way things are now, theres no way I will be any Canadian vehicle.
And if you think I, or anyone else that does it hurts our economy, think again. I get my car leased through a third party, based in Canada.

I have an Electronics outlet, most of my merchandise comes from the USA, always has. Now that the dollar is so strong, trust me that my clients profit from it. They buy a TV or a DVD player for the same price they would pay in the States. And if I were to charge them more it would only be the 6% duty.

Tell me again how we're hurting the country in the long run? I think they companys take Canada's 30million or so population as a joke, so they don't really care what happens to us. I for one won't get screwed.

As for warranty work, my US Porsche Cayenne got everything except a loaner (bitter dealerships). My Cadillac got everything too (except 50$ oil changes). Tip your service advisor and there shall be no problem at all.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM
GewoW is on a distinguished road
would an american porsche dealer allow you to spec out a car, and have them order it...or are you just able to buy one that is "in stock"?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
west coast is on a distinguished road
Hi, Ameican dealers will not let you buy a new car(Porsche), I was told they are not allowed to, used is OK and there are some good deals to be had if you look around.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Cody D is on a distinguished road
It just seems weird for a business to turn down a purchase.

"Hi, I'd like to buy that $80,000.00 car on your lot."
"I can't sell to you because you are Canadian."

Now replace Canadian with some other type of person... "I can't sell to you because you are Mexican." Can you imagine?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Joeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the rough
^ Great point.

Bastards are PIIOB's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Canadians, will you buy from the US?