Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Anyone go REAL off-roading in their Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Anyone go REAL off-roading in their Cayenne?

I just picked up an '06 Cayenne Turbo. It came with 22" wheels on 285/35 R22 wheels. I love the look and plan on keeping them, but obviously this setup won't do well off the pavement. I'm probably the very small percentage of Cayenne owners that will be taking their Pepper off-roading and using it to it's true potential. I'm running into problems with finding the right off road wheel and tire combination with some good all-terrain treads. I'm currently looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers with some aggressive tread. Which setup will fit without rubbing issues?

Stock setup: 275/45 R19 overall diameter: 28.74 inches
Current street: 285/35 R22 overall diameter: 29.85 inches

proposed off-road setup
setup 1: 265/50 R20 overall diameter: 30.43 inches (my preferred choice)
setup 2: 255/60 R18 overall diameter: 30.04 inches

Is anyone running any one of these wheel/tire combos?

Thanks for all your help...although I predict I won't get much responses since it appears the Cayenne isn't really geared toward an off-road crowd like the Range Rovers. Even if there isn't much off-road support for the Pepper I'd still pick it any day over the RR.

Last edited by rockstardoc; 04-14-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
You should take a look at the set up on the competition TranSyberria models. I think they ran an 18" wheel but I don't remember. Do a search and it'll come up.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:12 PM
nyweather is on a distinguished road
I dont remember exactly where I read it but Cayenne were not designed for off roading nor serious snow driving. Thats why you would never see a Cayenne ad doing either.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM
DanH has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Originally Posted by nyweather
I dont remember exactly where I read it but Cayenne were not designed for off roading nor serious snow driving. Thats why you would never see a Cayenne ad doing either.
not true, they are pretty good off road if you put them on the right tyres + wheels.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Of course but its not a "recommended" use

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Please tell me you're kidding? The Cayenne has all the goodies to go off-roading. It's just that the people that buy them don't utilize it's capabilities to its potential. Come on... the Cayenne has variable traction control that constantly monitors wheelspin and redistributes torque to the appropriate wheels, it has center locking differentials, air suspension with variable ride height to improve break over, approach, and departure angles, etc.

Here's a video on it's capabilities. Please do your research before you make any false statements. Thank you for your input.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM
minira is on a distinguished road
these things were tested in extreme conditions and were put through some abuse before production. the transyberia models were very reliable and fast. saw it when they actually showed it on t.v. check out their specs, I know they're somewhere on the website, also past excellence mag. this car is very capable of going off road. You ever see BMW racing their X5?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I am not saying the vehicle is not capable. As a matter of fact properly equipped I think it can take on a RR any day. However, Porsche will tell you the vehicle was designed for performance not offroading.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
wilfred is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
I just picked up an '06 Cayenne Turbo. It came with 22" wheels on 285/35 R22 wheels. I love the look and plan on keeping them, but obviously this setup won't do well off the pavement. I'm probably the very small percentage of Cayenne owners that will be taking their Pepper off-roading and using it to it's true potential. I'm running into problems with finding the right off road wheel and tire combination with some good all-terrain treads. I'm currently looking at the Nitto Terra Grapplers with some aggressive tread. Which setup will fit without rubbing issues?

Stock setup: 275/45 R19 overall diameter: 28.74 inches
Current street: 285/35 R22 overall diameter: 29.85 inches

proposed off-road setup
setup 1: 265/50 R20 overall diameter: 30.43 inches (my preferred choice)
setup 2: 255/60 R18 overall diameter: 30.04 inches

Is anyone running any one of these wheel/tire combos?

Thanks for all your help...although I predict I won't get much responses since it appears the Cayenne is really geared toward an off-road crowd like the Range Rovers. Even if there isn't much off-road support for the Pepper I'd still pick it any day over the RR.
255-55-18 is the original size for 18" and it is a somewhat common size so you should be able to find few all terrain tires for it. I know General makes one, it is cheap and good.

275-45-19 is what I have on mine, it is an odd ball size. I am not aware of any AT tires for this size. And I would assume it will be even harder to find AT tires for 20" & up that will fit the cayenne. Anyways, for offroading use, 18" is the smallest wheel that will clear the caliper. (17" for the V6 and 19" for the Turbo S)

Also, if you scroll thru the PCM, there is a list of tires you can select. Talk about easy speedometer calibration!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
DanH has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I am not saying the vehicle is not capable. As a matter of fact properly equipped I think it can take on a RR any day. However, Porsche will tell you the vehicle was designed for performance not offroading.
Where exactly do they say that?

You sure you aren't thinking of the x5?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
gtibobvr6 is on a distinguished road
I run 265/60/18 Blizzaks on 18 inch Porsche wheels in the winter. No problem what so ever. This is on a Touareg btw. But I've driven at loading level and still not rubbing or anything.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 PM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
The main reason the Cayenne weighs as much as it does is because of all of the off-road ability engineered into the chassis and suspension.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by gtibobvr6
I run 265/60/18 Blizzaks on 18 inch Porsche wheels in the winter. No problem what so ever. This is on a Touareg btw. But I've driven at loading level and still not rubbing or anything.
Thanks for this info. I will definitely consider this setup.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM
christx997 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DanH
Where exactly do they say that?

You sure you aren't thinking of the x5?
he has to be thinking of the x5.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
onemanclique is on a distinguished road
yeah the cayenne is primarily known for it's excellent off-road capabilities. in 2006, for the first time a cayenne won the Transsyberia Rally, a race from Moscow to Mongolia across some of the roughest terrain on earth. the rally is open to all 4x4 vehicles that are street legal including going up against several range rovers. the following year in 07, the top spots from first to third place were all driving cayenne s'. then the following year in 08, cayennes clinched positions 1-6.
because of cayenne's success in the rally, porsche made the cayenne s transsyberia edition.

i think in the next one.. something like 80% of the teams in the race are going to be driving the cayenne s transsyberia

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone go REAL off-roading in their Cayenne?