Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Can Nav. Unit Be Replaced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:07 AM
ACE76 is on a distinguished road
Can Nav. Unit Be Replaced?

Hi, just wondering if the stock Navigation unit in the Cayenne can be taken out for an after-market one? I know there are a lot of things that the screen displays, so is it advised not to do this or is it ok? I don't want to lose any functionality by doing so.

I plan on replacing all speakers and front head unit if I can.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:31 PM
cayenne418 is on a distinguished road
It should be possible but is very expensive

Old 12-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Have you or anyone you know done it? I don't mind spending the money...I really want great sound.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
Cayenneturbo77 (I think that is his name) has done extensive a/v work in his. I am not sure if he replaced his nav but search for his posts or pm him.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I will do that...from the looks of it, if your Cayenne came with the stock cd player, it seems like an easy drop in after-market upgrade...but with the navigation, t might be a bit tricky.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:05 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
The PCM NAV in the Cayenne is unlike some NAV systems like BMW and in my 997 Turbo which has functions tied into other functions of the car. The Cayenne PCM(as far as I can tell) don't have any controls over any functions outside of Audio and Phone Module if you got that. So replacing the NAV on the Cayenne would not make you lose any functionality of other features that are not audio related.

Someone please chime in otherside. If you have BOSE then its a bypass requirement or rewire. I am not sure of these features yet as I am still in the discovery mode of this idea.

I will try to share what I know when I find out and search the board.

Search for Adapter and you will find an 08 that had the AVIC-3 put in with great results.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info Alpine...I don't mind having to re-wire everything so as long as it's safe to take out the Nav. I will do so..another thing - no one seems to have face plate adapters for the Cayenne...looks like I'm gonna have to get one made custom.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 AM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
Check out item # 250199429343 on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...em250199429343

It looks like a lot of work.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
It's certainly a lot of work...but I think it could be done completely within 3-4 days...I had a Ford F-150 King Ranch completely done up and it took them about a week...that had more work done to it than the Cayenne just listed.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Thats an ugly install by in that Cayenne

There is a double DIN adapter plate with wiring and plates to install a nice DDIN headunit like the AVIC's or KENWOOD, etc.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ble+din&page=2

He has the things that you would need to make it work.

Brettcp

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:45 PM
CayenneTurbo77 has a spectacular aura aboutCayenneTurbo77 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry It took me so long to chime in.... LOL

I wanted to wait to post this b/c my pictures aren't very good......The install was amazing and I couldnt be happier!!!

I removed my PCM and installed the AVIC Z2, and to answer your question.....there are no drawbacks to removing the PCM.... Even the steering wheel controls work with the AVIC Z2!!!

Here are some pictures...

I honestly wish I had done this sooner.....the PCM is nice, but far too restrictive.....

I have also replaced all speakers and added a 12 inch JL Audio W7 subwoofer that is buried in the rear floor. (where the spare used to be)

I'm also pretty sure that the bezel for the head unit is made by Pioneer specifically for the Cayenne..... but it could be custom.

The car is in Philly and Im in West Palm Beach, so I wont be able to get any more pics until 12/30....

The entire job is amazing..... between the sound and performance....I just drive around looking like this all day.....

ACE-- I see that you are in NJ, I would go to my installer in Philly, he is hands down the best in our area, takes pride in his work, and will not let the car leave until the job is perfect....(max = 1 week) I can most likely get you a 6speed'er discount also ( or anyone on this forum for that matter)

Let me know if you guys want more details / pictures!!

Last edited by CayenneTurbo77; 12-27-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by CayenneTurbo77
Sorry It took me so long to chime in.... LOL

I wanted to wait to post this b/c my pictures aren't very good......The install was amazing and I couldnt be happier!!!

I removed my PCM and installed the AVIC Z2, and to answer your question.....there are no drawbacks to removing the PCM.... Even the steering wheel controls work with the AVIC Z2!!!

Here are some pictures...

I honestly wish I had done this sooner.....the PCM is nice, but far too restrictive.....

I have also replaced all speakers and added a 12 inch JL Audio W7 subwoofer that is buried in the rear floor. (where the spare used to be)

I'm also pretty sure that the bezel for the head unit is made by Pioneer specifically for the Cayenne..... but it could be custom.

The car is in Philly and Im in West Palm Beach, so I wont be able to get any more pics until 12/30....

The entire job is amazing..... between the sound and performance....I just drive around looking like this all day.....

ACE-- I see that you are in NJ, I would go to my installer in Philly, he is hands down the best in our area, takes pride in his work, and will not let the car leave until the job is perfect....(max = 1 week) I can most likely get you a 6speed'er discount also ( or anyone on this forum for that matter)

Let me know if you guys want more details / pictures!!
That looks like a beautiful job...very clean and neat...how much did it cost you total in the end if you don't mind my asking? I would certainly ask for pricing from your dealer...giving the vehicle for a few days might be difficult though....did you buy all the parts from the dealer?

I see a lot of people selling the Z2 on Ebay for $1000...not bad at all.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:38 PM
cayenne418 is on a distinguished road
Do you know if the Z3 also hooks up to the steering wheel controls.. that was a main concern in pulling the factory unit for me... love the steering wheel controls and hate to lose them.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:02 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
looks good. As for the original post, it can be replaced. will need to go to the dealership to tell the PCM there is no nav though, otherwise you will get an error message. I have done several versions of the Cayenne from replacing the screen itself and adding an alpine touchscreen in its place, and converting the signals to work with the Alpine so it it looks factory... to replacing the whole damn thing. the Pioneer is pretty cool looking but I am definitely an Alpine person. However i am looking into something else that seems to be where the future will be going to and might make it even nicer than an Alpine/Kwood/Pioneer...

Old 12-29-2007, 11:05 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
oh yea the only reason I did the LCD replacement was because if you look at the Pioneer in the dash in the above pics... although nicely integrated, it has too much open space on the sides, where the PCM had the phone and the other buttons filling the hole.

The first head I replaced I didn't know how the customer was going to react because of the space, but he was OK with it compared to the alternative... "i can always toss the stock back in"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can Nav. Unit Be Replaced?