Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Rinspeed rim Cracked -Suggestion and solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:58 AM
ken133 is on a distinguished road
Red face Rinspeed rim Cracked -Suggestion and solution

Hi to all fellow members..

i'm a newbie and i just got a 995 Cayenne black in color. I have changed to Rinspeed wheel 23" five spokes design and running with a tyre of 315x25x23 Conti. No doubt, i know the tyre is like rubber bend but theat is the recommended size. I have been using it for about 4 over months and the one of the rim started to have a hairline cracked on the inner part the wheel with a size a less then a inch. I have sent the wheel for repaired by one of the wheel expert and what i knew that they only help me to weld the cracked part. I thought after the wheel being welded, it should be fine. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks down the roads, the same wheel started to cracked again. With this bad experience,i dont have faith in using the wheel anymore. Any advise or solotion? or else i'd just get rid of them and change to 22" with thicker tyre.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:32 AM
NeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond reputeNeilM has a reputation beyond repute
go to 22's. 23's uses too low a profile tire that you'll end up cracking/bending the rim again in the future.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:53 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
How are the roads in Malaysia? I was in KL a few years ago and it seems to be ok.

22's really will not help since the 295/30/22 tires will not give much more sidewall to protect from rim damage than your current rubber bands.

If the roads are not in great condition, like much of SE Asia, I would consider a 21 wheel with the stock size 295/35/21 tires.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM
thanks guys for the advise. The road in Malaysia is not too bad. I still feel that this hairline crack is due to the manufacturing problem as i remembered that was one member also having the same issue. And now i dont have confident in using the repaired rim anymore.

I dont know if i were to change to a thicker tyre size to 305/30/23 (Continental) does it work? the reason being, not many tyre size available for the 23" wheel.

No doubt, the 23" wheels looks amazing on the car but it is the price you have to pay for.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Once a wheel is cracked it is worse than garbage: it is potentially dangerous garbage. Recycle the damaged wheel and either buy one new replacement wheel or a different set of wheels. I have factory 21's on my Cayenne, with factory size tires, and they have worked out well so far.

Last edited by sparkhill; 02-21-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:13 AM
Polar993 has a spectacular aura aboutPolar993 has a spectacular aura about
I had two 21" Hartge wheels crack on my M5. I am running 25-series tires as well, but I felt that when you pay about $1,500 per wheel, the wheels should not crack under normal driving.

I contacted Hartge, pled my case, and they replaced both of my cracked rims for free.

I suggest you contact Rinspeed or their local authorized dealer. If they stand behind their product, they'll replace the wheel for you.

As Sparkhill stated, you DON'T want to drive on a cracked rim that has been welded if you don't have to. The structural integrity of the rim has been compromised, and a weld is simply a band-aid solution. The fact that the same rim cracked twice should raise a red flag for you not to drive on it.

Good luck.

Any pics of your Cayenne with the Rinspeeds?

Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 AM
hi Polar,

Thanks for good suggestion. i will try to look for the authorize dealer for Rinspeed and seek their advise.

Meantime, i have difficulty in uploading a picture on it, can anyone assist?

thanks.