Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:37 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NanaimoCTT
my dealer only charged me $500
I have the job management report - I stipulated this when I got the PPI done. If it works then it will have saved me 500 bucks!

Old 04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Just an update which will hopefully be useful to anyone who is considering importing a Porsche. Mine is a 2007 997tt. I got a copy of the "job management report" showing no outstanding recalls and sent it in to RIV before the car was even picked up by TFX, who were great to deal with and charged a reasonable price for transport, brokerage etc...

When the car arrived, I logged onto the RIV site with the case number on the RIV from 1 and the car VIN and it told me that the report was available and downloadable. This is the Form 2. Very convenient so far.

I had the Porsche dealer in Ohio change the digital speedo to kms and turn on the drl. I think the car has to have the sport chrono package for this to be able to be done, just an fyi. The drl is actually the outer led on the turn signal AND the low beam of the main headlights. I had thought it would be just the led. no biggie.

Called Canadian Tire one evening and was told the auto shop was open till 9pm. Went in at 8:20pm and the Eastern European service lady was quite rude and told me I'd have to come back tomorrow. I told her I had called and was told that it could be done. She wasn't that pleased but found one of the young mechanics to do it. The guy came and took my keys and I should have asked him to take off his dirty gloves, but I didn't realize he was going to drive the car into the bay. I jokingly said something to him about it (I wasn't a jerk about it b/c I knew he was doing the test) and he said he only used 2 fingers to turn the steering wheel. Yeah right, I saw him bucking a little cause he wasn't familiar with the clutch feel etc...

Anyway, he checks the drl, verifies that kms show on the speedo, checks the vin and doesn't worry about the rear seat latch thing for child seats (although the Form 2 says it should be checked - my understanding is that it requires a small, cheap part, but it didn't matter for me). He asks about some airbag label and I reply that I don't think it's there since it's not a serviceable airbag (something I read). But then he turns off the key, turns it back on, and does this a few times. I can tell he's a bit puzzled. He tells me that the airbag "fault" light is supposed to come on when you put the key to "accessory" position and it's supposed to turn off when you start the car. This isn't happening. I don't know anything about it since I just got the car. He says it could be expensive to fix. I don't even know if anything is wrong b/c it could be different in this car compared to my other cars which have the airbag symbol in the dash. Anyway, he looks at me and says that he's going to pass the car anyway. Phew, it reminded me of what a good move it was not being a jerk when he drove the car into the bay with his dirty gloves.

I thank the rude service advisor and take the completed form 1 and form 2. There is no charge for this since the RIV fee has already been paid.

Car passes safety and emissions which I had done elsewhere.

I review the mto requirements and take the necessary forms to the dmv office and get there at 9:05am and there is very little lineup. Lady goes through my paperwork and tells me that she has to keep the original title. The mto website says you can bring the original and a copy and they'll take the copy but this lady says that is wrong and says that they (dmv) have no control of what is on the website. She then asks me for the customs form to say that the gst and duty have been paid. I tell her I don't have it but obviously it's been paid or I wouldn't have the car. I thought they would calculate pst on the car price paid but it's actually on the price paid PLUS duty PLUS 100 dollar a/c fee. I went home, got the customs form and went to a different dmv office. They ask me for the RIV Form 2. I ask them why, and they insist that they need to have it. $@@#%$%, I had to go home. But I did ask them about the original title and apparently they do take it. No big deal I guess.

So I was steaming by this point, and it was about an hour and a half later. Got a starbucks, got the form 2 and went back to the original dmv office. The lady that served me initially pawns me off to someone else. He doesn't seem that familiar with this process but didn't ask anyone for help. Thankfully there were no more issues. I paid the fees, got the plates and left. The car is registered and I've been enjoying it.

Bottom line: it's a piece of cake to bring a car into the country. There are a few aggravations that you may face, but some foresight and planning will help.

Last edited by The Bogg; 04-17-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NanaimoCTT
my dealer only charged me $500
Yes its has now Changed to a more Reasonable $500 as to $1250 before...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 AM
rajeshr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zookie
Yes its has now Changed to a more Reasonable $500 as to $1250 before...

$500 is still a ripoff, IMHO!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM
David Cutty is on a distinguished road
Job Management Printout

I spoke to a Porsche dealer and all they could offer was a printout of the screen. Is there a way of obtaining a printed copy?

