Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Drive Shaft/Propeller Shaft issue, anyone else?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
dabalmury is on a distinguished road
Drive Shaft/Propeller Shaft issue, anyone else?

Hi, Im having a drive shaft issue on my 06 v6, it makes weird noise when driving. According to my technician, it will cost me about 1000 dollars to replace. (810 dollars for parts).

Ive been working with him for the past couple services, so im sure this price is right, but i just wanted to make sure here,
have anyone else had drive shaft problem before?
is it possible to get the parts online at cheaper price? if so, where?

please let me know
Thank you,

-Dab

Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I have had one replaced, 04 CTT after 65000. Hard acceleration vibrates, easy take off wasn't bad. Yes Porsche sells the entire driveshaft, my local guy found a shop to remove and replace the bearing that wears out for about 250.00 It took them a while to get the first few right but now he told me there are quite a few that go out. $ 810.00 is definitely list price.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:48 AM
dabalmury is on a distinguished road
got it done,, and whiile it was there got an early oil change, now car drives smooth as before. thank you for the reply

Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 AM
mcfullerton is on a distinguished road
cayenne s drive shaft

my cayenne started vibrating and I called my porsche dealer. He immediately new the probable problem that it was my drive shaft and qouted me about $1300 w tax.
I got online and learned that that particular shaft was never supposed to be put into production as Porsche knew that it was faulty and should have been a manufactures recall as was my water pump a year earlier.

Colorado Drive Shaft 303-297-2928 knew all about the cayenne/taureg issue and had a (correctly)rebuilt on hand for $450 and sent me up the street to Real Deal Auto 303-452-3141 / 720-581-5743. Joe the mechanic pulled the car he was working on out and I pulled mine in. In less than an hour and for $160 bucks I was on the highway to my scheduled appointment.

I highly reccommend both and shame on Porsche! $200 bucks for an oil change, $100 for wiper blades and the key issue? Cut me a brake!!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mcfullerton
my cayenne started vibrating and I called my porsche dealer. He immediately new the probable problem that it was my drive shaft and qouted me about $1300 w tax.
I got online and learned that that particular shaft was never supposed to be put into production as Porsche knew that it was faulty and should have been a manufactures recall as was my water pump a year earlier.

Colorado Drive Shaft 303-297-2928 knew all about the cayenne/taureg issue and had a (correctly)rebuilt on hand for $450 and sent me up the street to Real Deal Auto 303-452-3141 / 720-581-5743. Joe the mechanic pulled the car he was working on out and I pulled mine in. In less than an hour and for $160 bucks I was on the highway to my scheduled appointment.

I highly reccommend both and shame on Porsche! $200 bucks for an oil change, $100 for wiper blades and the key issue? Cut me a brake!!!!
Agree wonder how many out of ten have these issues and what level would Porsche consider a recall?? I had and did the same! Local (use to work at dealer) Master Mechanic on only Porsches. He won't however do mods, for that USP.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
ClutchnThrottle is on a distinguished road
My indy mech told me that the current Cardan shaft is the 17th design iteration.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Guys I have been warned about going to these remanufactured cardan shafts but for a fractional cost of 160 versus 750 on Suncoast......I am all on board.

What should I be doing in preparation for the next one to go out? Look for a drive shaft shop to just be ready to repair the main bearing?

I think they just need to make sure they install it properly bcause of the AWD system?

Old 06-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by cordsig79

What should I be doing in preparation for the next one to go out? Look for a drive shaft shop to just be ready to repair the main bearing?

I think they just need to make sure they install it properly bcause of the AWD system?
That's exactly what my guy does, turn around one day, rebuild your own shaft. Have close to another very hard 20K now and everything is great!

Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Agree wonder how many out of ten have these issues and what level would Porsche consider a recall?? I had and did the same! Local (use to work at dealer) Master Mechanic on only Porsches. He won't however do mods, for that USP.
I'm going to guess 10 out of 10. Its a rubber bushing, it will wear out. There will likely be no recall on a "wear" item. And yes, mine failed as well

Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Silver TT is on a distinguished road
I think I have to replace mine as well. Just started getting the same symptoms late last week. Mild thumping noise and slight vibration under acceleration but goes away once up to cruising speed. So there seems to be consensus that the rebuilt Cardan unit is the way to go or has anyone had issues with the rebuilt solution?

Seems like if its just the bushing that is often the issue then there is no point in buying a new piece of metal for $750 if you can get the rebuilt for $150-200.

Has anyone installed themself?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Ebay is selling them for 350 but you have to ship your core to them........from what I can gather you can just find a local shop that will put in new bearings and rubber core for a few hundred bucks.........I am asking around in Austin, TX which has a plethora of off road rigging shops.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by mcfullerton
Around all of these issues....and I have had my Pig for 4 years......I went to a local oil shop after changing my own oil twice with alot of sweat and pain.

They intially balked at working on it because of the liability a porsche will cost for them to replace if they screw up.

Then I took them Rennlist info on DIY and said look its basically a toureg........not something Cayenne owners want to hear but it works with the retail oil change shop.

I buy my oil at autozone for about 37dollars..5 quart container and then 2 one quart bottles....7 quarts total I think.

I buy the filter and gasket from Suncoast....23 bucks........and they charged me 20 bucks for change and disposal. And its done in 15 minutes, now I have the "jiffy lube" sticker and I am in their system. So when I pull up now, its customer supplied materials and 15 minutes or so of labor for them and no hassle anymore.

They even had an extra screw for the drain plug, I had kinda stripped it out when doing it myself........5 bucks.

I also bought 30 dollar windshield wipers at Pep Boys because they have a free install guarentee.........

Take the time to do some trial and error but you can find almost anyone who can do the simple stuff or use 6 speed and Rennlist and go to your local labor provider and show them........

Even the internal cabin filter is a 20 dollar part and 5 minutes of my time now..........I was paying porsche 150 bucks to replace it.

I used to speed 3k a year on stuff..........now its about 500-600 max for general maintenance, oil, and tires........yes I have found a way to cut the cost of tires too.....

Last edited by cordsig79; 06-28-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Silver TT is on a distinguished road
These are helpful tips. I have found a good dealership who I trust for any real maintenance issues where you don't want someone without the correct tools and experience of working on Porsches to mess around with your $50-100k car.

But for things like wiper blades and oil changes it is a real kick in the nuts to shell out $75 and $225 respectively. Suncoast has all these parts at almost 50% off what your average dealer would charge.

I just did the 80,000 mile service along with new plugs, coil packs, filters, cleaned throttle bodies and a bunch of ancillary items like a cornering light and new windshield washer resevoir which has been cracked and all in it cost me about $1600. Total kick in the nuts but I don't have the time or tools to change plugs + coil packs and at least now I know it was done right. All other basic maintenance I will be doing myself going forward.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I thought I had a weak battery, very sluggish starting, voltage tested out fine, it was the starter. And guess where the starter is located! under the intake manifold! I already had the coolant tubes changed or that would be the time to do it.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
I suspect my drave shaft may be going. Symptom: She bucks sometimes when I take my foot off the gas.

The drive shaft issue is well-documented BUT was reported have been resolved during the middle of the 2004 model years.

I have heard of others offering replacemnt part for $400.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft/Propeller Shaft issue, anyone else?