Canadian Real Estate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 AM
flyinggonzo is on a distinguished road
The price of my house went up 100k year over year (based on diff between my purchase price and the bank's appraised value), so market hasn't slowed down (yet).

Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 PM
1 PGH 1 is on a distinguished road
Look at cottage prices on one of the bigger lakes anywhere in Muskoka - for a "w/end" place .... ouch!! With a poor stock market people may keep moving their money into real estate.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM
silver_6r is on a distinguished road
hmmm... well i am just starting out in the RE business as a realtor...BUT...from everything i have seen and heard... my best guess in the lower mainland is max of 8% loss for high end homes ($1mill plus). i highly doubt that our market will be corrected any time soon, definitely not before the olympics.

the market has slowed some what...with the huge bidding wars of last summer not really materializing as much. you can get most properties at asking price or better.

real estate will always be the way to go... land is always worth $$$$ and there is only so much to go around!

the big ticket now from what i have learned is agriculteral land for its latent potential...but i dont think this is anything new...just new to me...and its seems to be a really good buy in washington, oregon states. with rumors of a 30% return!!

but my guess is as good as the rest....

Old 03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Edgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura aboutEdgemontvillage has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by silver_6r
hmmm... well i am just starting out in the RE business as a realtor...BUT...from everything i have seen and heard... my best guess in the lower mainland is max of 8% loss for high end homes ($1mill plus). i highly doubt that our market will be corrected any time soon, definitely not before the olympics.

the market has slowed some what...with the huge bidding wars of last summer not really materializing as much. you can get most properties at asking price or better.

real estate will always be the way to go... land is always worth $$$$ and there is only so much to go around!

the big ticket now from what i have learned is agriculteral land for its latent potential...but i dont think this is anything new...just new to me...and its seems to be a really good buy in washington, oregon states. with rumors of a 30% return!!

but my guess is as good as the rest....
Silver 6r: Best of luck in your new career!

Old 03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
thanks.... kinda scary switching over like that... but i am giving myself a 3month transistion period with my current job...

Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
silver_6r>
From what profession did you switch to become a RE agent? What's your outlook on the Cdn mkt? Vcr still the hottest?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
engineering!!

to be honest... i am just starting to take all the info in with respect to current markets... i have only been looking at my local market for the moment.

but i do believe that there are other parts of Canada that are good places, Calgary is one of them. if major cities are not your thing, kelowna is a great place in the BC interior,a short 2 hour drive from Vancouver... lots of development, major expansion, and lots of vinyards... kind of like the Napa of the north!!

sorry i cant be of more help.. but i wouldnt want to give out false info!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
I can't see the market dropping here. I wish it would but I can't see it happening. I see TO continueing the trend and will slowly catch up to NY city's out rages prices.
Honestly don't know how a 2 salaried family makeing 55k a year can ever buy a house in todays market. I guess thats why we now have a 40 year mortgage option.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 AM
in Vancouver they say the "average" family will need to make ~$150k to afford a detached home!!

crazy!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
RoWis is on a distinguished road
in Vancouver they say the "average" family will need to make ~$150k to afford a detached home!!

crazy!
The prices here are just insane. I was watching the news and they said the average price of a house in the Lower Mainland is $921,000! Which regular families can afford that?!?!

Here's an article on that: http://www.canada.com/theprovince/st...055351&k=82249

Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
604_Coast will become famous soon enough604_Coast will become famous soon enough
engineering!!

kelowna is a great place in the BC interior,a short 2 hour drive from Vancouver...
Whew, you must be one seriously fast driver!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by 604_Coast
Whew, you must be one seriously fast driver!
1000cc motorcycle helps... the 996 doesnt do it badly either!!

but realistically ..ok 3 hours? is that better

Old 03-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
With oil @ $100+, it's difficult to imagine prices softening too much here in Alberta.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
you Alberta people thrive off of the oil dont you!!! dont complain!!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
you Alberta people thrive off of the oil dont you!!! dont complain!!
Who's complaining!