Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

my cayenne jack broke--luckily tire was still on--

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:14 PM
lovethesport is on a distinguished road
my cayenne jack broke--luckily tire was still on--

the f****** collapsed right in the middle----

what would be a good replacement---how much weight capacity should the jack have---

Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 AM
GoingGreen is on a distinguished road
I have seen this a lot. I **** you not this story is true. About 7 years ago a buddy of mine had this super beater 80's honda accord. He didnt know $hit about cars and his alternator went out. So sense I knew how to replace anything on almost anything I offered to do it for a lunch. On these old accords the alternator is easiest accessed from the bottom. I jacked the car up with the factory jack and got underneath to take a look. So I got out from under to get the tool I needed an right in front of both of us just seconds after I got out the jack collapsed. My buddy and I looked at each other and our jaws dropped. I was seconds away from being crashed.

Its weird how $hit pans out some times and really makes you think about life. Wonder if I had an angle or something looking over me. Thats really like some final destinations stuff right there.

Anyways he begged me not to finished the job but I just went and got a real jack and put the wheel under it which I always do now.

Point of the story is never trust a factory jack of any car maker. I have had several bend. Lexus, Chrysler, and BMW all used from the model they came with. Its just not worth it. Imagine if you didnt get hurt and the car fell on the rotor. Rotors for a porsche cayenne are a lot less then a cheap floor jack made for that kind of weight.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 AM
FazTaz is on a distinguished road
As a safety precaution please put a spare tire under the jacked car in case your jack breaks or slips. Additionally if you actually are going to work under your car use proper jack stands. I still work on my cars and occasionally on my family's cars and I use 4 ton jacks stands and also put cinder blocks under the car just in case. I've heard horror stories of jacks collapsing or even the high end sport jacks looking pressure and slowly lowering the vehicle on the person working the car. Not the way I wanna go!