Secondly, will RIV accept Job Managment Report in place of an official recall clearance letter from Porsche Canada? It seems like an overt money grab after speaking with Porsche Canada who insisted that RIV would not accept that Job management report - only an official clearance letter.

Many thanks.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
The only thing you will need for recall letter is the job management print out. Just get dealer to print it out and you are good to go..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM
supersurfr is on a distinguished road
I received a letter from the Porsche dealer. It identifies my car by serial # and indicates "OPEN CAMPAIGNS" NO. And the it is signed by the "Warranty Administator" pfrom the dealership.
I the sent the letter to RIV and they approved it prior to shipping the car to Canada. This was done in September of 09, things may have changed since then.
Good Luck with the process

Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Prudens is on a distinguished road
Planning on getting a 2008 Cayenne S from the US around April/May this year and was wondering if anyone knows what to look out for on that year's model.

It appears that the import process is straightforward from reading the majority of posts on this thread, so that's good news!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
CDLVancouver is on a distinguished road
great info in this thread! thanks everyone.
quick question re the GST paid....
here in BC we have the new Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). so does that mean instead of paying the 5% GST we now have to pay 12% HST?? or is that purely federal?
guess it doesnt matter either way as itll be 12% to register it, so either pay at the border or pay when its registered.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Spcamno is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
great info in this thread! thanks everyone.
quick question re the GST paid....
here in BC we have the new Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). so does that mean instead of paying the 5% GST we now have to pay 12% HST?? or is that purely federal?
guess it doesnt matter either way as itll be 12% to register it, so either pay at the border or pay when its registered.

Same here in Ontario we have the new HST @ 13% anybody knows what's the calculation is besides the 6.1% duty at the border?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
marvls is on a distinguished road
You'll pay the duty and Federal part of the HST at the border because they are federal agents only. The Provincial part of the HST is paid when you register the vehicle provincially. That was my Toronto experience.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 PM
SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !
Customs Broker around $255.00 (if you get someone to do it)
RIV $265.55
Excise Tax $113.00
Duty is 6.1% of the Canadian Value of the Car
Plus 5% GST on the Canadian Value of the car.
PST is paid at plating

Hope that helps...

Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Spcamno is on a distinguished road
Thank you marvls and 8ull8ear for your detailed post.

Do you know if Ontario still issue temporary permit (10 days permit) for imported vehicles?

How do most people do when they drive their car back from the States?

I am contemplating buying an used 996tt in the States due to the price and exchange rate however, still trying to work out the details how bringing it in.

Also, it is legal to use an Ontario dealer plate in the States?

I know someone owns a garage I "might" be able to borrow it for a day or two if I decide to drive the purchase home myself.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 AM
marvls is on a distinguished road
Licensing is the fly in the ointment.
Ontario will not issue a permit for a vehicle that has not been e-tested and had a safety in the province.
Some US states will issue a temporary permit (2 weeks to 30 days depending on the state) for very little money and that's the best outcome. However, some states like Florida where I purchased my car require full payment of the state tax (non-refundable) even to get a temporary plate. In those cases it's a lot easier to get the vehicle transported. The other alternative is a dealer plate if you know someone who is willing to loan it to you for a few days.
BTW, insurance was easy. I called my regular agent and explained that I'd be driving the vehicle back over a 3 day period and she issued temporary insurance for 2 weeks based on the VIN only. It was cheap.
Good luck...........it's not as tough as it seems but there are many minor details.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !SY6TTX50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Spcamno
Thank you marvls and 8ull8ear for your detailed post.

Do you know if Ontario still issue temporary permit (10 days permit) for imported vehicles?

How do most people do when they drive their car back from the States?

I am contemplating buying an used 996tt in the States due to the price and exchange rate however, still trying to work out the details how bringing it in.

Also, it is legal to use an Ontario dealer plate in the States?

I know someone owns a garage I "might" be able to borrow it for a day or two if I decide to drive the purchase home myself.

Thanks!
I don't know about driving with an Ont dealer plate in the states and Marvls has chimed in. Maybe others can chime in also.

If you are thinking of getting a 996tt, there's a beautiful silver 03 996tt with 29k miles in California. It has tasteful mods with 2 year Porsche warranty. I've been talking with the seller for 2 weeks prior to buying mine. If you're interested, just pm me, I'll be more than happy to forward the info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Importing to Canada: New Requirements for Porsche Recall Letter