Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Spacers and Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
joshdunn87 is on a distinguished road
Cayenne Spacers and Tires

Hello,

I have a 2006 CTT with 20" SportTechno wheels. I am looking to get a new set of tires because the pirellis wear out so quickly and I wanted to switch to yokohama or michelin. I know that yokohamas are not preapproved but I feel that they are a better tire than the michelin diamaris. The factory recomended that I stay with the 275/40/20 tire size but I wanted a tire a little wider to give the car a more aggressive look. Does anyone know the biggest tire I can fit under the car without any problems? And finally, does anyone know of any wheel spacers that I can put on those wheels? They will not put the porsche ones on because they are not approved for the sporttechno wheels. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM
lydboj is on a distinguished road
I have 22" SportTechno-wheels on my 2005 Cayenne V6. My tires are Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 295/30-22. I like the ride and grip in all weather-conditions these tires have. I have read on other forums that many Cayenne-owners have these tires on their cars.

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Ban...1&BandtypeID=3

Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 PM
porscheaudifam is on a distinguished road
I have 285/35/22s and I bought the wheels with tires already on but I would get the Vredesteins

Old 07-31-2009, 04:06 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by joshdunn87
Hello,

I have a 2006 CTT with 20" SportTechno wheels. I am looking to get a new set of tires because the pirellis wear out so quickly and I wanted to switch to yokohama or michelin. I know that yokohamas are not preapproved but I feel that they are a better tire than the michelin diamaris. The factory recomended that I stay with the 275/40/20 tire size but I wanted a tire a little wider to give the car a more aggressive look. Does anyone know the biggest tire I can fit under the car without any problems? And finally, does anyone know of any wheel spacers that I can put on those wheels? They will not put the porsche ones on because they are not approved for the sporttechno wheels. Thanks for the help.
wheel spacers are a big no-no
they put too much strain on barings, ask any race team, your car is a big heavy 4x4, you want to reduce rotating mass...not increase it.....
but its your call.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 AM
joshdunn87 is on a distinguished road
Ok so no spacers, but what tires are you currently running I have never heard of Vredesteins, so how are they in comparison to yokohamas or michelins?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 AM
ONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud ofONE234 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by joshdunn87
Ok so no spacers, but what tires are you currently running I have never heard of Vredesteins, so how are they in comparison to yokohamas or michelins?
there a good tyre, as are the other two, it rearly comes down to useage over cost.
for me there is never a compramise on tyres (or brakes) as they are the only thing that connects you with the road.
i do need a good wearing tyre but the nature of our beasts means we need a high performance tyre also.

if the choice was down to me it would be Toyo proxies (not sure how available they are stateside)
or continentals.

but yoko or michelins are top rated tyres.
good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
onemanclique is on a distinguished road
im currently riding on the yokohama parada all seasons with my 20" sport technos. i had the michelin diamaris prior to and i personally like the yokohamas much better.. doesn't wear too quickly and it's a smoother ride. it's also half the cost of the michelins.. can't go wrong

Old 08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Had Yokohama Advan Sports but now on Yokohama Paradas. Handles much better and now I can carry a conversation with my wife & actually enjoy the music.

I know I was informed by the dealer that this tire isn't approved by the Porsche and I asked them the reason why, and they told me that my Cayenne won't be able to handle the extreme condition (high speed) if I use these tires that aren't approved by Porsche. I replied back, are you (Porsche) promoting Porsche owners to disobey the law?
Since I don't use my Cayenne for street race nor track, jesus give me a break this is SUV. At the same time, I go 5+ mph speed limit, which I never have to worry about not being able to control my Cayenne nor there aren't a single tire out there sold in the US soil that are approved by DOT & SAE that can't handle 60-70mph speed.

The end of story, the local dealer backed out and told me that it's okay to use unapproved tires, but they just have to inform Porsche Cayenne owners with the list of approved tires for their recommendation.

Jesus, I have never had a good experience w/ Michelin tires, they wore out quick or hell darn expensive, I would much rather spend that money elsewhere.

BTW, I went with 275/40/20 tires since my Cayenne is still under warranty, and my dealer informed me that it could potentially void the warranty on 4x4 AWD system if the wrong size of tires are used.

Last edited by pcst; 08-05-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pcst
Had Yokohama Advan Sports but now on Yokohama Paradas. Handles much better and now I can carry a conversation with my wife & actually enjoy the music.

I know I was informed by the dealer that this tire isn't approved by the Porsche and I asked them the reason why, and they told me that my Cayenne won't be able to handle the extreme condition (high speed) if I use these tires that aren't approved by Porsche. I replied back, are you (Porsche) promoting Porsche owners to disobey the law?
Since I don't use my Cayenne for street race nor track, jesus give me a break this is SUV. At the same time, I go 5+ mph speed limit, which I never have to worry about not being able to control my Cayenne nor there aren't a single tire out there sold in the US soil that are approved by DOT & SAE that can't handle 60-70mph speed.

