Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snow Chains for Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
wangt1015 is on a distinguished road
Snow Chains for Cayenne

Another addition to the family!
Picked up a new 08 Cayenne last week

Heading up the mountain on thursday for some snowboarding and just realized I should carry some snow chains with me. Called the dealer and it is like $500 and they don't have them in stock. Any idea where I can pick one up that fits my 18" summer tires? I am in orange county by the ways.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned
IslandMD615 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wangt1015

Heading up the mountain on thursday for some snowboarding and just realized I should carry some snow chains with me. Called the dealer and it is like $500 and they don't have them in stock. Any idea where I can pick one up that fits my 18" summer tires? I am in orange county by the ways.

Thanks guys!
just drive with plenty of room to break and i dont think u need em.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by wangt1015

Thanks guys!
I thought the stock 18"ers came with all seasons?

Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM
ammo_collector is on a distinguished road
I have these for my OEM 20" Sport Technos: http://www.spikes-spiders.com/catalog/view/product/14/

Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 AM
wangt1015 is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, mine is a V6 and the 18" wheel came with the summer tires.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Cannoli is on a distinguished road
Summer tires, eh? Hmm, going to the snow in summer tires are you? Not wise without chains for sure.

The compound of a summer tires does not do well in cold temperatures. If you are coming close to new tires, I'd get a M+S (mud and snow) tire like the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico for driving in the SoCal basin as well as in the lower Sierra mountains. Otherwise, do pick up a set of snow chains/cables. I'm not sure if you need chains for the front tires since the Cayenne is 4-wheel drive. Hopefully others will chime in on this, or ask what the dealer recommends.

Best of luck.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
When I had my rover, I never had to put chains on, not even going to mammoth or tahoe.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Okay ... what kind of tires did you have and did you go when there was actually snow on the road?

These cars aren't cheap by no means. They are great 4x4 vehicles, BUT you've got to have the right tires for the terrain that you're going to be in.

I would think more than twice about driving in the snow in summer tires.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Check out Suncoast Porsche for chains ... $500 for 2-wheels and $1000 for 4-wheels ... 18" wheels.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=955winter

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM
If you're going to spend $500 for chains, go with the spike spiders. After putting on the special hub cap, it literally takes about 15 seconds per wheel to put on and remove.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:06 PM
Brian Haske will become famous soon enoughBrian Haske will become famous soon enough
umm you have 4wheel drive, why do you want or think you need chains???

Old 02-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Unless you have winter tires, 4 wheel drive does not provide sufficient traction on icy roads.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Brian Haske will become famous soon enoughBrian Haske will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ammo_collector
Unless you have winter tires, 4 wheel drive does not provide sufficient traction on icy roads.

I lived in Chicagoland for the first 25 years of my life, never had 4 wheel drive and did just fine with summer, M&S rated tires.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Sure, one COULD drive with summer tires in the Chicagoland winters, but here in California, when you are typically driving in the snow means that your are in the mountains. Losing control of your vehicle in the mountains (hence driving off of a cliff) is a little more serious than driving off into a ditch in the Midwest.

I've driven often ('88 Ford Bronco 4x4 with 33" M&S tires) in the Sierras in the middle of winter and it can be a little harry at times with snow + elevation changes on the road. During snowing conditions, the CHP typically with allow 4-wheel drive vehicles with M&S tires drive on Sierra (mountain) roads without chains. During severe weather conditions the CHP will require these vehicles to put on snow chains. If it is that bad, I don't go if I don't have to.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:26 PM
CyE55 is on a distinguished road
When I had my CS I took it to the Mammoth with the summer tires, during a snow storm. I have a lot of winter driving experience, and thought that the all wheel drive would be OK even with the OEM summer tires. Oh boy was I wrong! It was a handful, braking, driving, whoa, never got stuck but it was not safe.

Then I replaced the tires with P Scorpions and was in Mammoth again in a snow storm that dropped 6 feet of snow, the car drove like a TANK ! No chains needed. I wouldn't spend $500 on chains, I'd spend the money on a set of Scorpions and be done with it. You also get more wear out of the Scorpions than the OEM summer tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Chains for Cayenne