Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt3rs.
I just bought an 911 in usa. I asked seller to obtain the non recall letter before closing the deal and everything worked very well ...
what did you get?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
gt3rs. is on a distinguished road
2008 gt3 rs and i like it...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gt3rs.
2008 gt3 rs and i like it...
good for you, must have saved alot... are you in the GTA?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by gearhead
it has too its completely legal and there is nothing porsche can do about it, don't pay their stupid fee. If I can do it anybody can.
Well i'm happy for you guys, but it's not that easy on my side..

My c2s is stucked in the garage for weeks now. First attempt with RIV was with servicing printout but without formal letter attached. When i was finally able to get the authorized Porsche dealer recall clearance letter, i've sent it to RIV.ca by email and 1 week later no news, so i call them.

Now they want a ''printout'' not a letter.

For my point of view, that's nothing but an attempt of protectionism by the federal gvnt (riv) to help canadian dealership, and it shouldn't be allowed.

I have paid taxes, and 6.1% duty fees + all related fees already.
I don't see what justified paying 1250$ to a local dealership for a printout.

I'm ready to take legal actions.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
If Quebec is in gta, yes...

Just kidding!

Originally Posted by Zookie
good for you, must have saved alot... are you in the GTA?

Old 09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Je suis 100 % d 'accord avec toi...
le 6.1 %, c'est toute une arnaque...
bonne chance pour tes démarches!
Originally Posted by jon8
Well i'm happy for you guys, but it's not that easy on my side..

My c2s is stucked in the garage for weeks now. First attempt with RIV was with servicing printout but without formal letter attached. When i was finally able to get the authorized Porsche dealer recall clearance letter, i've sent it to RIV.ca by email and 1 week later no news, so i call them.

Now they want a ''printout'' not a letter.

For my point of view, that's nothing but an attempt of protectionism by the federal gvnt (riv) to help canadian dealership, and it shouldn't be allowed.

I have paid taxes, and 6.1% duty fees + all related fees already.
I don't see what justified paying 1250$ to a local dealership for a printout.

I'm ready to take legal actions.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:15 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
Just a little update:

Took a ride to closest U.S. Porsche dealership from Montreal near Burlington today. Just to play my last card available before 1250$ fees..

Looks like they CANNOT give me the printout needed. Porsche North America do not allow them to give such document. That's what i was told by the rep at service dept.

So basically it's blocked everywhere.

Did i say few weeks ago i have sent a letter by mail to Porsche North America asking for the Recall clearance letter ?

I received a phone call about 1 week ago saying i must deal with local dealer only and pay the 1250$ fees.

So you cannot rely on the so-called options on RIV.ca website.

It's very misleading and upsetting. And on top of this, even if i pay the 1250$ they won't honor the CPO warranty in Canada..

Old 09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by gearhead
i imported a 2001 996 turbo in july and yes heard about the stupid cash grab. I thought screw that there must be another form besides the porsche usa recall letter. And there is! Below is taken right from RIV's website, I personally used #2 called down to a dealer in california and asked for it to be faxed to me. They said you bet, in 5 minutes I recieved it, and in turn faxed it to RIV and worked like a charm. Went and got a universal daytime kit ($39) from canadian tire and its on the road and plated. No bs. Hopes that helps, And I would buy a porsche up here if they were the same price but sadly their not. But it sure helps when you sell it.

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation

RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:
  1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office. The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.
  2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.
  3. Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site. Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites. This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.

Forget about choice (1.)
You need to go to a local dealership. Neither U.S. or Canadian Porsche head office will deal directly with you.

Forget about choice (3.)
It's just not available for Porsche at this moment, and probably won't be ever.

Choice (2.) is what left. And U.S. dealers received instructions to NOT issue such document, so you're stucked with local dealership and their 1250$ oil change/printout thing.

AFTER that, you will get the form 2 from RIV and THEN you will be able to take an appointment to Canadian Tire for inspection.

They obviously doing all that do discourage people from importing vehicles... Oh well i must admit that's working well for me.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 AM
supersurfr is on a distinguished road
Recall Letter

My car(2003/911/C4S0 is currently being shipped to Canada
My letter from Porsche says Open Campaigns ..No do I have the correct recall letter ?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
dammit, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 997tt. It's already exceeded my price limit by a few thousand. I hope I don't have to add $1250 more to the total. Let's see what the local dealership there says.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
eas
eas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to beholdeas is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by The Bogg
dammit, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 997tt. It's already exceeded my price limit by a few thousand. I hope I don't have to add $1250 more to the total. Let's see what the local dealership there says.
Any update on your import?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eas
Any update on your import?
I snoozed and the car was sold to someone else. Looks like I'm still in the market. Will keep looking over the winter. At least with the appreciation in our dollar the 1250 bucks will be offset by the lower price paid.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:08 PM
6speedkaz will become famous soon enough6speedkaz will become famous soon enough
you have to pay 6.1% duty regardless if the car was not built in North America

Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 PM
fdss is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jon8
Just a little update:

Took a ride to closest U.S. Porsche dealership from Montreal near Burlington today. Just to play my last card available before 1250$ fees..

Looks like they CANNOT give me the printout needed. Porsche North America do not allow them to give such document. That's what i was told by the rep at service dept.

So basically it's blocked everywhere.

Did i say few weeks ago i have sent a letter by mail to Porsche North America asking for the Recall clearance letter ?

I received a phone call about 1 week ago saying i must deal with local dealer only and pay the 1250$ fees.

So you cannot rely on the so-called options on RIV.ca website.

It's very misleading and upsetting. And on top of this, even if i pay the 1250$ they won't honor the CPO warranty in Canada..
When I brought my car in I had the U.S. dealer do the daytime running lights and fluid changes. While they were at it, I asked for printout for any outstanding recalls to be included in the workorder.

If the U.S. dealer is going to make some money, I'm sure they will help you out. Did a dealer do a PPI for you? If so call them for the recall printout.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
c2scanada is on a distinguished road
The dealer who did the PPI should help you out.
All you need is the printout (Total of 3/4 pages) . There is no need for the dealer to stamp the screen printouts or confirm the status of the recalls on dealer letterhead.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter