Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Best winter tires for the Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Seattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond reputeSeattle996 has a reputation beyond repute
Best winter tires for the Cayenne

Ive researched, but am curious what other Cayenne owners feel are the best tires for the winter.. primarily for going up to the mountain for snowboarding. I'm going to take off the 22's and put the scrawny 18's. With that in mind, what is the best 18" snow tire?

To me, it seems like the best deal is the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows for the $$$. Anyone else agree or disagree. I would like to pull the trigger in the next few days.

Thanks!

Bojan

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
18" Pirelli Scorpions work very well in Ice and Snow.

MK

Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 AM
onemanclique is on a distinguished road
I know it's best to get a separate winter set, but living in nyc I don't have the room to store tyres until the next season.

I currently have summer tires on my 20" SportTechnos. Does anybody have any experience with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X All Seasons?

It got great reviews from tirerack.com even in heavy snow conditions, but I just wanted to see if anyone had direct experience with this set on a Cayenne.

I'm in NYC so although we get occassional snow it's never really heavy. I do plan on making one trip to Vermont to go snowboarding. How do you think the set will hold up against the two environments?

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
I have 19" continental all season tires and they handle pretty well on snow, they are really soft and wear too fast, that's one bad thing about it. Otherwise, it handles pretty well on snow

Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
B Feelgood is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by onemanclique
I know it's best to get a separate winter set, but living in nyc I don't have the room to store tyres until the next season.

I currently have summer tires on my 20" SportTechnos. Does anybody have any experience with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X All Seasons?

It got great reviews from tirerack.com even in heavy snow conditions, but I just wanted to see if anyone had direct experience with this set on a Cayenne.

I'm in NYC so although we get occassional snow it's never really heavy. I do plan on making one trip to Vermont to go snowboarding. How do you think the set will hold up against the two environments?

Thanks for any feedback.

Also interested in any reviews on the Yokohama. Obviously it won't stop you from sliding on ice as good as a dedicated winter but hows the traction?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:12 AM
mattjtaylor50 is on a distinguished road
yokos

tread pattern on yokos does not look to snow friendly. looks more geared to summer

Old 11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
tonga3 is on a distinguished road
I just got a set of Cooper winters, don't know how they work yet.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I've used Yokohama Geolander HT-S in '05 tahoe extreme snow conditions.. which did
great, not sure if it's still avail but only good for V6/S speed rating..

for dedicated snow tires I prefer the Pirelli Ice and snow..

Old 11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
dajadeturtle is on a distinguished road
Im in NYC also without storage for a winter set, I know I went my first winter with the Rosso's 275/45/19 that came on mine I was fine "I took my time on non plowed road, 4950lbs of mass sitting on summer tires not my brightest move..." however because where my buddies Toureag was spinning and sliding with snow tires to get up the incline of our comunal driveway my Cayenne just climbed out without any issue, however skip ahead an hour and twenty minutes later some 40 miles away I tore the crap out of my mothers s bend inclined crushed rock driveway and was raking rocks all spring to level it back... currently l have the factory issue 275/45/19 Goodyears all season on now and haven't experienced any snow... I can't offer a solid opinion yet...

Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
My overwhelming top seller has been Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow. They have excellent ice traction and are N rated (255/55 18, 235/60 18, 255/50 19 but NOT 295/35 21 ).

Yokohama Parada in the snow? Yeah, good luck with that. The Geolander is a much better all season tire.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

Last edited by damon@tirerack; 02-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 AM
jamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud ofjamesaarra has much to be proud of
I am picking up an 09 GTS in a few weeks. I live in CT. I have access to another daily driver SUV so I don't anticipate that I will driving the GTS in really bad snowy conditions.

That said ... am I crazy if I just pick up a set of 21 Pirelli Scorpions for the factory rims & have those mounted for the off chances I do drive the GTS in bad conditions?

My Infinti FX35 had 20" rims and all seasons (not winters) and it has always been fine in the snow as long as I didn't try to be a hero.

