Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

What is the optimal wheel size?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
1Need4Speed is infamous around these parts
I have 22x10's on my CS, rides perfect, I don't off road and don't need to and it fills the wheel wells perfect

Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
i had 22 on my GTS. the ride was just okay, but only because i have the air suspension. i picked up a new cs with 18" yesterday and i kept saying today.. why did i get the 22 for?? i guess we all pay to look better.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Bill P. is infamous around these parts
Glad to hear that Trovan. I showed my manager photos of the Cayenne from the Build Your Own with three different wheels. Hey, she picked the stock wheels as her favorite! LOL

Just how big of a difference do you notice between your new and previous setup? Just curious. FYI, I am getting all of the suspension goodies.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Originally Posted by Bill P.
Glad to hear that Trovan. I showed my manager photos of the Cayenne from the Build Your Own with three different wheels. Hey, she picked the stock wheels as her favorite! LOL

Just how big of a difference do you notice between your new and previous setup? Just curious. FYI, I am getting all of the suspension goodies.

i usually drive on normal mode and is no big deal since i am used to hard ride. however, i am always careful to go around things to avoid harsh bumps, more importantly, i have always heard stories about wheels cracking. the ride gets much harder when i turn on the sports mode and not comfortable on local streets. my wife would prefer comfort mode when we go out. oveall, it wasn't a big deal but you definitely need to make some adjustment.

now with the 18" on the new car... it's like drving a luxury car in terms of the ride quality. but of course the handling and responsiveness is just awesome on the new cayenny.

i will likely get some 20" this time just to make life easier.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:40 AM
AD1
AD1 is infamous around these parts
20 is the best

Old 01-18-2011, 07:38 PM
RobsCountach is infamous around these parts
I know I'm late to the party here (what's new), but the overall diameter of the tire will NOT change. It'll just have a thinner sidewall to accommodate the larger rim. You can't change the diameter as it'll run havok with ABS, PMS, ETC...

It 'may' appear larger, but its not. I thinking of 20s, but fear the ride will be hell and I'll pickup everything in the road (flats).

Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 PM
pakundo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RobsCountach
I know I'm late to the party here (what's new), but the overall diameter of the tire will NOT change. It'll just have a thinner sidewall to accommodate the larger rim. You can't change the diameter as it'll run havok with ABS, PMS, ETC...

It 'may' appear larger, but its not. I thinking of 20s, but fear the ride will be hell and I'll pickup everything in the road (flats).

Hahaha..i also replied on this.........

Exactly.....Doesn't matter if you have 18's 20's 22's or 24's...put them all side by side and they all have the same height(eyes only getting fooled by the looks)..and if ever with a diff/altered wheel size...speedometer will read either too fast (shorter height ) or too slow (taller height).....

The bigger the rim diameter size the stiffer the ride.(less rubber less cushion)

imho...cheers!!

Last edited by pakundo; 01-18-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: old post...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 PM
S-B-D is infamous around these partsS-B-D is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bill P.
My '11 CS is on order, pretty much loaded up with all of the suspension goodies. I ordered the stock 18" wheels and will make a decision whether to upgrade when the truck arrives in two months.

From a handling point of view, what is the optimal wheel size for these trucks? I won't be tracking it but will drive it fairly hard. I don't mind paying extra for better handling but want to stop where larger diameter starts to interfere with ride quality (I have the TT for maximum fun). Should I consider any of the larger wheel sizes or a specific size to optimize cornering, lane changes, etc?

Advice appreciated, thanks much.
Two factors here:

1. What is your budget for wheels

2. Do you have air suspension

With regards to #1, to get a bigger wheel that is as light as a smaller wheel will cost more. Certainly, 21" forged wheels like HRE will cost $1200-$1500 each. If cost is a big factor, then go for a smaller wheel, since a big, lower cost wheel will be extremely heavy, adversely affecting both ride and handling.

With regards to #2, air suspension and the adjustability that comes with it will allow you to run a bigger wheel with lower profile tires and maintain ride comfort better than the steel spring suspension. My '09 GTS with air rides better on 21's than my previous '06 S without air did on 19's.

On a vehicle this size, I don't think you are going to affect handling that much by the wheel size pre se, unless you get just too heavy. Keep in mind, however, the availability of certain TIRE sizes. For instance, going to a 21" wheel will give you a variety of 295mm wide tires to chose from. I don't think this width is available on 18 and 19" wheels in an overall diameter that will fit the Cayenne.

My overall recommendations would be a 19 or 20" wheel if you do not have air suspension and 21" if you do.