Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Drive Shaft/Propeller Shaft issue, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gr8ful
I suspect my drave shaft may be going. Symptom: She bucks sometimes when I take my foot off the gas.

The drive shaft issue is well-documented BUT was reported have been resolved during the middle of the 2004 model years.

I have heard of others offering replacemnt part for $400.
That doesn't sound like drive shaft, shaft has vibration under heavy acceleration- other let off gas or slow starts minimum vibration. I could be wrong, sounds like something else? My transfer acted up at one time and did like a bucking feel when letting off on the gas, my guy reset the values back to zero and seemed to clear it up.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
That doesn't sound like drive shaft, shaft has vibration under heavy acceleration- other let off gas or slow starts minimum vibration. I could be wrong, sounds like something else? My transfer acted up at one time and did like a bucking feel when letting off on the gas, my guy reset the values back to zero and seemed to clear it up.
This may prove VERY helpful. Thank you.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Brentis is on a distinguished road
"reset my values to 0"? What does this mean or imply?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brentis
"reset my values to 0"? What does this mean or imply?

" My transfer acted up at one time and did like a bucking feel when letting off on the gas, my guy reset the values back to zero and seemed to clear it up."
Tech talk?? I'll ask my mechanic what he implied and let you know?
Funny how he called me right after I wrote this (ordered key remote piece since old one quit working).

When he changed the transfer case he never reset values? I developed banging/bucking upon accel/decel? I left the CTT so he could do service and said he would look into it, when I picked it up he said everything was fine and reading up on transfer cases it mentioned reset values to 0?

He said the values were set to zero because; when a new car is sold usually has a few hundred miles on it, it takes a while for the vehicle to learn the driving habits of the driver and controls the rpm limits of when the tiptronic shift to the next gear, driving it hard (like I always do) the unit will carry the shifting limits higher before the next gear is engaged. I told him I noticed how mine will go right to the redline limit sometimes a line or two over before it shifts to the next gear. ? Computers learning the processes of the car? Runs great now! Very strong.

Last edited by 2muchtime; 07-01-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added mechanic's reasoning for value set to 0.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Silver TT is on a distinguished road
Those of you who have done the driveshaft replacement yourself how long did it take? I've heard about 2-3hrs?

I am trying to get a time estimate for my local guy to do it. I would do it myself and was actually kind of looking forward to it but the weekend got away from me with the beautiful weather (and the beers) and now I don't want to go another week before fixing it since the vibration is getting slightly worse.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Silver TT is on a distinguished road
Anyone have this done at the dealer and get a quote on the labor? Any thoughts would beh helpful.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Bought my rebuilt Cardan shaft from Vertex Auto for $350, took about 1 1/2 to replace.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Ay-Nako is on a distinguished road
anyone know of a shop here in the good ole southwest? anywhere between az-ca? more likely in CA (socal)?