Seems like the status quo is to get 18" rims and tires.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on Pirelli Scorpion. Have been using for last 3 winters with no problems. Still tons of threads left.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
are these necessary, no, but in my opinion the best.
Tire Rack doesn't sell them, and most stores don't carry them but can order.
They are more $$$ than yoks, perelli, and all those, but the best comes at a cost.
my dealership rated these better than the pereli ice and snows.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV

The Premier Studded Winter Tire in North America for SUVs
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 Sport Utility is a high-performance tire designed to handle winter's harshest conditions. Well-balanced grip, enhanced by our unique “Bear Claw” technology and upgraded square stud, ensures that heavy vehicles can be controlled under extreme conditions, while polished main grooves push heavy snow and water aside to prevent slush aquaplaning.

Maximum Grip from Bear Claw and Square Stud

The unrelenting grip of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV comes from several technical innovations.

The bear claw stud boosts stud operating effectiveness. The front edge of the tread blocks features a sharp-edged, claw-like projection circled by siping, which pre-tightens and supports the stud. The sharp end of the square-shaped hard metal pin always points in the driving direction, ensuring excellent ice grip and lateral stability. The stud does not twist or give way, improving surface grip particularly in the shoulder area which is most critical to maximize breaking capabilities.

Polished Main Grooves

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV features stylish polished main grooves, which are shiny grooves that help expel snow and slush from the tire’s surface. The innovative tread pattern allows the tire to run effortlessly in deep snow, ice, wet roads and slush.

Naturally Nokian Tyres

Nokian Tyres is the world’s first tire manufacturer to introduce a production method using earth friendly oils. The Hakkapeliitta 5 SUV is manufactured using only low aromatic, purified oils. These purified oils keep Nokian tires from polluting the environment as the tire gradually wears down.

Properties:

• New technical innovations: the bear claw and square stud guarantee uncompromising surface grip and precise handling characteristics
  • Superior stud durability
  • Stabilization zone improves stability for heavy SUVs
  • Good running capacity, even in deep snow
  • Surprisingly quiet for a studded tire
With all that said, for my next set I will probably get the perelli's, becuas of $$$$.

If I wanted the best though with $$$ not being a factor, I'd get these.

If you don't want the studded ones,
try these:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV

Exceptional Winter Performance

or

Nokian WR SUV

All-Weather Plus Safety for SUVs

or

Nokian WRG2 SUV

Forget the Forecast

go here and see for yourself.
http://www.nokiantires.com/

Last edited by Jace; 11-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:11 PM
nooksack is on a distinguished road
I went on-line with Discount Tire to book an appointment to have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow but after a 3 day delay, no return phone calls, and a continuous busy signal on all my follow-up calls, I went ahead to the Porsche dealership and got a set of studded winter tires. I was so desperate to get that studded tires I didn't even bother looking at the brand, but was pleased to find out that the winter tires was a set of Hankook I*Spike RW11, as the reviews matched my positive observations.

After driving a set of all-season tires, last winter, it was dejavu again this winter, as I was slipping and sliding at every intersection and at every turn. My brakes were practically immobilized as the anti-locked kicked in, which feels like having to stick a knife into the ice, which is connect to my brake pedal (not reliable even at 10-15 mph).

Once installed, it was night and day, as I gain confidence again in my braking and now there is no need for the anti-lock to kick-in now, as I feel the studded tire grip strongly to the ground (snow and ice). Even as I try to skid by accelerating through a turn, it feels like the tires are on rails. The sales person tried to warn me how loud the studded tire was going to be, but I had to open the windows to even hear a slight humming sound. Once I turned on my IPOD it was business like usual.

The kicker is that I am always a firm believer that you get what you pay for, but I was surprised that tires prices so low, almost 1/3 when compared of getting a set of Scorpion Ice & Snow.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:08 AM
bond525is is on a distinguished road
I use Dunlop M3 on my Audis

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best winter tires for the Cayenne