Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PCM2.0 to PCM 3.0?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned
NAV-TV is on a distinguished road
2xturbo,

I'm afraid no dealer would take this job OFFICIALLY, They will never mess with the wiring or anything else not approved by PCNA or Porsche AG.
There is no official retrofit kit (yet...) and since the PCM2 is still under warranty until at least 2011 They will probably swap your PCM2 for a remanufactured PCM2.

Your best bet is to look for a good deal on a PCM3 and Amplifier on ebay.de or ebay.com , and once you get both, find a decent 12V aftermarket shop in your area. the coding would be the last step you do, and in fact if you install a PCM3BT or PCM3MEDIA no coding is needed.

Sorry....

Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by canberk
I can't think of a good reason to upgrade to PCM 3.0. It's not worth it. The max I'd pay would be a 1k difference, only if the dealer exchanges it with my current PCM 2.1
Canberk,

Plenty of good reasons to upgrade. The Bluetooth, iPod, Aux, XM and DVD audio are all built into the radio, and they work better then any aftermarket solution.
My iPod, iPhone, Blackberry all work great.
No charging for the iPhone 3G yet but there is a solution in the works.

I agree about the $7.5k, but if you could find a used setup (radio+amp) for 2k-3k , I think it's worth it.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 PM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
Moni, you'd know I would do it at the dealership, but to be honest I would just go aftermarket. In fact if you don't come up with a NAV solution or Sat for the PCM3 I am recommending the replacement anyways...

Old 11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JBONDOx
Moni, you'd know I would do it at the dealership, but to be honest I would just go aftermarket. In fact if you don't come up with a NAV solution or Sat for the PCM3 I am recommending the replacement anyways...
Jim, what NAV Solution ? Are you telling me you are not aware of the 11/07 update ???

http://navtv.com/forum/index.php?topic=381.0

If not, I apologize for not informing you...

PS - I owe Damon a few bottles of whatever he likes best.... He helped a lot fixing this !!!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Moni, no i was talking about adding the nav and sat to the unit. I have yet to see anything from Porsche on either additions, and had some people who were looking at a vehicle that didn't have either but wanted both...

Let me know...

Also i was the one with the gun to Damon's head, I am justgoing to take his stash when you send it... BTW he is Crown Royal type of drinker by the way... Crown and Coke... and not the cola either I am sure LOL

Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 AM
yo Moni I got your Japanese voice mail the other day... hit me up when you can on my cell

Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Daytonaviolet will become famous soon enough
how much is the cayenne's radio wiring harness? when i was in the market for a bose amp, the dealer quoted me $1500 for the wiring harness

Originally Posted by NAV-TV
It IS possible to retrofit a PCM3 into a 2004-2008 Cayenne.
You only need 2 components: the Actual PCM3 radio and a new 2009 Bose amplifier.

The radio's wiring must be changed (but it's not TOO difficult) and the amplifier's wiring must be changes as well. the fiber optics stay intact.

Any MOST accessories if installed (i.e. CD Changer, NAV Computer) must be removed and optically bypassed as the PCM3 does not work with previous generation accessories.

The PCM3 has built in support for Bluetooth, iPod, Aux Audio and DVD audio. some features need to be activated.

I have a PCM3 in my 2009 Cayenne and everything I just said was verified in a 2008 vehicle.

Note that you also have to code the radio to the VIN Number of your vehicle. Any dealer can do that.

The CAN communication is identical to previous models, so steering wheel controls, parking lights illumination, ign key functions would all work.

I hope this helps;
Moni / NAV-TV

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 AM
stampo2009 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NAV-TV
It IS possible to retrofit a PCM3 into a 2004-2008 Cayenne.
You only need 2 components: the Actual PCM3 radio and a new 2009 Bose amplifier.

The radio's wiring must be changed (but it's not TOO difficult) and the amplifier's wiring must be changes as well. the fiber optics stay intact.

Any MOST accessories if installed (i.e. CD Changer, NAV Computer) must be removed and optically bypassed as the PCM3 does not work with previous generation accessories.

The PCM3 has built in support for Bluetooth, iPod, Aux Audio and DVD audio. some features need to be activated.

I have a PCM3 in my 2009 Cayenne and everything I just said was verified in a 2008 vehicle.

Note that you also have to code the radio to the VIN Number of your vehicle. Any dealer can do that.

The CAN communication is identical to previous models, so steering wheel controls, parking lights illumination, ign key functions would all work.

I hope this helps;
Moni / NAV-TV
I have both components, but how can start installation

Old 06-28-2009, 03:14 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Any updates on this? My particular interest is to put a PCM3.0 nav and head unit into a 2004 996TT (which is MOST).. so I can get better nav, factory look, and BT/Sirius/iPOD.

(yes, I know I can get the last two with PCM2.1... but why spend the money with the crappy nav?)

Thx

A

Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 PM
stampo2009 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ard
Any updates on this? My particular interest is to put a PCM3.0 nav and head unit into a 2004 996TT (which is MOST).. so I can get better nav, factory look, and BT/Sirius/iPOD.

(yes, I know I can get the last two with PCM2.1... but why spend the money with the crappy nav?)

Thx

A
Hey man! I´d like to retrofit my 06 Cayenne S with PCM 3.0 but I m stucked with installation. Do you have wiring diagrams or something where start installation???? Never thought there were too few information on this matter.

If I get information, I let you know also.

thanks

Old 06-28-2009, 07:23 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stampo2009
Hey man! I´d like to retrofit my 06 Cayenne S with PCM 3.0 but I m stucked with installation. Do you have wiring diagrams or something where start installation???? Never thought there were too few information on this matter.

If I get information, I let you know also.

thanks
Well, you should check out Planet Porsche and Caymanclub... there seem to be many more techno types over there than 6speed.

In the BMW world, there are a good many engineer types and therefore a much richer resource of info on 'what works, what doesn't, etc, etc. Forums/groups like Yahoo "hack the I bus" and "BMW Nav" are invaluable. I've not ID'd anything that rich for the P world.

Just for background info:

http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...-prices-4.html

GL

A

Last edited by ard; 06-26-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 AM
heacuva is on a distinguished road
7500 is a lot for that :O