The end of story, the local dealer backed out and told me that it's okay to use unapproved tires, but they just have to inform Porsche Cayenne owners with the list of approved tires for their recommendation.

Jesus, I have never had a good experience w/ Michelin tires, they wore out quick or hell darn expensive, I would much rather spend that money elsewhere.

BTW, I went with 275/40/20 tires since my Cayenne is still under warranty, and my dealer informed me that it could potentially void the warranty on 4x4 AWD system if the wrong size of tires are used.
In the end, a good idea to go with an OEM size, in the event an odd size created a problem. Oh and as far as spacers go, if they weren't safe to be used on a Cayenne, they wouldnt be listed in the Cayenne Tequipment brochure. I would be interested to see what the 20" SportTechnos would look like with spacers.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
In the end, a good idea to go with an OEM size, in the event an odd size created a problem. Oh and as far as spacers go, if they weren't safe to be used on a Cayenne, they wouldnt be listed in the Cayenne Tequipment brochure. I would be interested to see what the 20" SportTechnos would look like with spacers.
its a given fact that spacers put more load on the wheel barings and are not used by any race/rally/road team, just because something is listed in a broachure does not mean its safe...a prime example is sat nav..as an option by most manufactures, but if you take your eyes off the road to look at the screen for a second you "COULD" have an accident.
on wheels you need to reduce the rotational mass that is physicis 101, thats why light alloy wheels are used.
to counter your argument if they were ment to be "wider" then porsche development would have built them that way.
they are in the tequipment brochure because they are a "cosmetic" addition and certanly not for performance.
but what do i know

as far as whats approved by porsche tyre wise, it has nothing to do with how good the tyre is, companys pay porsche (yes thats right...pay porsche) for an endorsement of there product, in order to entise people with porsches to buy there tyres (obviously they are proven and good for our cars) and then porsche has a reduced cost in buying these tyres from the manufactures...its a win win situation for both companys, and the companys who cant or dont want to pay dont get the approved offical badge, its as easy as that.
you will proberly find that there are 50 very good type ok tyres for our cars that would suit the cayennes personality, but only a handfull are offically approved

Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Oh and as far as spacers go, if they weren't safe to be used on a Cayenne, they wouldnt be listed in the Cayenne Tequipment brochure. I would be interested to see what the 20" SportTechnos would look like with spacers.

If I remember correctly, Porsche highly discouraged their OEM spacers to be used with 20" technos if I remember correctly.

Try this, build your own Cayenne via Porsche website and select 20" technos and then try to click on spacers (rear only), that option gets grayed out.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pcst
If I remember correctly, Porsche highly discouraged their OEM spacers to be used with 20" technos if I remember correctly.

Try this, build your own Cayenne via Porsche website and select 20" technos and then try to click on spacers (rear only), that option gets grayed out.
You are correct, they do not allow them to be used on the 20x10 Sport Technos, but the first gen sport technos were all 20x9.

ONE234: I never "claimed" spacers were a performance addition, I agree on most of your points, I was stating the fact that someone asked about spacers for Cayennes, and the answer is yes they are available. I also don't think they would be available if they were "unsafe".

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 08-06-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Twincharge is on a distinguished road
TSB for OPC Spacers is attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cayenne_Spacers_TSB.pdf (153.8 KB, 364 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 AM
I also don't think they would be available if they were "unsafe".

Agree, I've been running H&R spacers for my 5 series bimmer (12mm on the front & 20mm on the rear) haven't had a problem for last 5yrs now.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
You are correct, they do not allow them to be used on the 20x10 Sport Technos, but the first gen sport technos were all 20x9.

ONE234: I never "claimed" spacers were a performance addition, I agree on most of your points, I was stating the fact that someone asked about spacers for Cayennes, and the answer is yes they are available. I also don't think they would be available if they were "unsafe".
hi mate, i never mentioned the word "unsafe" that was someone else, i just know they load the wheel barings and increase rotating mass.
you are adding a inch plus of alloy in place of the wheel to hub that porsche intended it to be, for me it boils down to 8 main facts.
1, it was never designed to be "spaced out"
2, the alloy is not as strong as the wheel/hub contact
3, you now have 10 instead of 5 bolts holding the wheel on, thats 5 more that could possibly fail that were not there before.
4, you are altering the handeling charistrics of a proven R & D company (porsche)
5, you are increasing the chances of aqua plaining by distributing the weight over tyre mass
6, its common knowledge that direct alloy/steel contact causes metal fatigue and corrosion.
7, for off roading this is a definate dissadvantage
8, they can sometimes stop the ABS from working properly

why not go the proper route and get larger wheels with proper off set etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Spacers and Tires