Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontoxic88 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter

I just got off the phone with Porsche USA and my local dealership.

Apparently, two weeks ago Porsche changed their policy regarding issuance of recall letters required to import Porsche's into Canada.

Old Policy:
1. Call up Porsche USA with VIN for verbal confirmation of recall status
2. Buy car
3. Provide documentation to Porsche USA and receive written recall letter in 3-5 days

New Policy, as of two weeks ago:
2. Buy car
3. Import car into Canada (and pay 6.1% import tax?)
4. Take car down to local dealership for inspection
5. Inspection now costs CAD 1,250 + tax (new fee)
6. Pray the car passes all inspection points or your warranty is void (or fix/replace any non-Canadian approved parts)
7. Receive recall letter from Porsche Canada, if your car passes

Has anyone imported a Porsche from the states and gone through this process? Please tell us your stories. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Old 07-13-2009, 05:20 AM
911A4Mustang is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Nontoxic88
I just got off the phone with Porsche USA and my local dealership.

Apparently, two weeks ago Porsche changed their policy regarding issuance of recall letters required to import Porsche's into Canada.

Old Policy:
2. Buy car
3. Provide documentation to Porsche USA and receive written recall letter in 3-5 days

New Policy, as of two weeks ago:
2. Buy car
3. Import car into Canada (and pay 6.1% import tax?)
4. Take car down to local dealership for inspection
5. Inspection now costs CAD 1,250 + tax (new fee)
6. Pray the car passes all inspection points or your warranty is void (or fix/replace any non-Canadian approved parts)
7. Receive recall letter from Porsche Canada, if your car passes

Has anyone imported a Porsche from the states and gone through this process? Please tell us your stories. Thanks.
I imported my 911 under the old way but just to clarify that step 3 existed then. It applies to all non-north american built vehicles. What`s new is the $1250+ inspection and being at the mercy of a spiteful dealer. e.g. Dealer: uh your blinker fluid needed to be changed to conform to CSSA guidelines. That will be $800 more please.``

Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 AM
JasonKM is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if you can still use a recall letter issued by a U.S. dealer? In order for this to work I think the list of acceptable Porsche Cars must remain on the RIV list.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:48 AM
timbit x is on a distinguished road
Is this for any Porsche, specific years (newer) OR ones under warranty?

(Sorry if the answer is obvious, just starting the research process to import a 911)

Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM
timbit x is on a distinguished road
Disregard, looks like the $1200 is for cars still under warranty.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
beggy will become famous soon enough
I was aware of this new rule but had imported 3 Porsche last week or so(landed here July the 9th), all have been approved by RIV with job management 'no recall' confirmation...also received my form 2 as usual.
neighbor Porsche dealer is freaking out... but I still might have to pay the 1250 instead of the normal 400 for warranty.. I am presently fighting as they are now QC plated. will see and keep you posted.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
i imported a 2001 996 turbo in july and yes heard about the stupid cash grab. I thought screw that there must be another form besides the porsche usa recall letter. And there is! Below is taken right from RIV's website, I personally used #2 called down to a dealer in california and asked for it to be faxed to me. They said you bet, in 5 minutes I recieved it, and in turn faxed it to RIV and worked like a charm. Went and got a universal daytime kit ($39) from canadian tire and its on the road and plated. No bs. Hopes that helps, And I would buy a porsche up here if they were the same price but sadly their not. But it sure helps when you sell it.

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation

RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:
  1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office. The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.
  2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.
  3. Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site. Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites. This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gearhead
i imported a 2001 996 turbo in july and yes heard about the stupid cash grab. I thought screw that there must be another form besides the porsche usa recall letter. And there is! Below is taken right from RIV's website, I personally used #2 called down to a dealer in california and asked for it to be faxed to me. They said you bet, in 5 minutes I recieved it, and in turn faxed it to RIV and worked like a charm. Went and got a universal daytime kit ($39) from canadian tire and its on the road and plated. No bs. Hopes that helps, And I would buy a porsche up here if they were the same price but sadly their not. But it sure helps when you sell it.

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation

RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:
  1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office. The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.
  2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.
  3. Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site. Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites. This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.

I'm with the same problem. Hope it will work! (no plated yet)

Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
it has too its completely legal and there is nothing porsche can do about it, don't pay their stupid fee. If I can do it anybody can.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
dlynch is on a distinguished road
gearhead, truly appreciate your post.

If the dollar remains relatively strong we'll likely see more US cars come this way.

Be careful though, and make sure your history of the car is strong. My Vette, a C6, an '06 wasn't. We were shown the "history" of the car at the dealer we bought from. Nothing to be concerned about. Later carproof caught up, and we found it had been bought back as a GM lemon car. We talked the dealer into buying it back.

Other experiences with US cars have been fine, but nothing since Porsche changed the policy.

Regards,
DaveL
Toronto

Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
c2scanada is on a distinguished road
Workaround

I just bought a 996TT from San Francisco and used the workaround for the recall letter. Option 2

Thank you Gearhead.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
no problem, glad I could help, you will have to let me see it sometime.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Sev
Sev will become famous soon enoughSev will become famous soon enough
This sucks but it seems to be the norm with all makes, not only Porsche...

Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM
gt3rs. is on a distinguished road
us porsche

I just bought an 911 in usa. I asked seller to obtain the non recall letter before closing the deal and everything worked very well ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter