Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Conundrum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
dimf is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gr8ful
PS This one is not CPO; it has only it's factory warranty. In which case, I might ask them to CPO it (if it qualifies, i.e. NO history of accidents, all OEM) and get that extra TWO YEARS or 100,000 mile warranty.

However, if I recall, a US dealer can not sell to Canada.
my last 2 posts were referring to 2 different vehicles. the one where I made an offer already was listed by a dealer in Canada. Sticker price of that Cayenne was over Cdn$ 151k with 22k miles.

the red GTS is being offered by a US reseller as a used unit, not CPO. I believe it is the same vehicle pictured by Notbland.

to my understanding, US Porsche dealerships are not allowed to sell brand new vehicles to Canada, but can sell CPO or used units to Canada.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
While I see that the 1st vehicle is a Turbo, I haven't seen links. But, the GTS seems like a far better deal. Maybe that Texas dealer will help you with service records. I think the Canadian dealer needs to lose your business if you can get the one from Texas. GTS is far more rare that a Turbo. It does not suffer from Turbo lag. That GTS in red is far better looking than those photos. I did not see photos of the interior. Still, it is well optioned. Panoramic Roof! I believe GTS come with air suspension. If that is true and this one is optioned to the level commensurate with a Turbo, I'd see if the Texas dealer doesn't communicate better and make this happen. If one of them has PDDC, then I would lean towards that. Do GTS come standard with PDDC?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
I can't speak for the Turbo, however I replaced our 06 Cayenne V6 with a 2009 Cayenne V6 and they ares are not even remotely close to the same in comfort and especially power. My wife daily drives ours, so I didn't see a reason to spend the extra on a V8. Typically, as a rule of thumb, the more complication and upgrades to a vehicle, the greater the chance for unreliability. Of course this isn't the case...

Now, if it were me and I was looking for a toy, I would be looking to spend 50k on a 911...but again, just me...I can't see a Cayenne as a toy, but that is because it has been a daily driver i'm sure.
Trev

Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by twiskus
I can't speak for the Turbo, however I replaced our 06 Cayenne V6 with a 2009 Cayenne V6 and they ares are not even remotely close to the same in comfort and especially power. My wife daily drives ours, so I didn't see a reason to spend the extra on a V8. Typically, as a rule of thumb, the more complication and upgrades to a vehicle, the greater the chance for unreliability. Of course this isn't the case...

Now, if it were me and I was looking for a toy, I would be looking to spend 50k on a 911...but again, just me...I can't see a Cayenne as a toy, but that is because it has been a daily driver i'm sure.
Trev
Well FWIW, I've had a CTT that I dd for 5 years now, all the upgrades, I still have a blast every time I drive it, push it hard, no
comparison to my 996tt but fun in a
different, should try and test drive one? I'll def
upgrade to another CTTS but this runs so good I have no
reason right now.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:58 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Just two months ago the dealer was trying to tell me about the amazing differences between the earlier Cayennes and the later ones. I guess he wasn't blowing smoke. But affording a newer one is problematic. AT this poit though, I'd like to get more years out of this one (providing I can afford to keep this one on the road) and then get the newer one. I buy used and it will be hard to get one with all I want on it. PDDC and PVT+ for sure. And I really want to try the Burmeister.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a pending deal with MedPro in Dallas on this vehicle.

http://www.medproautogroup.com/web/1...S-Dallas-Texas

We have agreed on the price and everything, I am dealing with Davis Speight, whom I think is the best person I've dealt with since I started this quest. He answered all my questions, provided me with service record, recall letter ,etc.

We agreed that he will send the Cayenne to Hans Hoffman at RUF Auto Centre (RAC Performance) for pre-purchase inspection (my expense) before I send him the payment and send out the vehicle via an auto mover.

Now my wife is getting involved. She's quite concerned about sending the money to MedPro basing on the fact that we haven't met them to verify the legality of their operation. You know how it is, lot's of scams going on out there. I've talked to Davis a number of times and actual feel good about the deal. I thought I've done my due diligence already.

Should I invest another $1,000 to fly to Dallas, check the vehicle, checkout Davis and hand him my check?

Or is the information/report from RUF good enough?

Had anybody on board dealt with MedPro? They seem to have excellent feedback from carbuyers at ebay

http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...edbackAsSeller

again, your inputs will be appreciated.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 AM
I think I would talk directly to the RUF folks and try to sense of whether their work "for you" will be straight up.

I don't have much info (interior shots, basic equip for GTS of that year) but I think you'll be very happy. But unless going there are taking delivery in person meant significantly higher expenses (like taxes), I'd go with your plan.

FYI, I bought mine sight unseen and sweated it the whole way. But when dealing with repudable folks and giving full value, one tends to come out well.

At this point, that inspection might be uneccesary expense, espeically if the CPO'd it for you and gave you full warranty for 100,00 "miles" six years.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 PM
I spoke with Hans at RUF Auto Centre a couple of times, he vouched for the character of Davis and MedPro as a company. Davis also sent me a few references who speaks very highly of him, a picture of himself and his lovely family. I was satisfied enough to send him full payment last Friday.

The pre-purchase inspection proved to be a good investment for me. During the inspection, the RAC tech noticed that one of the Modulare rims was bent, when I phoned Davis about it, he told me that he has one on order already and will make sure it is installed on the weekend. I was told that those wide Modulares are $2,500 each, and I suspect that he did not notice it when it when he bought it. I sent him money for the auto mover as well. A company told me it takes about 10-14 days to transport a vehicle from Texas to our city, I expect delivery when we return from Hawaii on July 5.

Before I made my final decision, I spent a good couple of hours at our local Porsche dealership. Since the Cayenne is still not available for demo or viewing, I spent a lot of time inside a fully loaded Panamera, with the thought that the interiors of Panamera & incoming Cayenne are very similar. Sure it is nice and a vast improvement over the 957's. But when we crunched the numbers at the configurator, my intended budget will get me a base 2011 Cayenne S with auburn metallic and panoramic roof upgrade, that's it. I looked at a 2010 Cayenne S without the leather wrapped dashboard and decided that as nice as the 2011's interior might be, I will still prefer to have the interior of the 2009 in full leather, it is nice in it's own way. The buttons on the console of the 2011's are nice and shiny, but most of them will not do a thing if I don't buy any option. The 2009 GTS is 405 hp (and heavier), the 2010 S is 400 hp (and lighter), but according to what I can gather, the GTS handles very well too. Coming from a 96 Windstar , I might not even notice the improvement in driving dynamics if the 2011 S is better... the dealer is offering $4,000 discount off sticker price on the 2011, I am getting a 2009 Cayenne GTS with 2.5 years of factory warranty left at 60% of the sticker price ... with all these in mind, I concluded - if I own a Cayenne GTS today, I won't take the financial hit just to get into the new one.. the current GTS I think has it's own merits... this decision is also based on the fact that I am buying, not leasing... the improved version of car models every 3 years work very well for the guys who lease.

I think we got most of the items we have on our wishlist on this vehicle. GTS red and Havana alcantara are very high on my wife's list, I got the panoramic roof and nice Modulare wheels. The only thing that I might do right away are get the secondary cat bypass and some filter upgrades right away.. still debating on lowering module and ECU upgrade.

I hope the vehicle is as nice as it was described or as nice as the pictures.

Last edited by dimf; 06-20-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 PM
You might like it as it is and by-pass ;-) the mods.

BTW, my local dealer said that he didn't want to hear of any mods or see any mods or do any mods. At risk of lossing my warranty, I passed on the mods. Check with your local dealer--if he is willing to do the mods AND keep your SUV in warranty, you might have it made.

Great SUV. You'll like it very much. Nice colors. A bit too flashy for me but Beautiful!

PS It was a joy being part of your quest. Keep us updated.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 PM
one guy I talked to had his CTT's cat bypass and ecu upgrade done by this dealership while on warranty, but you're right - asking them first is a good idea,

thanks gr8ful, you had been most accomodating. I will post pictures for sure.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Better than merely asking them is to have them do the work.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:35 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would not even buy a new car without seeing it in person .
I hadn't read the thread in awhile.

Your wife is right about having certainty with any financial transaction.
I realize that cars are sold every day and there are plenty of great businesses but any car is a large purchase and if you are trying to save money buying a used car it makes even more sense to feel secure in every aspect of the deal .

Besides --seeing the car with her and being on the same page with buying it can greatly reduce "I told you so" words.
You don't live with the saleman or the dealership .. but you do live with your wife and that makes her vote count more than theirs.

I know nothing of the dealership or the car . It's great that you got it inspected .

My feelings about cars are that I would rather buy from an authorized Porsche dealership OR a private seller who can go over the car with me with the technicians who worked on it . I can tell a lot about a car meeting the driver and his technicians.

I was at a Porsche dealership today (looking at gt3RS) . saw the new Cayenne .. nice .
Regarding the Panamera -it is my opinion that it is the best sedan built in the world at the moment. It really sets a benchmark with it's PDK and driving ability.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:58 AM
I bought mine sight unseen; however, it was at a dealer, Beverly Hills Porsche.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
well how much fun have you had?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
got my Cayenne GTS in my garage now. I am just in the process of completing the registration paperworks. Excellent buying experience with MedPro.

I bought a Techart lowering module prior to receiving the Cayenne. I think it is aggressive looking enough for me right now, so I will be unloading this module at a loss.. pm me if interested.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Conundrum