Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Good to know. I read that over at Renntech too. Apparently someone at RIV had indicated that it was an acceptable document.
I'm getting close to importing a 997tt. Someone had said that Porsche now may require the instrument cluster to be changed even though the digital readout can be switched to km/h. Also, it's possible that the heating controls have to be changed to celsius. At this point I don't know if it is true and I'm just a bit nervous about it because it will add significantly to the cost of importation. Perhaps I'll call PCNA just prior to making a deal. Anyone import a Porsche recently?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
supersurfr is on a distinguished road
Smile Importing Porsche to Canada

Well here is my experience. I purchased 2003/911/C4S in Florida. Condition of sale was they were to supply me with a recall letter and a PPI at location of my choice. Car came through PPI with no problems. Upon receving recall letter I Fax'd it to RIV.They approved the letter and gave me a case file #. With this information I pulled the trigger on my deal.
I contacted the car transporter to pickup car. They insisted that their customs broker do all the paper work. My expences were:
Broker $235.00
GST 5%
Excise Tax $100.00
Duty 6.1%
RIV $246.75
I received car about 2 weeks later. Had daytime running lights hooked up (not a the Porsche Dealer)
Took car to Canadian Tire for RIV Inspection. They just wanted to make sure running lights were working. (The paper work took longer that inspection) Car then went for out of province inspection (no problems).
Bought Plates. Car is now legally in Canada.
My whole experience was completely trouble free.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM
beggy will become famous soon enough
The big question is WHEN.

RIV doesn't give upfront confirmation since a month... and US dealers also received instruction since then.

Originally Posted by supersurfr
Well here is my experience. I purchased 2003/911/C4S in Florida. Condition of sale was they were to supply me with a recall letter and a PPI at location of my choice. Car came through PPI with no problems. Upon receving recall letter I Fax'd it to RIV.They approved the letter and gave me a case file #. With this information I pulled the trigger on my deal.
I contacted the car transporter to pickup car. They insisted that their customs broker do all the paper work. My expences were:
Broker $235.00
GST 5%
Excise Tax $100.00
Duty 6.1%
RIV $246.75
I received car about 2 weeks later. Had daytime running lights hooked up (not a the Porsche Dealer)
Took car to Canadian Tire for RIV Inspection. They just wanted to make sure running lights were working. (The paper work took longer that inspection) Car then went for out of province inspection (no problems).

Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by beggy
The big question is WHEN.

RIV doesn't give upfront confirmation since a month... and US dealers also received instruction since then.

I received my car October 18/09, so all transactions happened 2 to 3 weeks prior

Old 10-22-2009, 02:30 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Broker $235.00
GST 5%
Excise Tax $100.00
Duty 6.1%
RIV $246.75
I like a happy ending! Did you buy from a dealer or private? Who did you use for transport? How much did they charge? PM if you like.
thanks

Old 10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I like a happy ending! Did you buy from a dealer or private? Who did you use for transport? How much did they charge? PM if you like.
thanks
I bought from a dealer, but not a Porsche dealer, I used TFX
(416 243-8531) to transport car.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 PM
beggy will become famous soon enough
one of the last!

good for you as now it is really tough (but still manageable) to avoid the 1250$ fee. It was a question of time as MB and BMW already had their pattern to make more $ on imports.

I received my car October 18/09, so all transactions happened 2 to 3 weeks prior

Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 PM
NanaimoCTT is on a distinguished road
i was told by Porsche America if there was factory warranty left on the car, Porsche Canada would honor it if you paid the $1250...

Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 PM
I guess that's not the end of the world, although it is a bit of a cash grab. Our dollar has weakened thanks to the "trash talking" of our Bank of Canada boss so the cost of the car has increased on that front too. Oh well, I'll wait till the new year...

Old 10-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Us dollar

The dollar is always up and down. Chances are that you'll never find the right car when the dollar is at the right exchange rate. Wait till the dollar gets to the place were you feel comfortable and the buy the dollars. Now you have your U.S money, then go looking for the right car.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
jazzman50 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know where one could buy an aftermarket NAV PCM or the phone module for a 07 911

Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 AM
The dollar is always up and down. Chances are that you'll never find the right car when the dollar is at the right exchange rate. Wait till the dollar gets to the place were you feel comfortable and the buy the dollars. Now you have your U.S money, then go looking for the right car.
Yeah that's always been my plan. I've found the car, which is owned by a former 6-speed member. he got kicked off apparently. low miles, good condition, most of the options I want. he's got it stored for the winter so it gives me a chance to get the US bucks at the right price hopefully over the next few months. I'll fly out there to check it out, get a ppi with dme check and paint meter and if things line-up I'll be a turbo owner! Then onto the AWE mods and some rims....

Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM
rajeshr is on a distinguished road
Just imported a CPO'd 04 C4S Cab on Friday - the process was pretty painless. I had the US dealer give me a printout of the Recall Info from their service database on their letterhead - RIV accepted this letter without any questions.

Imported the car on Friday - completed the US export process, Canadian Import Process (+ Duty + GST) and then went to the RIV office at the Blaine border crossing, paid the fees and gave them the Recall printout.
On Saturday, the RIV emailed me the completed Form 2. I finished the DRL hack to get the DRL's working.
Sunday, went to Canadian Tire and completed the inspection. This took less than an hour (I think the actual inspection was about 10 minutes). Once done, got it registered and insured.

All in all, it turned out easier than expected.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 AM
NanaimoCTT is on a distinguished road
how much did you pay for the Cab? The wife is looking for one

Old 11-10-2009, 07:39 AM
rajeshr is on a distinguished road
NanaimoCTT - PM me for details. I don't have enough posts to start a PM with you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter