Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Four wheel drive system faulty.. Ahhh help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:28 PM
stikystikyricky is on a distinguished road
Four wheel drive system faulty.. Ahhh help!!!

So I just got my truck back from the stereo shop today. They had it for 2 weeks getting the following done: Clifford Alarm, Avic d3, Bluetooth, 3 additional tv's, custom fiberglass box in spare tirewell, and 2 amps. 1 2ch for subs, 1 4ch to bypass the bose amp.

However when I went to pickup the truck, I got a warning light saying "Four Wheel Drive System Faulty." And its stuck in 4 wheel drive. The yellow 4wd light is on in the gauge cluster. The tech told me I need to go to the dealer to have it reset. He said they unplugged the battery and plugged it back and everything was fine. Then they had it unplugged a second time however they had the center console taken out and had the 4wd switch unplugged. They saw the fault, plugged it back in but the light still didnt turn off. Left the battery unhooked for 30 mins.. light was still on.

I took it to the dealer today, dealer says he cant reset the light. I have to pay a $150 diagnositic fee. The stereo shop keeps insisting its just a reset. Is there a way I can try to reset this myself rather than deal with paying the dealer and trying to get money out of the stereo shop? Just too much of a hassel.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
i would leave it with the stereo shop to sort out as its there fault.
its a no-brainer that everytime a car has work done on it (electrical) that you disconnect the battery....then you CANT get a warning light on.
they should not have disconnected the 4 wheel drive leaver without disconnecting the battery.

by us its £25 to reset lights via OBD2 if it requires PWIS then it will be main dealers prices.

good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
tonga3 is on a distinguished road
I have had these lights go off numerous times, every time I turn the vehicle off and restart it the lights are gone.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by tonga3
I have had these lights go off numerous times, every time I turn the vehicle off and restart it the lights are gone.

I have tried everything.. Mine doesnt seem to go away. The switch in the center console doesnt have any red lights or anything when I move it up or down. It acts as though it is a dead switch. I know its plugged in because when I start the car the red lights turn on for a split second. After that the switch is dead.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stikystikyricky
I have tried everything.. Mine doesnt seem to go away. The switch in the center console doesnt have any red lights or anything when I move it up or down. It acts as though it is a dead switch. I know its plugged in because when I start the car the red lights turn on for a split second. After that the switch is dead.
that sounds like your 4 wheel selector module is faulty or the transmition ecu, you will need to hook it up to a porsche PWIS to diaognose the problem, it should throw up a code.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by ONE234
that sounds like your 4 wheel selector module is faulty or the transmition ecu, you will need to hook it up to a porsche PWIS to diaognose the problem, it should throw up a code.

Thats what Porsche did. They said its not even detecting it. Maybe the stock radio that they removed had some sort of sensor or something to do with the 4wd attatched to it?? Just a thought. Dont know.. Its back at the stereo shop as we speak. They are trying to figure it out.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:16 PM
thats bad luck, i hope you find the solution.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:20 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Hopefully the stereo shop didn't short the circuit somewhere to cause this problem; since they were doing some electrical works.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
The only code that I know of on any of the Porsche vehicles with replacement of the head unit, you get a communications error that does not show up on the cluster and it is in the HVAC. However, i use a PIWIS to program the PCM or CDR out of the vehicle.

The only possible scenario that I can think of is that they maybe bent the pins when plugging the switch back up, wires are chaffed on the shifter, they tagged the wrong wires, or they blew the fuse to the module when plugging it back in which would explain no communication with the module. I hope this wasn't Benchmark Motoring doing this if you are in the Seattle area, they would be the only ones I would trust a vehicle with in the area

Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 AM
knicks will become famous soon enough
should return to the stereo shop and get an overview of the electrical work maybe a short circuit somewhere? get the wires retraced then look yourself or go to porsche for it but you might get slammed with a diagnostic fee for something that useless

Old 07-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Just got a call from the dealer. Turns out the "Servo Motor" is bad. He said that it may just be a coincidence that it went out while the shop had the car. But I dont get it.. If I handed them the car and it was working fine.. How does the motor just go out? After doing some searches online.. the only people that seemed to have the motor go out were rocking back and forth stuck in snow or a ditch.

Either way.. Thats the part I need and they said it will cost me $800. I got the truck back because they wont have time to replace it until mid next week. He says it wont do the car any harm driving it in 4wd. Does anyone reccomend any places online where I can buy the part online? I am going to have to wait for the install anyways..

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
Cayenne's are known to have 4wd failures when there is not enough battery power available. Your stereo most prolly sucked a lot of battery and that caused all those problems. This may seem nonsense, but experience here talks..

Old 07-12-2009, 09:07 AM
JBONDOx is on a distinguished road
Never had that issue at all, and I have installed some pretty power hungry amplifiers before.

BTW, have the dealer just order the part and pay t have it done through them, here is why: you bring them the part, pay to have it done, then 1 week later or months down the road the part goes bad... since you did not get it from them they can tell you to bug off, buy another one and you can start all over again... but the topic would start off "4WD module died dealer told me to go screw off" So, being a Porsche owner,, and not a GM, Ford, Etc (not that there is anything wrong with that) you are kinda of in a bind when it comes to maintenance

Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
mrz500 is on a distinguished road
I had the same prob servo motor went bad, new part from suncoast was around $280 and then had local company who does porsche install .5 hrs so $55 I was out $335. they told be its a pretty easy swap out.