Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brakes at dealership vs. outside sourcing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Brakes at dealership vs. outside sourcing...

Just got word my wifes CTT needs new brakes. I was quoted $1300+ from the dealership. I called Suncoast and was able to get the parts for under $600. I told the dealership to redo their numbers and the best they could muster was $1000. Keep in mind Suncoast sells all OEM parts from what I was told.

I ended up offering to give the dealership Suncoasts number...

Guess which route I'm going....

Old 08-09-2008, 09:27 AM
mlc.design is on a distinguished road
Suncoast

Old 08-09-2008, 11:47 AM
wilfred is on a distinguished road
Not sure if i understand this correctly, but $400 for labor from a dealership is very reasonable...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 AM
04CTT is on a distinguished road
400 dollars for labor on a job I can do in a little over an hour seems to expensive to me but I enjoy working on my own vehicles.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 AM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 04CTT
400 dollars for labor on a job I can do in a little over an hour seems to expensive to me but I enjoy working on my own vehicles.

Wow, you must have a lift and a full set of air tools then? I'm pretty sure that would be a 2.5 - 3 hour job for me. That doesn't include the time it would take for me to do a 2nd beer run either.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
doing the brakes along with rotors on a ctt is as easy as any car. only problem is that porsche forces you to use a special tool to remove the rear pads. Be careful you dont damage anything... other than that you should be fine

Old 08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wilfred
Not sure if i understand this correctly, but $400 for labor from a dealership is very reasonable...

Actually the quote I got from the dealership was 1300+ for JUST PARTS!

Labor... well i'm sure they were going to charge me book hours.....

I have a friend who has a well known Audi/VW shop and I will be letting him do all the dirty work. I don't have the tools to do the job....

Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 AM
04CTT is on a distinguished road
It seems like these stealerships feel as if people are just willing to pay them whatever they ask no wonder there profits are down. They need to actually realize other companys will do what they can do for a fraction of the cost.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Cannoli is on a distinguished road
I was quoted $1700 for a front/rear rotor replacement and pads. Parts were about $1100.

I did it myself with a friend. I paid about the same in parts (Stoptech Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Sensors, New Hardware, Snap-On TZN bit for the rear caliper, and cryotreating the rotors and pads).

It was straight forward and fun.

Attached Images   
Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 PM
wilfred is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cannoli
I was quoted $1700 for a front/rear rotor replacement and pads. Parts were about $1100.

I did it myself with a friend. I paid about the same in parts (Stoptech Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Sensors, New Hardware, Snap-On TZN bit for the rear caliper, and cryotreating the rotors and pads).

It was straight forward and fun.
TZN bit? Is that a 12 point bit? I recently bought a set of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-11-P...918282&sr=8-46

I know it's no Snap-on but I figure if I am only going to use it once or twice, it'll do. The reason I bought it was because you need it to remove the driver's seat to get to the battery. I figure I will need it one day and it's best to have it already, instead of trying to find one then. For those of you who do not have this bit, it is not a very common tool!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I purchased my parts/services from the following suppliers:

Rotors (StopTech PowerStop) and Pads (Hawk HPS) - Zeckhausen Racing
Hardware (New Caliper Bolts, Sensors, Pad Retaining H/W) - Porsche
Socket Driver, Metric, Triple Square, Tamper Proof, 16 mm (PN STSM16E) - SnapOn
Cryogenic Treatment (Rotors and Pads) - CryoScience

Last edited by Cannoli; 08-16-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Nice kit and great price ... good find!

Originally Posted by wilfred
TZN bit? Is that a 12 point bit? I recently bought a set of this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-11-P...918282&sr=8-46

I know it's no Snap-on but I figure if I am only going to use it once or twice, it'll do. The reason I bought it was because you need it to remove the driver's seat to get to the battery. I figure I will need it one day and it's best to have it already, instead of trying to find one then. For those of you who do not have this bit, it is not a very common tool!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 AM
cayenned has a spectacular aura aboutcayenned has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cannoli
I purchased my parts/services from the following suppliers:

Rotors (StopTech PowerStop) and Pads (Hawk HPS) - Zeckhausen Racing
Hardware (New Caliper Bolts, Sensors, Pad Retaining H/W) - Porsche
Socket Driver, Metric, Triple Square, Tamper Proof, 16 mm (PN STSM16E) - SnapOn
Cryogenic Treatment (Rotors and Pads) - CryoScience

Cannoli,

Why did you go with Hawk HPS pads instead of Hawk Ceramics? I need to change my pads/rotors (im at 48k) and was thinking on going with ceramic/and zimmerman rotors. As far as I understand I need the rotors, pad and sensors. Did you purchase the hardware online or at the dealer? is the part retaining hardware the spring kit that suncoast offers? your advide always helps.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-04-2008, 07:30 AM
I chose the Hawk HPS based upon multiple Cayenne owner reviews and some web research. I didn't even consider the Hawk Ceramic pads. Do you happen to know how they compare to the HPS pads?

Overall, I'm pleased with the HPS pads. Much less dust than OE pads and the initial bite is satisfactory. I recently tested the pads during some aggressive mountain driving and was somewhat pleased. For my driving style/conditions, I need better (more aggressive, minimal fade, low dust, good/very good initial bite) brakes. I'm considering the 380 mm front brakes at a minimum, with the 410 mm at the high side. The 955 Cayenne Turbo S is configured with the larger 380 mm brakes. Porsche did that for a reason. Tires should be the limiting factor in stopping a vehicle. With the current setup that I have, I can't even get ABS to activate (stock or current config).

I bought rotors and pads from Zeckhausen, hardware from Porsche, and the XZN bit from Snap On.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM
dynoguy is on a distinguished road
Dealer just quoted me $950 for front/rear plus fluid replacement.
I like what Cannoli did though better.

Is there a larger brake kit for the Cayenne outside of the dealer?